spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Fox news Jr
@teksavvy.com

Fox news Jr

Anon

Sun News Mandatory Carriage Application

Sun News Mandatory Carriage Application: Network Seeks To Be Part Of Basic Cable Package

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/20 ··· 391.html

They can't make it in a free market where ratings mean revenue so now Sun news is asking the government to shove down our throat their lies and propaganda to be on basic cable. I don't think Canadians will go that low but the thing is Harper might need them for the next election.

Harper TV
@videotron.ca

Harper TV

Anon

Again?

I guess it was due. The CRTC did state this would be reviewed.

Fox news Jr
@teksavvy.com

Fox news Jr to Fox news Jr

Anon

to Fox news Jr
Staggering hypocrisy

»drdawgsblawg.ca/2012/11/ ··· sy.shtml

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000 to Fox news Jr

Premium Member

to Fox news Jr
I have no problem with them not having mandatory carry status, but at the same time I want all of the other news channels to be optional. I don't want to be forced to pay for Newsworld or Newsnet when I never watch them either.

dsa
@bell.ca

dsa to Fox news Jr

Anon

to Fox news Jr
It's Quebecor so they are doing the same that they did with LCN .

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

I have no problem with them not having mandatory carry status, but at the same time I want all of the other news channels to be optional. I don't want to be forced to pay for Newsworld or Newsnet when I never watch them either.

There's a case to be made for Canadian news channels having preferential status including must-carry. However Sun is not a news channel by any reasonable standards of either quality or objectivity.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000

Premium Member

said by Wolfie00:

There's a case to be made for Canadian news channels having preferential status including must-carry. However Sun is not a news channel by any reasonable standards of either quality or objectivity.

Because they don't report the with the slant you want? Or are you implying that CTV and CBC have no slant?

They can either try to support all viewpoints, or none. I'm no fan of Sun News, but I also don't like the blatant left leaning views of the other channels.
Expand your moderator at work

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000

Re: Sun News Mandatory Carriage Application

CBC is our national broadcaster, with a mandate to provide news and Canadian entertainment content. CBC Newsworld is our national 24-hour news channel and its mandate is to exclusively provide news, and it does so. Sun "News" is nothing more than a vehicle for extreme right op-eds and pushing an extreme political agenda, with as little interest in news as they have in facts. If you can't see the difference, and think that not only the CBC but other major networks all have "blatant left leaning views", then I suggest you look a little harder and a little more introspectively to see where the bias really is.

Rants R us
@videotron.ca

Rants R us to Wolfie00

Anon

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

said by TLS2000:

It's more like the rant channel.

Fox news Jr
@teksavvy.com

Fox news Jr to TLS2000

Anon

to TLS2000
Big difference between Newsworld or Newsnet Neither of those 2 channels offer hate, lies and propaganda like Sun News does.

Levant and Chiquita Banana slur
»j-source.ca/article/cbsc ··· -segment

Levant and the Roma hate speech
»albertadiary.ca/tag/toro ··· y-centre

CBSC upholds Krista Erickson's right to be an obnoxious twit
»www.straight.com/article ··· ous-twit

The list goes on and on and they only been on air for over a year!!!
Fox news Jr

Fox news Jr to Fox news Jr

Anon

to Fox news Jr
Here's a taste of Sun News Network

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· youtu.be

This is how Section 319 of Canada’s Criminal Code defines hate speech:

"(1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of an indictable offence ...

(2) Willful promotion of hatred: Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, willfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of an indictable offence ..."

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

Because they don't report the with the slant you want? Or are you implying that CTV and CBC have no slant?

As amusing and even sometimes correct Ezra Levant can be, very good friends of mine who are card-carrying Conservatives are embarrassed by the crap that ends up on Sun News. One friend said that their coverage of the US election was the last draw and that it was the beginning of a slow and painful death. The fact that they are crying for mandatory carriage - you know, the champion of the free market taking on the CBC crying for the government to bail them out, hahaha - sort of speaks to that.

CBC and CTV may have a slant. If they do, it is certainly something that isn't overtly in your face and far more subtle than what they're competing with. Sun News takes that bias to a level beyond and into something so blatantly obviously biased that no reasonable person could ever considering anything they show to be more than inflammatory rhetoric. The only people I know of who actually think Sun News provides anything useful beyond think that Obama is a Muslim who was born in Kenya. Seriously. I am not making that up.

I say this as someone who thought Sun News would shake things up, provide a reasonable but alternative viewpoint and gave them a fair chance, only to see them turn into something far worse than even Fox News stateside. To which - if I ever see Michael Coren in person, I will punch him in the mouth for no reason other than for being an asshole.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Gone:

CBC and CTV may have a slant. If they do, it is certainly something that isn't overtly in your face and far more subtle than what they're competing with. Sun News takes that bias to a level beyond

It's strange that I agree with this, as I weigh CBC's subtle manipulation of the news to suit one bias with the Sun's 'in your face' journalism suiting another bias, and I find the Sun's bias to be more offensive despite the fact that we're forced to pay for the CBC's little agendas.

I suppose presentation is everything and the Sun's presentation detracts another point on top of the point they both lose for bias; although it still bother me that the CBC portrays itself as "Canada's broadcaster" and people of a certain alignment go on about how it's a Canadian institution and blah blah blah, when they're really the broadcaster for a certain alignment.

With that being said, we're already paying for one bias that leans to the left so it seems like a good idea to have a bias that leans to the right, kind of a counterbalance; but I doubt the sun could turn things down a notch as there's a market for their brand of journalism. Their behaviour doesn't represent their political alignment so well.

If I had a vote I'd vote 'no' but suggest they come back to the table when they've grown up.

Fox news Jr
@teksavvy.com

Fox news Jr

Anon

I find the CBC a bit too much to the right these days All we see on their shows is conservatives MPs and shows based on capitalism Dragon's Den, The Big Decision etc... they should try to steer a bit more towards center as for their news I think it's fairly balanced they always bring 2 sides of the story. As for CTV and Global I think they are just giant American TV repeaters for Canada why bother watching an American show on CTV or Global while you can watch it on NBC or ABC

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Trolling aside, he sort of makes a point. It's all a matter of perspective.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

I suppose if you go out of your way to exaggerate an unrealistic perspective that's not at all steeped in reality. A behavioural analysis of previous posts suggests 'not trolling'.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

I suppose if you go out of your way to exaggerate an unrealistic perspective that's not at all steeped in reality.

Therein lies the issue - one person's perspective is not necessarily that of someone else, and when you're dealing with issues of opinion - rather than fact - all you end up with are circular arguments where no one will convince anyone else that their opinion is any less valid.

While not necessarily applicable to the CBC, this kind of identical squabbling happens over the Globe & Mail all the time and, to a lesser extent, about CTV. People on the left consider it biased to the right, people on the right consider it biased to the left, and I suppose if they're pissing both sides off they must be doing something right.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

So are you suggesting to me that your analysis of the Sun is just your opinion and not a fact?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Of course. Everything that's been stated here with regards to how someone feels about Sun News is nothing more than various levels of opinion.

To which, family members of mine who think Obama is a Kenyan-born Muslim think that Sun News is perfectly balanced truth and that we should all be so lucky to have such a solid source of news. Of course, their assessment of Obama's religion and birth is not factual, so one can put two and two together to see that their opinions aren't exactly educated ones.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

I feel your pain......I have family members who are certifiably nuts - they vote Conservative.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

I feel your pain......I have family members who are certifiably nuts - they vote Conservative.

There are even more people in my family who aren't nuts who vote Conservative.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

1 edit

corster to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by TLS2000:

As amusing and even sometimes correct Ezra Levant can be, very good friends of mine who are card-carrying Conservatives are embarrassed by the crap that ends up on Sun News. One friend said that their coverage of the US election was the last draw and that it was the beginning of a slow and painful death.

I say this as someone who thought Sun News would shake things up, provide a reasonable but alternative viewpoint and gave them a fair chance, only to see them turn into something far worse than even Fox News stateside.

This. I was very eager to see the station when they launched, watched it for a bit because it was OTA. Frankly, it's just terrible.

The very least I can say about FOX News is that they have a functional news division to go along with their commentary, and their personalities do occasionally say something insightful (lots of nonsense too, don't get me wrong). Plus, they have production value.

SUN, well they have none of the above.

For all intents and purposes, i'm in SUN's target audience - Conservative, Politically Engaged, TV news viewer. Yet my TV is more likely to be tuned to CNN, BBC, and CBC than FOX or SUN.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
I disagree with you, in your favour. Lately I've been scrutinizing the news to a fine degree and comparing what's covered with what's omitted by various news organizations and I strongly feel that a sense of bias can be accurately proved after an analysis of examples. Either a number of our news organizations are inept or they're massaging the truth for their expected viewers, readers and listeners.

Suggesting that something is a matter of perception is fine when we're talking about intangible thoughts and ideas, but when it's concerning a topic with examples and comparisons, it's no longer a 'matter of perception' and it becomes a matter of fact.

Do you pass gas in public, thinking that it shouldn't matter because the smell is a matter of perception? If someone complained after you let one rip, would you respond that it shouldn't matter because it's just a matter of perception? Either way, most people would agree that it's a fact that your shit does stink.

It's a "matter of perception" when you perceive something that doesn't exist, but when you have proof that this 'something' exists... it becomes fact. I have no doubt that you and others here could prove to me that the Sun has a bias in varying directions that are contrary to hard left site like Huffingtonpost.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to Fox news Jr

to Fox news Jr
you mean you people actually pay for cable off bell or rogers or some such?
so 80's.....
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot to Fox news Jr

to Fox news Jr
Man, who needs cable this day and age. This ain't 1990 anymore. :-P