uniqs
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

What good is ESPN3 when all my games are blacked out?

Sure I could watch some west coast football games if I wanted to but I'm in B1G country. I don't care about the PAC10 or SEC or whatever else is out there. I want to see B1G games. But I haven't been able to see one B1G vs B1G game on ESPN3 online all year because they all have been blacked out.

I could watch them on my TV.. but then I ask again.. what good is ESPN3 if I don't even use it or better yet.. CAN'T even use it?

Why are we paying for this service in the first place?
baess
join:2011-01-28

2 edits

baess

There is an old thread and I thought the gist of it was that since WatchESPN changed, WOW has not been a full participator (for lack of a better term).

I believe it was said that Comcast and other Cable Cos. are and their subscribers see more than we do with WOW.

It seemed to me someone just needed to let WOW know about the change and perhaps they would be a full provider.

Maybe this isn't exactly the issue when it comes to what is blacked out but still I think WOW needs to get further on board than they are now.

btB
@rr.com

btB to Body Count

Anon

to Body Count
I am not a WOW subscriber but what happens for Time Warner and maybe Comcast is that their internet-with-tv subscribers also have access to live streams of games on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU. That is how they are seeing the blackout games. It is not technically via ESPN3 even though it is viewed on the same webpage.

Time Warner internet subscribers who do not pay for tv service would not see any blackout games. This benefit was something agreed to during negotiations.

ESPN3 does not want to show you a local game unless you already pay for ESPN on your tv package. And, they will not stream it even if you pay for ESPN unless your ISP has an ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU streaming rights agreement with ESPN.

Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

Well we are paying for this service and the service can't do what what it needs to do.

And when I mean we are paying for it.. I know WOW is paying ESPN for the right to broadcast it over the internet, but WOW passed that fee onto us by bumping up our monthly bill by a little bit. So in essence we are paying for it.
baess

baess

said by Body Count:

Well we are paying for this service and the service can't do what what it needs to do.

And when I mean we are paying for it.. I know WOW is paying ESPN for the right to broadcast it over the internet, but WOW passed that fee onto us by bumping up our monthly bill by a little bit. So in essence we are paying for it.

Send an email. I really think WOW just never reupped when ESPN changed the program. WOW should be at the same level as the other cable cos bTB mentioned.
boopin
join:2011-08-25
Pickerington, OH

boopin to baess

to baess
said by baess:

There is an old thread and I thought the gist of it was that since WatchESPN changed, WOW has not been a full participator (for lack of a better term).

Yep, it was my thread. ESPN3 is basically useless now outside of watching highlights/old games on there if you really want to. Needs to be fully upgraded to WatchESPN for it to matter.

OSU basketball game was ESPN3 only today and it was STILL blacked out because there was a bunch of football on obviously and I guess ESPN didn't want to risk someone seeing something they don't think they should.
baess

baess

This hit home tonight.

Could not watch my alma mater in the MAC Championship game online as it was blacked out on ESPN3 via espn.go.com

When trying to watch it on WatchESPN/ESPN2 WOW is not a listed provider.
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

Hey WOW_Dan, any chance can you look into this for us?

B1G basketball season is right around the corner and I'd like to watch some games while at work (dont comment on that lol). You can link your cable company to your ESPN login letting you watch them at work over your work internet.

It was helpful at the start of the year during the NCAA Tourney. I worked some night shifts and instead of missing the games, I got to see them.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to Body Count

Premium Member

to Body Count
The reason games get blacked out on national channels such as ESPN is almost always because a local TV provider has the rights to broadcast that game locally. In the case that say your local CBS affiliate has the rights to a game that ESPN has the rights to nationally, it will be blacked out on ESPN in that area. There's nothing WOW can do about this, as it's not anything we control. If ESPN blacks it out, it's because they aren't allowed to show it.
Body Count
Columbus, OH

Body Count

But the ESPN3 package is no longer being used. ESPN upgraded their online service and WOW cable doesn't show up on the list of providers anymore.

That's what I'm trying to get at. WOW needs to update their contract with ESPN.
baess

baess

Like he said, WOW is not listed as a WatchESPN participating provider.

»espn.go.com/watchespn/af ··· videosub

They are listed for ESPN3, which is different.

»espn.go.com/watchespn/affList
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

said by baess:

Whenever I select a game to watch live on espn.com, it always brings up the WatchESPN page, not ESPN3. It's like ESPN is moving away from ESPN3 and going to WatchESPN.
boopin
join:2011-08-25
Pickerington, OH

boopin

said by Body Count:

said by baess:

Whenever I select a game to watch live on espn.com, it always brings up the WatchESPN page, not ESPN3. It's like ESPN is moving away from ESPN3 and going to WatchESPN.

They are. ESPN3 is pretty much obsolete so WOW supporting that and not WatchESPN is like RedBox renting out VHS tapes and not DVD's.

Maybe since Dan has responded in this thread he might take a look at it now and see if anything's being done about it... since it's been discussed on here for months now.
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

Still waiting for WatchESPN to be an option for WOW customers.

March Madness is right around the corner. I won't be able to watch any B1G games on ESPN3 because they will be blacked out. They will be shown on WatchESPN though.

We got BTN2GO already which is a good thing. We need WatchESPN now.
baess

baess

Someone from WOW was supposed to look in to it. That was more than a month ago and I never saw a follow up.

Send emails.