join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to DownTheShore

Re: [FYI] Just Checking In

Just to give the final results on this -

My sister was finally able to go onto the barrier island today. The window we thought was blown out, actually wasn't, but one of the panes of one of the windows facing the ocean was. Based on the interior water line, she had about 3 inches of water in the cottage. But the worst news is that the slab the cottage is on cracked down the middle, separated from the house sill and dropped about 6 inches below the cottage walls. She's thinking, from other indicators, that the sewer line in the street and the connection to the cottage collapsed, creating a sinkhole that the ocean water that was flowing down the street further exacerbated. The only good thing about the situation is that the gap around the base of the house has allowed air to circulate, so the mold situation wasn't as bad as she thought it was going to be, and it also allowed whatever water that got into the cottage to drain out.

The irony of this is that this is one of the few types of construction repairs that my B-I-L and nephews won't be able to do on their own, since it's probably going to involve jacking up the cottage and either repouring a slab or putting in a foundation and crawlspace. A contractor acquaintance said that the going rate for that kind of repair is $20,000.

She said that the damage in the area is much more widespread when seen from the ground. Streets in her community are hard to get through because of all the soft beach sand in the roadways and various sinkholes. Lots of cottages have damage to roofs and siding. The ocean front cottages are basically all destroyed, the row of cottages behind them are all damaged. Cottages closer to the bay were all flooded.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Sign the petition: »www.change.org/petitions/target-···ksgiving

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
kudos:1

Thanks for the up-date and good luck.

--
November is National Epilepsy Month