uniqs

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

[DIRECTV] $99 for a new box?!

My friend has 2 Standard boxes and just bought 2 HD Sets and Directv wants $99/box to get HD with $6/month/box?! Any way around this?

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts

Premium Member

Not that I know of. I had to pay upfront for 3 of my 4 receivers when I signed-up. They had a deal at the time where my first receiver was "free". I paid $99 for the second HDDVR and $50 for the 2 HD receivers. One receiver will not have the $6/month lease fee.
sven_kirk3
join:2002-07-23
Lithia Springs, GA

sven_kirk3 to WK2

to WK2
Is he under contract? I was able to get the new Genie system, plus one client box, for free. But I just came back from ATT after 6 months.

If he is not on contract, call and threaten to cancel. See what they can offer. If not anything good was offered, then talk to the supervisor.

steve1a
MVM
join:2001-05-07
Berkeley, CA

steve1a to WK2

MVM

to WK2
I wouldn't use the term threatening but do ask to talk with customer retention & politely suggest that you have been comparing offers with other providers however your preference would be to remain with D*TV and see if there are any current offers they could offer you to keep you as a customer.

Bottom line they are a "service provider" and any changes will lock you into a new 2 year contract so they so have wiggle room with the equipment which even if you " buy it" you are in reality leasing from them with the expectation that it will be returned if you cancel service.

The second $6 dollar fee is for a mirrored receiver the primary receiver should not have the $ 6 dollar charge.

They should also be able to waive the fee for HD content which is like $10 a month for at least a year. I have had to call and have them re-waive this a couple of time noting that other providers do not charge extra for HD content.

I have found over the years that I if I talk directly with customer retention I have always worked out some type of beneficial deal.

I have had D*TV since early 1999 so I have earned some "loyal customer" leverage.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

I recently needed to add another HD receiver and D* wanted to charge around $200. I called back and got to cancellations/retention and they got it added with me paying the $200 then getting a bill credit for the same amount. We were/are still under contract.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

1 recommendation

WK2

Premium Member

This is what they said when I emailed them

"The normal cost to upgrade is $199 for HD DVRs and $99 for HD receivers, plus any additional taxes, handling, or install fees that may apply. Since you are a loyal customer, we are able to offer you up to 2 free receiver upgrades with our Whole Home DVR system, for just $99 for all of it. There would be a $49 install fee that applies, however, They willing to waive this fee for you. "
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

dont forget you will enter a new 2 year agreement
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc

Commitment should not matter -Having the SD service "older boxes" means the person has been a sub for a long time anyway.

Even if he moves
1. he can take the service with him
2. If unable to get service (installed) at new address -Commitment Dies (goes away)

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2 to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
I absolutely disagree with this practice..

Unless I have the ability to buy the equipment outright, and have it setup on their system, they should NOT be able to charge me to "get" any equipment, PERIOD!!!

This is flat out extortion!

I am paying to get the equipment and I am paying a rental fee too!?!?

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

1 edit

pende_tim

Premium Member

I have always wondered about that. I pay, lets say $99.00, for a new box and a monthly service charge for the box. When I leave DirecTV I have to return the box so I have not really purchased it. And I do not get my $99.00 back.

The way I look at it, over a 24 month contract my subscription cost is not the $59.00/month advertised ( or what ever ) but is $59.00 + $99/24= $63/ month. + all the monthly receiver fees, HD fees, etc etc.

wags
@50.44.8.x

wags to WK2

Anon

to WK2
Could you try Craigslist or like service for a receiver?

I'm a Dish sub, and I bought my 722 outright from there(it was new in box).

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to JRW2

Premium Member

to JRW2
said by JRW2:

I am paying to get the equipment and I am paying a rental fee too!?!?

you really only own the plastic housing its in. DTV still owns the guts[like the phone company did years ago when you bought your own phone]