uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

[FireFox] No New Tab button Windows 8

There is no new tab button in Customize toolbars so that I can drag it to the address bar next to where I dragged the Home button.

I am using Fx 10 ESR on Windows 8 Pro. I have Fx 10 ESR on an older computer running XP Pro and the new tab button was in Customize I think.

I am using Fx default theme.

Currently, I have to choose File/New tab- ridiculous.

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI

Konaguy

Premium Member

This Firefox extension may help resolve your issue.

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· /?src=ss

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

2 recommendations

Grail Knight to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I saw the writing on the wall when you said you bought a new computer with Win 8. Bookmark the links below and use them before asking questions. They will teach you how to handle and tame Win 8 or at least give you a good start.

For Fx theme and extensions visit the site below and look around:
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· firefox/

For all things Win8 visit:
»tweaks.com/windows-8/

»computershopper.com/feat ··· der-tips

Windows 8 MS Download Center
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· indows+8

Windows 8 Compatibility Center

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· ge=en-US
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Konaguy

Premium Member

to Konaguy
Thanks, Konaguy. That works fine.
Mele20

Mele20 to Grail Knight

Premium Member

to Grail Knight
I have already read some of those links, but thank you as I have not read all of them. I have read a lot of stuff about Win 8 and printed out a great deal also. It doesn't help that my network sees this new machine TWICE, refuses to see the older XP machine, BUT sees an XP virtual machine running on the XP Host machine it doesn't see. So, I can't access shared files (I shared the entire C drive just before I set up the new machine) on the older hardware machine, can't access the printer which is physically attached to the XP host machine (it is very finicky and will run on only ONE specific USB port so I am reluctant to move it to the new machine), and can't access my external hard drive which is attached to the XP host machine (where I exported Fx Bookmarks just before setting up the new machine and I can't shut it down to remove and attach to the new machine because I have to attach the monitor to the XP machine to do an orderly shut down of the external drive). To make things even more difficult, I have only the one monitor so I have to disconnect it and reconnect to the other machine. (I plan to buy a new monitor but am waiting on the Dell gift card to use).

Plus, Dell sent a multi media keyboard that I can't get used to so far. It is a low, flat key one that is extremely difficult to type on. I constantly hit the caps lock key, have the space bar jump two spaces when I hit once and I alread,y in only 24 hours, have a blister on the outside of my right thumb from hitting the space bar. I was in WalMart an hour ago and all the keyboards there now are these little thin things without normal keys. I like that there are no open places for the crumbs, etc to gather in. This will be extremely easy to keep clean, but I have grave doubts that I can get used to it. It is like typing on concrete. Very jarring to the fingers and I have a seriously injured thumb (couldn't use my right hand for a week and it still is somewhat swollen) sooo...I just needed that nice little extension that I had forgotten about that gives me the New Tab icon.

I really like some things about Win 8...many things I hope I can make less irritating and some things I hate. A couple of things I hate could be a deal breaker and I may have to exercise my downgrade rights. Gadwin Print Screen is supposed to be compatible with Win 8 but if I hit some key (I'm not sure which...not a key near PrintScreen key) it tries to run. It has tried about ten times as I typed this. So, my plate is rather full right now but I will look at your links (the ones I haven't seen already) when I have time. (Plus, my old computer is dying and I need to get files off of it as soon as possible).

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

1 edit

Grail Knight

Premium Member

You already know my feelings about Dell from past posts but if that is all you have a choice of in HI that delivers you take what you can get.

I would lose the keyboard Dell sent and invest in a good MS or Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Ergonomics are generally better.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

There are no keyboards in the stores here (including Logitech ones) except this low key type. I am not buying a keyboard off the internet as you can't try it out first. Evidently, this is the latest "rage" in keyboards. I'm sure Dell will exchange this one for a different one but not sure they have any that are non-low key and decent. This one is a multimedia one and not one of Dell's cheapest junk ones. It ships with the XPS 8500 and Alienware machines. But it is very difficult to type on. If you type slowly it is not too bad...but a touch typist who is good types very fast and this keyboard has a lag besides having no give to the keys...I suppose it is like typing on a laptop keyboard...I have never had a laptop and always thought it would be hell to type on those keyboards and terrible ergonomically because you have to type above and beyond the touch pad.

Dell and HP are about the only two who offer reasonably good hardware and software (not that I should need the latter) extended warranty for a full five years with next business day in home repair. It is for this reason that I have stayed with Dell. Plus, it is very difficult now to find a nice desktop. You almost have to either order from one of the boutique makers or build your own. The latter would have interested me ten years ago but not now as I get aches and pains (my hand, lower back) and might not be able to support myself for problems. The boutique makers are not good for Hawaii because you have to pay to ship a machine to them to be repaired even when under an extended warranty you bought from them. I think costco would be ok but my town is the only area in Hawaii with no Costco (nearest is 100 miles away and $30 in gas) and one will never come here because they refuse to lease from Dept of Hawaiian Homesteads Land like all other retailers have done and there is no land for them to purchase near present shopping centers which is what they like to do. So, I am stuck with Dell or HP and Dell has better computers.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

We have used that Logitech keyboard I linked as an example for years here. Keyboard response is excellent as is battery life. The mouse will last about 3-4 years before I wear one out drawing or making themes.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

The one you have is one of very few Logitech makes that is not low profile keys. But I don't like palm rests. Palm rests force you to bend your wrists to have your hands above the rest for typing. Logitech says that keyboard keeps you from bending your wrists but I think it is the opposite. I never bend my wrists with regular keyboards. My hand are not resting on anything when I type. I type like I learned on a non-electric typewriter when I was a kid. The problem with this new low profile keyboard is that it is way too different from a typewriter keyboard. The old computer keyboards were more like typewriter ones. This kind completely disrupts your rhythm. If you are young and never learned typewriter typing then it might be different but I need a keyboard as much like a typewriter one as possible ...plus a manual keyboard would be best as even electric typewriter keyboards are not as good as the old fashioned manual ones. My mother still types on an ancient Royal and folks marvel that she can do that and still has almost the speed and non errors she had when young. I've never really liked any computer keyboards...you really need to have never typed on real typewriters to be able to do well on a computer keyboard.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

The palm rest is not even touched when you put the feet down on the underside of the keyboard.

If you lay it flat then your wrist will rest on the keyboard.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Ok, but I hate that. I want a real tilt so that my wrists rest on the pull out tray that holds the keyboard. This new keyboard has almost no tilt and you have to hold your wrists above the tray and no support for the wrists. You cannot typed on a keyboard that is flat unless you hold your wrists up all the time. I want a fully tiltable keyboard with no fat palm rest to put your wrists. Your wrists should sit on the tray not on the keyboard. I can't type on a laptop for the same reason...the keyboard is too flat and it is extremely difficult to type on a laptop.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

It is too bad your stores do not carry the latest wireless keyboards from MS and Logitech. You might just be surprised how comfortable they are to type on let alone their keyboard customization features.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I saw two wireless ones in Wal-Mart from Logitech but they are the low key ones. I am back on the XP machine and I can type again properly. Plus, this older keyboard is very quiet and the new one is noisy besides it having no give to the keys. There is no lag on this old one. I don't get a lot too many spaces between words and even between letters in words like I do on the new one. I don't constantly accidentally hit the capslock key like I do on the new keyboard. It is a great relief to be back on the older keyboard. The difference between the two keyboards is astounding. I love the "give" when I hit a key on this old board as compared to a feeling of bangng my fingers on concrete that is unforgivin, with no give, on the new keyboard.

The new keyboard requires a very light touch which at my age, and having trained as a 11 year old on a manual typewriter, is too drastic a change I think. My mother couldn't even adjust to an electric typewriter and still types very fast, at her very old age, on an old manual typewriter that she hunt and hunt for a ribbon for several years ago. The new keyboards are fine though for kids just starting out typing.

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI

Konaguy

Premium Member

Pale Moon doesn't have a new tab button in the tool bar, so I had to use the above extension to add it there.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

It's weird to me because on my XP Pro virtual machine that also runs Fx 10 ESR, the default Fx theme has a new tab icon...doesn't look like the one I got from your link. So, I don't understand why Fx 10 ESR on Win 8 doesn't have the icon because it too uses the default theme. Ahhh....it's the Persona. I just installed a new Persona and got a whole bunch of icons in customize that were not there for the other Persona.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 edit

chachazz to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
This is latest ESR 10 on Win 8... The button is there...move it around, remove it (drag into customize box), whatever......

Image 1 - default position upon install.
Image 2 - when in 'customize' window
Image 3 - moved to another position

Perhaps it's time to upgrade to the latest ESR and make a clean start - a new profile.

Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

This IS a brand new install of Fx 10.0.10 ESR with a NEW profile, new download of all extensions. Only thing "old" is that I just imported bookmarks from my XP computer.

I remembered that this happens depending on the Persona installed. Used to Personas all seemed to use the default theme strata's icons but recently the Personas seem to have their own icons like real themes for Fx have always have.

I just installed a new persona and it gave me "zoom icons" that I didn't have before and some other new ones like "new window" and "undo close".

I know Fx 10 ESR just did the yearly update. But we have three months when both versions will be supported. With everything else on my plate with Win 8, new computer, etc the last thing I need right now is to have to learn what will be a very different Fx version. I installed SeaMonkey first, and it is the latest version with no learning curve but Proxo doesn't work on it and Proxo does not work on IE 10 (IE 10 barely works anyway) so I do not want to introduce anymore problems right now. Proxo works just fine on Fx 10.0.10 ESR. Proxo works fine on the latest SeaMonkey on XP. But SeaMonkey is NOT supported for Windows 8 and some developers said to me "Support Win 8? Why the hell should we do that"? Nobody, including many browser developers, like Windows 8.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I just installed a new persona and it gave me "zoom icons" that I didn't have before and some other new ones like "new window" and "undo close".

Proabably a bad persona - zoom and new window are standard icons.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

It was Little Flowers which is extremely popular and highly rated. But I don't know where the icons are from anyway.