Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore

Re: UTM cookies forced here on Fx and IE! HELP!

I will not allow Google to rape me of my privacy and these are GOOGLE cookies. I don't even allow Yahoo, Facebook garbage, twitter or any crap when I have my Hosts file set up (which I don't yet). You want to be raped by Google...be my guest...but I won't allow it.

If Justin would like me to pay $10 a year instead of one time, I will do that. I will NOT though allow Google raping. I can go buy some tool points to support the site...I have tool points I have not used, but I can buy more, but I think Justin should just ask us to pay $10 a year instead of one time and stop with the Google tracking crap.

Obviously, you do not understand how tracking and privacy invasion works. I suggest you do some reading. You should NOT have a Google account and NEVER use Gmail or reply to anyone using GMail. Never allow any Google cookies. Set up Google Sharing extension on Fx which obscures all Google searches so you cannot be tracked that way.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms

Premium Member

Help me learn about internet rape. Exactly what private information about YOU (obviously you are not just an unidentified droid on a net connection) is available using cookies placed by Google that violates you?

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

2 recommendations

Dustyn to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I think Justin should just ask us to pay $10 a year instead of one time and stop with the Google tracking crap.

Careful what you wish for.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

said by Dustyn:

Careful what you wish for.

This. And, the tracking would still be there.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

4 recommendations

DownTheShore to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I will not allow Google to rape me of my privacy and these are GOOGLE cookies....You want to be raped by Google...be my guest...but I won't allow it.

I will NOT though allow Google raping.

Obviously, you do not understand how tracking and privacy invasion works. I suggest you do some reading. You should NOT have a Google account and NEVER use Gmail or reply to anyone using GMail. Never allow any Google cookies. Set up Google Sharing extension on Fx which obscures all Google searches so you cannot be tracked that way.

Obviously you do not comprehend what rape truly is, otherwise you would not throw around that word so blithely and in such a wrong context.

I know very well how tracking is done and what kind of privacy can be lost. But we all give up a degree of privacy in all aspects of our lives just to interact with the rest of the world. It's all a matter of perspective on what is worth keeping secret about ourselves and what isn't. To try to control every stray 0-and-1 of data on ourselves and hug it to our bosom as if they were nuggets of pure platinum seems to me to be an exercise in futility; IMO, that just leads to obsession rather than actual security, especially since any one with $29.95 in their pocket can get a full data report on every aspect of your life. And when we're dead, all that data will be useless anyway.

Personally, I don't give a damn what is in Google's database on me because it can't be any more comprehensive than that which the Federal government has on me as a former Federal employee. I gave up any expectation of true anonymity long ago when I took that job. So Google might know which webpages I visit - big deal, so does my ISP. So they might know what I buy - so does my credit card company, my bank and my local supermarket. So they might read my email; my employer had that right all along while I was working and I've never assumed that any email is private. They can use whatever information they have to try to target marketing to me but it doesn't work because my other software strips out the ads and I never see the results of all their nefarious endeavors. This way they are kept happy thinking they are mining data, people have jobs with Google correlating all that data, those happy business entrepreneurs who buy the data happily hire workers, and I continue to happily surf the web never being bothered by the results of all that busy activity.

Hakuna matata.

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4

Premium Member

said by DownTheShore:

......Personally, I don't give a damn what is in Google's database on me because it can't be any more comprehensive than that which the Federal government has on me as a former Federal employee.....So they might read my email; my employer had that right all along while I was working and I've never assumed that any email is private. They can use whatever information they have to try to target marketing to me but it doesn't work because my other software strips out the ads and I never see the results of all their nefarious endeavors.

That info you willing give up can still be used against you.
Sites that offer discounts etc. can deliberately target who they offer them to and to what percentage they feels best represents their best interest. Loyalty cards are a good example of how in order to get discounts you agree to hand over you data in exchange. It's well known that shops do not have to offer the same price to each customer.
While there isn't much of this profile v's price system ATM your can be sure it will develop. A few bits of specific data on an individual is all it takes to pidgeon hole you into a class.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

So, what if I do not use, nor give a damn about a loyalty card? What then? I'd say they've spent money stupidly on something they'll never get. That is, my business.

ashrc4
Premium Member
australia

ashrc4

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

So, what if I do not use, nor give a damn about a loyalty card? What then? I'd say they've spent money stupidly on something they'll never get. That is, my business.

I was not just talking about Loyalty Cards. If you can imagine using a site that does profile it's users.
Say Amazon decides instead of using it's profiling to make suggestions on what book it wants to sell you next decides that after a report on "how to better fleece customers based on profiles"
comes out that they better start classing their customers and charging based on that report before their compeditors do.

Unless you have knowledge of other peoples price they were charged or weak enough not to care about price difference (potentially minimal) then ad-blocking is not suffice.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore to ashrc4

Premium Member

to ashrc4
said by ashrc4:

said by DownTheShore:

......Personally, I don't give a damn what is in Google's database on me because it can't be any more comprehensive than that which the Federal government has on me as a former Federal employee.....So they might read my email; my employer had that right all along while I was working and I've never assumed that any email is private. They can use whatever information they have to try to target marketing to me but it doesn't work because my other software strips out the ads and I never see the results of all their nefarious endeavors.

That info you willing give up can still be used against you.
Sites that offer discounts etc. can deliberately target who they offer them to and to what percentage they feels best represents their best interest. Loyalty cards are a good example of how in order to get discounts you agree to hand over you data in exchange. It's well known that shops do not have to offer the same price to each customer.
While there isn't much of this profile v's price system ATM your can be sure it will develop. A few bits of specific data on an individual is all it takes to pidgeon hole you into a class.

But that presumes that I'm even interested in taking advantage in their discounts, which I'm not. To me, shopping is one of the levels of Hell and is something that must very occasionally be done with great dislike; it's not a competitive sport in my book. The supermarket spits out those discount coupons with my sale receipt and I toss them away, usually without even looking at them because I know that a) either it's something I'm not going to buy in the amount they want it bought, or b) I'll just forget that I had the coupon in the first place and won't have it with me if I actually did make that purchase. They can pigeon-hole me all they want; it's my hand that actually withdraws the money from my wallet.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut to ashrc4

Premium Member

to ashrc4
The problem is, I don't use Amazon, or EBay. I don't usually buy things off the web stores. I realize I am in the minority, though. To be honest, I just don't trust the process anymore.

But, even in a B&M store, my info is guarded carefully, and I don't give it without a very good reason.

But, to reiterate, you can target me all you want, but I still am not going to buy via an ad on a computer, or a cell device.

I guess I'm just old school in that regard, and not a frantic consumer.

ashrc4
Premium Member
australia

1 edit

ashrc4 to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

But that presumes that I'm even interested in taking advantage in their discounts, which I'm not.

Websites don't have to be seen to offer discounts....If it comes from a profile based decision then they can start using it...especially if they can out perform their compeditors on other levels...such as price to begin with.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

But, to reiterate, you can target me all you want, but I still am not going to buy via an ad on a computer, or a cell device.

I realize this is OT but I share your concerns about using CC data online.
That doesn't stop me from ordering online though.
Whether it's about local availability, price etc... I use pre-paid Visa/MC cards to order online without undue risk or apprehension.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to ashrc4

Premium Member

to ashrc4
said by ashrc4:

said by DownTheShore:

But that presumes that I'm even interested in taking advantage in their discounts, which I'm not.

Websites don't have to be seen to offer discounts....If it comes from a profile based decision then they can start using it...especially if they can out perform their compeditors on other levels...such as price to begin with.

My point, though, is that if I'm not inclined to spend the money (or don't even have it in the first place to spend), then they can target me as precisely as they can but it's still going to be a wasted effort on their part because I'm not going to buy what they are selling.

I am also a very lazy person and I'm not going to physically go out of my way just to get a "bargain". I don't scan supermarket flyers to see what's on sale that week and bunny hop from store to store to take advantage of them. If I've got money in my pocket and I need some groceries I stop at whatever supermarket is on my way home. I'm the type of person who doesn't leave her house on Black Friday or December 26th, and I don't even know when Cyber Monday is supposed to be.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
I pretty much have all the major items I need right now, and online isn't cheaper for me. I can negotiate better in store usually.

Besides, Xmas is coming, and the bargains will be there for most things. I have nothing on my list though to buy. You can blame me for not stimulating the economy!

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

4 recommendations

Steve to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Obviously, you do not understand how tracking and privacy invasion works.

Obviously, you believe that you know how to decide for everybody else, those others being incapable of informed consent as to how they interact with the rest of the universe.