spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Anon4

@rogers.com

[Express] Painfully Slow Connection, any ideas?

Hey guys, I'm dealing with sub 1Mb download speeds and was wondering if you guys might have anything that could help me?

It's pretty sad. I was at 25Mb when we got hooked up 3 months ago, but for 3 weeks now I've been dealing with this, but only on my desktop laptops work fine. Im using a Linksys AE1000 dual-band wireless card, and I've tried a sketchy looking TP link one my friend lent me, it can push it to about 1.5-2Mb/s.

A technician came today and gave us a new modem, it's painfully slow but at least I can connect. Any ideas?

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

said by Anon4 :

only on my desktop laptops work fine.

So you're saying your desktop is the only device running this slowly, and your laptops run at full speed?

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

4 edits
reply to Anon4

well, if the lapper works and the desktop don't that pretty much narrows it down. It's most likely a hardware/driver issue in the desktop.

-REMOVE the wireless network card.
-Update your desktop motherboard ethernet drivers.
-Reboot the computer.

Disconnect the router and hardwire the desktop to the modem. (you'll probably need to reboot the modem to pick up the desktop IP address). Run a ping test and a speedtest. Make sure you're connected to the correct 10/100/1000 gigabit port on the mobo. some mobos have two gigabit ports and controllers.

Report back with the results and mobo make/model and router make/model and modem make/model. Also check all your network cables/connections just to be sure.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to Anon4

said by Anon4 :

It's pretty sad. I was at 25Mb when we got hooked up 3 months ago, but for 3 weeks now I've been dealing with this, but only on my desktop laptops work fine. Im using a Linksys AE1000 dual-band wireless card, and I've tried a sketchy looking TP link one my friend lent me, it can push it to about 1.5-2Mb/s.

Since you desktop is using wireless connectivity it sounds like you've got an interference source that's causing the problem.

If you are using a wireless mouse/keyboard or some other wireless device in close proximity to your desktop like Bluetooth devices and/or wireless telephones they all will contribute to your issue.

One way to solve your desktop issue is to have the AE1000 only use the 5 Ghz band --- but if some of your wireless devices [phones] also use the 5 Ghz band then you still will have this issue at the desktop unless you move those devices much farther away. If you do have 5 Ghz phones I suggest that you switch to DECT 6.0 phones -- those will not interfere with your desktop wireless connectivity.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

Anon4

@rogers.com
reply to Anon4

Thanks for your help guys. Sadly, I followed your suggestions and got nothing. However I also found through this process, that my desktop wont acknowledge any Ethernet connections. It will not detect an Ethernet cable in the gigabit port whatsoever, i tried 3 ethernet cables.

My MoBo is 5 years old, it definitely has made it's run and I was planning to upgrade it anyway. I'm going to guess that it's probably mother board related.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

Device Manager will indicate if you have issues with your Ethernet Network adapter. But Ethernet is not your issue if you in fact are using the AE1000 network adapter.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to Anon4

said by Anon4 :

I'm going to guess that it's probably mother board related.

yea, if you can't get online with a direct connection to a known working modem then it sounds like your Southbridge has some serious problems.........would also explain the wireless card issue.