how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

Home Server Build

Need to upgrade my current server, as it's running an old AMD 4 core processor, and only 8GB memory. Since it's virtualized with Hyper-v Core it's just at it max right now. I do love Intel, just can't get over the prices. So I've priced out the following for a new build. Any suggestions and comments are welcome. As far as ordering, I work for a municipality, so everything is tax free. New server may be ESXi 5, may continue with hyper-v core.

CPU:
»www.cdw.ca/shop/products/AMD-Bla···811.aspx

Board:
»www.cdw.ca/shop/products/ASUS-M5···.aspx#TS

PSU:
»www.cdw.ca/shop/products/Coolmax···537.aspx

Memory:
»www.cdw.ca/shop/products/Kingsto···595.aspx

I've got two SSD's for the OS and then a few 2TB 7200 spindles, and most likely use the current case as it works fine. May get a new case, but that's not what I'm worried about.

Lemme know your thoughts!

Thanks

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

3 edits

Try getting those parts elsewhere, like Newegg.ca prices are FAR cheaper than CDW.

Same CPU
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···19103960

Same mobo
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···13131754

Ram was cheaper but also the same price as some G.Skill Ripjaws X so why not
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···20231486

Get a better PSU, your hardware will thank you later
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···17151093

EDIT: added parts total
Items as listed came to $459.46
So I still stand my original statement. :P

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

You can't see the prices I actually get there, so here is the prices.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

Looks like newegg is still cheaper, wow! Only thing is the memory, never used that before.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to rustydusty

Do the parts have to come from CDW? Newegg has that CPU for $80 less. Speaking of that, if you can, go for the FX-8320 or 8350. You can also get ECC memory there for cheaper than the non-ECC at CDW (although they're 4 GB sticks).

If you do have to get the stuff from CDW, here's the changes I'd do:

Motherboard: »www.cdw.ca/shop/products/ASUS-M5···351.aspx (Note: BIOS will need to be version 0505 or newer for FX CPU support)

PSU: »www.cdw.ca/shop/products/Antec-E···274.aspx
--
KI6RIT

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

Any perticular reason you would suggest that board over the one I selected? The PSU, is 500W going to be enough for all of that, plus loaded with drives?

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

2 edits
reply to rustydusty

G.Skill makes decent stuff. I've been using them since OCZ exited the ram market.

The Seasonic will be fine or you could bump it up to the 620W for $86.
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···17151096

This Corsair is slightly cheaper than the Seasonics but still decent
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···17139028

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to rustydusty

The board I listed has onboard video, so unless you are planning on putting a video card in the new one, you'll have to factor in that as well. AMD basically rebranded their north and southbridges between the 800 and 900-series, so it'll have nearly the same connectivity (it seems to be mainly lacking eSATA). Unfortunately, none of the 900-series chipsets include onboard video.

The main thing with the 900-series chipsets is that they should be FX CPU-capable out of the box, as that was apparently AMD's main intention on the rebrand. If you have an AM3/AM3+ CPU laying around to do a BIOS update with if needed, that's not an issue.

500w should be fine. The main thing is quality over quantity. I'd much rather take the 500w Antec over a 600w Coolmax.

Now that it's apparent that you're not necessarily restricted to CDW, the Seasonic PSU that was listed by Crash Gordon See Profile would be an even better choice. I have two Seasonic PSUs myself, and they're fantastic.

Here's the ECC memory I mentioned earlier. That's one of the most appealing things to me about AMD builds: you can use ECC memory without having to pay a lot more for a Xeon build. Even the super-cheap Semprons support ECC.
--
KI6RIT

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

3 edits
reply to rustydusty

Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-550-M 550W ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···17182262

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···19116504

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···20231568

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···13157293

I think it comes up a little under $580 not including shipping.

===================

This PSU is 80 PLUS GOLD Certified. In the future if you are thinking about making this a high end video gaming system. Should be enough power to support a GTX 680.

The mainboard has PCI-E 3.0(maybe some day graphics card will fully use the speed on it.) Couple of SATA III ports, couple of USB 3.0 ports, Still have room for future upgrade. As in if you want a faster cpu later on, like a i7-xxxx. Also total 32GB ram support.

CPU:
FX 8150 vs i5-3570k some up and down.
»www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=701
GPU on the other hand. some say the HD4250 is tiny bit faster. shrug.
FX 8150 use like 125 watts, 3570k use like 77watts.

RAM:
DDR3 1600 1.5v just enough to max out the i5 memory bandwidth on default.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB

1 edit
reply to rustydusty

Appreciate all the info, it's fantastic! Only thing I want to point out, is that I would really like to make this an AMD build, as everything I have is Intel and I do love Intel, I just would love to do a build with the new AMD chipsets as they seem promising. Here is what I've come up with, though.

PSU:

CPU:
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···19103960

Board:
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···13131758

Memory:

Total: $431.46

Although I'm sure I could get even the latest FX-8350, this machine doesn't require a huge amount of CPU, mostly memory for VM's. The quad-core AMD that everything runs on now does fine, I just want to expand it, add more virtual machines, etc.

EDIT: Is there a board I can get that won't need the BIOS to be touched? Rather not have to deal with that, just put it into a case and be done with it.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

Changed the CPU to the FX-8350 and the total now comes to $507.61. All of which I'm fine with, just curious on the motherboard still. Would not have to deal with put a different chip in to flash the board before doing the install. Is there a board I wouldn't have to worry about this with?

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

How about this board?

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···13131877

Here's the combo deal:

»www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealD···.1100093

Thoughts over this CPU/MOBO?

TreeTopFlyer

join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
reply to rustydusty

If you're planning on using the 2 SSD's for the operating system in RAID mode ESXi won't see the RAID. ESXi will only see hardware RAID.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

All arrays will be doing hardware based, through the board.

Anyone confirm if this board needs a firmware update to be FX capable? Don't have any spare AMD chipsets to doing the update, if it needs it.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

2 edits

said by rustydusty:

Anyone confirm if this board needs a firmware update to be FX capable? Don't have any spare AMD chipsets to doing the update, if it needs it.

Both versions 1.0 and 2.0 of the board should be compatible. I would update the BIOS to the current version anyway. But to update all you have to do is go to the ASUS web site and download the current BIOS version and unzip (this can be done with a USB flash drive from another computer also). Plug in the drive, with the BIOS open all you have to do is go to the ASUS EZ-flash utility in the BIOS and select the new BIOS file from the drive and it will update. The board has a dual BIOS so if the BIOS flash gets screwed up, you can revert back to the original BIOS version and try again. A nice fail-safe feature.

I would try to get the M5A99X EVO R2.0 It has some nice upgraded features.
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···13131874

I am currently using the first version of the board and it runs like a champ.

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to rustydusty

Either of the 990 chipset boards you linked will work with an FX CPU out of the box. Just remember that with both of those, you'll need a video card of some sort, temporary or permanent.
--
KI6RIT

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

So the bios update can be done without the need of an older chipset? I was told you need an older chip to throw in to get the bios to update, but if it can be done by a USB drive, that's easy.

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA

That's basically two separate things. On newer motherboards, BIOS updates can be done by placing the file on a USB drive and booting into a special BIOS update mode (usually a different key during POST), rather than having to create a bootable floppy or CD. Heck, my old Asus P6T Deluxe could browse for the BIOS update on whatever hard drives were connected to the motherboard, even on my RAID 5 setup on my 3ware PCIe RAID controller.

However, all of that is moot if the motherboard doesn't support the CPU you're using with the BIOS that's currently on it. If the board won't POST at all, you can't update the BIOS.

AMD's intentions with all 900-series motherboards was that they would be FX-ready out of the box. With 800-series and older, you usually have to update the BIOS first. That's where an older CPU is needed. Once the BIOS is updated to a version known to work with the newer CPUs, then you can swap them out and it'll work.
--
KI6RIT

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

Final order:

Case:
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···11129042

PSU:

Board:
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···13131874

Memory:

CPU:
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···19113284

I have a few crappy video cards I can throw in, not a big deal. Just need one to get the host installed, then it's all remote anyways. Any final comments, shoot them off! Thanks everyone for the help, I appreciate it!

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA

Very nice, that should work quite well .
--
KI6RIT

TreeTopFlyer

join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
reply to rustydusty

said by rustydusty:

If you decide to go with ESXi please post your results back and the board you go with if you are able to use the RAID from the motherboard. All the boards I've tried so far with RAID built in are considered software RAID by ESXi unless you're using a board with SAS RAID.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

You are talking some besides an actual Server, ex Poweredge?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to rustydusty

For what its worth,.....

quote:
Easy, worry-free USB BIOS Flashback
USB BIOS Flashback offers the most convenient way to flash the BIOS ever! It allows overclockers to try new UEFI BIOS versions easily, without even entering their existing BIOS or operating system. It even works without key components such as the CPU and memory installed. Just plug in any USB storage and push the dedicated button for 3 seconds. The UEFI BIOS is automatically flashed using ATX standby power. Worry-free updating for the ultimate convenience! > Learn More

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI-zGV8SLho

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADcdnwMjd_I

There are one or two (or some) ASUS 990(FX) board(s) that have this feature:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13131877

»www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM···0FX_R20/

I know my Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard has it but thats Intel X79.

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA

Now THAT is a handy feature! I'll look for that on my next upgrade.
--
KI6RIT

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

Well gents, assembled everything and went to fire it up, and I can't get any video whatsoever. I've tried numerous PCIe cards with no luck. I've tried some cheap dell's, to Zotac gtx 360's to 8800GTX with no luck. Figured a standard card would work but I can't get any video to save my life! I've tried all 3 PCIe slots on the board with no luck on any card. Any help greatly appreciated.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

Memory didn't seem to be in place. I figured it would beep if there was issues with anything, especially memory. Oh well, got the raid 10 array built, esxi being installed. Post some pics afterwards