Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to stromdriver

Premium Member

to stromdriver

Re: Navigator:Non-Stop Navigator Problems in Syracuse, NY Area

said by stromdriver:

or you could have just gave a very brief synopsis of yourself, rather than an unnecessarily cantankerous response to 'research' you
ts not always so easy to glean someones relation to a matter from a large history of forum posts...

I am a TW Cable employee that has assisted many in the NE area over the years. The original poster knows exactly who I am. My apologies if I sounded cantankerous, not my intention.

Hob
stromdriver
join:2012-11-17
Prescott Valley, AZ

stromdriver

ah, thank you hob its all good
i hope you can be of assistance to us in some fashion, our experiences so far indicate that very few in twc want to admit there is a problem with navigator and the dvr service, let alone fix it

satch, yeah i know ben does more than that, i just listed that as the primary reasoning he has as much experience as he has with the problem,
btw i'm hikouka on the avsforum threads, long time poster and kvetch-er

ben and i are in similar boats as far as expectations and reasoning for sticking with twc rather than immediately switching to a sat provider (although i dont have any luck with retentions, i just get an occasional 'bone' thrown my way of some pittance of a credit to my account)

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"i hope you can be of assistance to us in some fashion, our experiences so far indicate that very few in twc want to admit there is a problem with navigator and the dvr service, let alone fix it"

I can certainly try.

Hob
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch

said by hobgoblin:

"i hope you can be of assistance to us in some fashion, our experiences so far indicate that very few in twc want to admit there is a problem with navigator and the dvr service, let alone fix it"

I can certainly try.

Hob

Thanks Hobs!

Satch
stromdriver
Prescott Valley, AZ

stromdriver

in case you didn't see my many rants on avs, here's a basic run down of what happens with me, and this has occurred across multiple boxes

i do have some of the stuttering and a/v dropouts that ben has but not near as much/often as he has experienced

my box just randomly records whatever it feels like, shows i've never even watched let alone set recordings for. i'll come back from being gone for 3-5 days and there will be literally dozens of shows recorded i didn't tell it to (mostly on discovery and comedy central but on other channels occasionally)
some shows (like colbert report) if there aren't new episodes it records every episode airing even though recording is set to new ep only on original time
boxes will randomly not record things, no conflicts or anything, just doesn't record it
they have a bad habit of locking up, especially when attempting to delete a show after watching it, requiring a hard boot, which more often than not will cause many of the shows in the recorded list to outright disappear (have lost many many shows the wife or i wanted to watch because of this)
its also locked up when it wasn't active(off) but recording, will come home to see record light on, but box is locked up

it all started when navigator was rolled out, and has gotten progressively worse, started with an 8300hdc, and then thru two 8642's

all the reps ever want to do is roll a truck or swap the box, but swapping the box obviously doesn't fix the problem(not to mention it is extremely cumbersome to swap boxes with the great number of series the wife and i have setup for recordings is a royal pain in the ass to have to reprogram each series, especially when it isn't in an active showing because you can't setup series recordings if there aren't 'new' eps airing in the guide)
the truck guys can't do anything to fix it, everything else is fine on my end
try to move up the chain in support but there isn't any 'advanced' support for cable services so no help, i have so many trouble tickets and requests for tech support supervisors i'm not sure which ones i have noted are the most recent/active...

yikes, sorry for that huge post, fingers just started flying and well, you know

tl;dr version
navigator sucks bad for me, and i can't get tw to care about it because they wont acknowledge there's flaws in the software and i'm paying lots of money for almost nothing....

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"my box just randomly records whatever it feels like, shows i've never even watched let alone set recordings for. i'll come back from being gone for 3-5 days and there will be literally dozens of shows recorded i didn't tell it to (mostly on discovery and comedy central but on other channels occasionally)"

I know about this. In almost all cases Its caused by changes in the guide detail. So lets say on Monday the guide updates and the DVR sees Pawn stars on Saturday at 9 pm and sets a flag to record it. On Tuesday the program detail changes and Pawn stars has been replaced by Duck Wars. The DVR will still record the show at 9 pm thus you get the wrong show. I see it happen on Discovery and Comedy as you say and also MTV.

I believe the thing with the Colbert Report may be the same, originally the guide detail was wrong and it was flagged "New" then it changed but the DVR will still record it.

While I have heard of reports of boxes not recording I have never been able to duplicate it on the multitude of boxes I have tested it on. Same for locking up.

There was a patch applied to the ODN boxes the other day to clear up some known issues. The random recordings was not one.

Hob
stromdriver
Prescott Valley, AZ

stromdriver

said by hobgoblin:

I know about this. In almost all cases Its caused by changes in the guide detail. So lets say on Monday the guide updates and the DVR sees Pawn stars on Saturday at 9 pm and sets a flag to record it. On Tuesday the program detail changes and Pawn stars has been replaced by Duck Wars. The DVR will still record the show at 9 pm thus you get the wrong show. I see it happen on Discovery and Comedy as you say and also MTV.

yeah i've heard guide data thing as well
but the problem is, its recording times that i've never set to record, like randomly all over the guide not just the 'wrong' show on the 'right' shows slot
all our series are 'new ep only' and 'original time' so even if show flag changes it shouldn't be recording all over the place on different days, times, shows?

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue

said by stromdriver:

said by hobgoblin:

yeah i've heard guide data thing as well
but the problem is, its recording times that i've never set to record, like randomly all over the guide not just the 'wrong' show on the 'right' shows slot
all our series are 'new ep only' and 'original time' so even if show flag changes it shouldn't be recording all over the place on different days, times, shows?

I certainly can confirm that the errors with shows like the "Colbert Report" must be with the guide. I have used 3 different box types (several SA8300s, a couple of Samsung 3090s & a several Cisco 8640s) and every one of them had problems with the recording of shows that are rebroadcast several times during the day. I always had trouble getting any of these boxes to understand that I wanted only the NEW program if it was scheduled for any other time period than the first available showing, not to mention that the guide occasionally got "confused" and wouldn't record a series at all, if it wasn't the first available instance (11:30PM EST for Colbert).

I could never quite understand what happened with the guide when e.g. the "Colbert Report" was on vacation. Very often It recorded older shows, and then would stop recording ALL future new ones after the vacation period was over. This mostly happened when the recording wasn't set for that first available showing time period, but that was not an absolute.
However, overall this HAS improved substantially here recently.

Further, I also get a random recording in error, and many times it occurs in the early hours of the AM like 3 or 4, when nothing I have interest in would ever be shown in those time slots.