spc
Search similar:

uniqs
AricBrown
join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX

AricBrown

Add a Ground line

My question is can I tie into an existing ground line?

My house was built in 1962. It has 12 gauge 2 wire NM cable. When my brother updated the kitchen he ran a single thhn 12 gauge wire from the GFCI to the panel.
I dropped a new line in the attic for my projector screen. It is 12/2 romex to a junction box in the attic. From the junction box to another junction box is ran with 12/2 flex. The 2nd junction box is the old 12 gauge 2 wire. So this is where the ground ends. Close to the 1st junction box is that free standing ground wire. It has enough slack in it so I could cut it and pigtail it into the ground for the new wire.

Is this possible? Is it acceptable?.

My old panel cannot accept any new breakers so I cannot run a line to there.

Thanks

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by AricBrown:

Is this possible? Is it acceptable?

Yes. No.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to AricBrown

MVM

to AricBrown

In a roundabout way, you semi-solved your problem right there. It's probably time for a new panel.
AricBrown
join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX

AricBrown

said by nunya:

In a roundabout way, you semi-solved your problem right there. It's probably time for a new panel.

Nunya, You are correct I need a new panel. This is an old Stab-Lock one. I am going to get a new one next year. I am trying to find a place for it. Since code has changed so I can't have it in its current location. I will also have to upgrade service to 200 amp if I change the panel. I am looking at moving it to the otherside of the back door so I dont have to put in an outside panel.
I know that is outside of my knowledge. I am trying to clean up the attic so when I do I can put these few outlets on a new circuit.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by AricBrown:

I will also have to upgrade service to 200 amp if I change the panel.

Why, are you adding more appliances, tripping the main breaker, or something else?

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by garys_2k:

Why, are you adding more appliances, tripping the main breaker, or something else?

Probably that by an updated code, his calculated load now forces any panel swap to come with a service line upgrade to 200A.