Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mattrixx

join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

1 edit

Never before seen shut down message

A friend of mine has a strange never before seen issue with his "new" build, which happens to be an older generation AM3 Processor and "new" MSI Motherboard.

He can run either Linux installed (including any "Live CD" Distro) or Windows XP without issue, but a problem when he shuts down his rig.
In Windows (and something similar in Linux) he gets a never before seen (to either of us) additional message after normal shut down in each O.S.has been initiated and almost completed that states it is "Now OK to turn off the computer!" The actual shutdown then has to be accomplished by holding in the Power Switch button on the front of his case!

The message itself comes at the very end of each shut down process where it should just turn off. The message in (WinXP) looks to be in low resolution like Safe Mode or such.
We checked his BIOS for anything pertaining finding nothing, and even cleared the CMOS and started up with all default settings and still get the same results when shutting down.

Anybody here ever seen this message before or have any idea what might be the problem in
a normal shutdown of his rig!

Thanks

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

I ran into this with XP on a few machines that had been running fine. After one of the updates, XP no longer recognized the power management capabilities of the mobo. On some of them, disabling advanced power management, rebooting, then renabling and rebooting did the trick. Sometimes deleting all of the drivers for USB peripherals, disconnecting them, rescanning for hardware changes, rebooting, then reconnecting them and letting Windows reinstall the drivers fixed it. A few just had to be rebuilt.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
reply to mattrixx

OP has never used Windows on a pre-ATX PC and now I feel old.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:1

said by Da Man:

You and me both.

This sounds like a power management problem. The board sends a "Ok, you can turn off now" signal to the Power supply, and if it doesn't respond, you get this message.
Since it is happening in both Linux and Windows, I'll assume it isn't driver related. Double check the bios power management options, and maybe even try a "Restore defaults" to reset anything. Bios update check wouldn't hurt. If that doesn't cure it, and you have another power supply, you might tray swapping it out just long enough to see if that is the problem.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

I have a vague recollection that some mobos have a setting along the lines of "ACPI-aware OS" that was supposed to be counter-intuitively set to "off" even though Windows has been ACPI aware since NT 3.51.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

mattrixx

Orland Park, IL
reply to Da Man

said by Da Man:

I`m so old, I simply forgot all about AT motherboards

What I meant was, we have never seen this additional shutdown message.... in the modern era!

Yes, there is a similar problem (can't remember a message) in Linux where we also have to complete the shut off process by pressing and holding in the Power Switch on the front of the case.

BTW We did swap out Power Supplies and put the BIOS at default Fail Safe settings, which made NO difference.

Thanks for any more response to this post

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

What is the model number on the board? I'll see if I can spot anything in the manual.

mattrixx

Orland Park, IL

said by Camelot One:

What is the model number on the board? I'll see if I can spot anything in the manual.

Here you go: MSI 785GTM-E45 motherboard. Model number MS-7549.

Also, he has an *AM2* CPU not an AM3 processor as I had mistakenly posted...if that should matter.

Thanks for your offer and interest in helping

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

Under Power Management - try setting ACPI Function to Disable, save, reboot, then Enable it, save and reboot.
Standby state should be S3,
Power Button Function "Off"

You might also look at the Wake Up Event type, try changing it from Bios to OS or vice versa.