Davesworld

join:2007-10-30
Everett, WA
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·Callcentric

1 edit

[DSL] Incoming port 25

Hello! I have DSLX on one of my Frontier dry loops and noticed that I see no way to unblock port 25 on my web portal at DSLX's website. I am in a situation where I need port 25 unblocked on incoming, I never use it for outgoing with any email programs so I do not care about outgoing. I am the opposite as most people since I am running a small email server on my router/firewall's DMZ. It will only be used by me. I have my Domain name and MX records set and I can send email via this server but cannot receive due to the fact that incoming email to a server expects port 25. It is a pain in the rear to use alternate ports in this application.

Davesworld

Everett, WA
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·Callcentric

I found a workaround meanwhile by setting up duplicate port 25 rules only with an alternate port in Postfix and adding that same port to iptables. I then use a mail gateway service to redirect to that port.

My domain is registered with Dyn »dyn.com and my firewall/router has the option of connecting to dynamic dns services of which Dyn is one provider. So now I am paying for the domain (cheapest part of all this), dynamic dns, and the mail gateway.

Now the question is whether having a static IP and no port blockage is a better value than the extra 70 bucks a year on top of my domain I spend on the dynamic dns and the mail redirector?

I see this as nothing more than a stopgap. Ultimately I hope to end up with bonded dsl and a static IP. Unlikely to get fiber anytime soon.

det427
Premium
join:2004-01-31
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to Davesworld

Port 25 can be unblocked here:
»www.dslextreme.com/members/servi···all.aspx

dslx_steve
Premium,VIP
join:2011-03-24
Winnetka, CA
kudos:6

1 edit

Det427: Good suggestion but unfortunately, port 25 cannot be unblocked in Davesworld's area.

Davesworld

Everett, WA
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·Callcentric

said by dslx_steve:

Det427: Good suggestion but unfortunately, port 25 cannot be unblocked in that area.

I figured it was not DSLX's doing. It's ok for now anyway.