Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Greenlight Netwo..
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

[FireFox] Ongoing mysterious issue

This has been happening for quite a while now using different builds of Firefox and I suspect, but I am not certain, that this is caused by an ongoing issue with Flash ?

When I try to open certain websites, the site appears for a brief second and then the browser closes and I see my desktop for several seconds and then pops back open to the website with no further issues. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why this is happening. Any thoughts ? As I said, this has been happening for quite some time and it does not seem to be related to what version of Firefox I am running. I am currently running the latest beta build of FF17.

With no comments please as to content, this is one site that caused this issue to happen this morning...

»dailycaller.com/2012/11/ ··· n-party/

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

For what its worth, I'm running the latest version of Waterfox. Since the core of Waterfox is the same as Firefox, I figured I would give your site a try.

I clicked on your link, and the page came right up. My browser window did not close and reload like it does for you.

From what I can tell, the page loads fine.

I'm thinking your issue may be with an Extension, Appearance, or Plugin that you may have installed.

In my setup, I have no Extensions, using the default theme, and the following plugins.
• Java (TM) Platform SE 7 U9 10.9.2.5
• Shockwave Flash 11.5.502.110
• Silverlight Plug-In 5.1.10411.0

--Brian

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY
·Greenlight Netwo..
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

Thanks. On repeated visits to that site, it loads fine for me. I deleted cookies and cache also before trying. I run very few extensions here. This does not happen a lot to me, just occasionally. But really, that occasionally for me means on average once a day since I am on the net a lot. I have Waterfox also. Maybe I should play with that a bit more for a few days and see if I run into the same issues.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob
What security programs do you have installed?

If a software or Win firewall make sure you allow Fx, java, flash, etc... access to the web.

If an AV is installed is it scanning web pages in real time along with javascript, flash, etc...?

That page you linked works fine on my Fx v16.0.3 & 17.0b6
with flash, java, noscript, and adblock plus.

I also have Avast AV scanning all web traffic with no slowdown and comodo firewall.

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

I have been trying AVG 2013 free version lately. I wonder if that could be the issue ? Oh, I also run Malwarebytes Pro in real time. Seems that maybe I need to start experimenting a bit here.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

Security programs are always worthwhile checking out when browsers start acting wonky. Especially if the browser worked fine before for example av or firewall updates.