spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tr6scott
join:2002-03-23
Oxford, MI

1 edit

tr6scott

Uverse Installer did not remove DSL whole house filter.

Edited title, I'm a Uverse Newb, after 10+ years of att dsl. Not that the installer was a Newb, title was confusing after I read it.

Uverse installed on Thursday, we converted from DSL that I have had for years. I was looking at the install yesterday, and noticed that the installer left in the DSL whole house filter to the voice lines.

Is that standard practice? I would have thought that the installer would eliminate devices not needed and have potential to fail, and impact service. With DSL I have had to replace the whole house filter 3 times in about 8 years.

Does uverse need the filter? I would have thought that the iNid separated the voice from the data signals internally. Although I have not seen the wiring diagram for the system between the iNid and the voice, and the internal router.
Ernest House
Premium Member
join:2008-08-17
Boca Raton, FL

Ernest House

Premium Member

Wow. I haven't visited this forum in years but after just ordering uVerse 12MBS Internet, I was wondering about the whole house filter and BAM. THere's a question about it! Love this place.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

If you have Line Share U-Verse (ADSL2+ or VDSL2 flavors), a whole-house filter with a data home run is still a good idea

To the OP: Do you have the iNID system? And if so, how is the whole house filter wired? There really is no room inside the iNID for a NID module whole house filter...

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

Lagz to tr6scott

Premium Member

to tr6scott
AT&T still recommends filters for U-verse.

»Re: U-Verse Constant Drops @ Night

»www.att.com/esupport/art ··· jTVMmEaX
U-verse customers who also have traditional phone service need to use line filters.

tr6scott
Oxford, MI

tr6scott to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
Hey ILpt4U,

I am not up on the technology flavors, still learning uverse. I do have the iNid system. I have tried to get service for over 3 years, with 3 install attempts, just too far away, but this time they rolled out pair bonding and it is working fine.

I have installed a "Wilcom" (going from memory here) whole house filter in basement, Line used to come in from the NID, and they just taped into that line with wires going to iNid. I was thinking in my mind that iNid would split the phone on a pair, and they would use ethernet to feed from the iNid to the internal router. It does not appear that it is ethernet, as there they are using a what looks to be a phone connector between the iNid and the internal router.

I was just surprised to see that the whole house filter still wired intact.

Obviously what expected how it would work, is not how it actually works. So if you can point me to any technical literature on the iNid and internal router, that would be helpful too.

Scott.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to tr6scott

Premium Member

to tr6scott
Are you sure its the same one? If it's mounted in the NID it could be the newer filter for UVerse. If you plug a phone into the modem side you should not have any dialtone. These filters work for ADSL and VDSL.

Honestly if everything looks good and you receive reliable service I would leave it alone, deal with it when it causes a problem.

tr6scott
Oxford, MI

tr6scott to Lagz

to Lagz
I have the iNid system and we switched to the IP base phone with uverse. Those links seem to read if you maintain a traditional land line service along with uverse the filter is needed.

Not sure if it applies to when you have switched to IP based phone.

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

Lagz

Premium Member

said by tr6scott:

I have the iNid system and we switched to the IP base phone with uverse. Those links seem to read if you maintain a traditional land line service along with uverse the filter is needed.

Not sure if it applies to when you have switched to IP based phone.

I think it is only with pots.