share rss forum feed

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to postfixalgo

Re: [Tampa] Tampa: Bridging new DPX2203C?

I'm saying it will rarely I mean rarely change. This isn't like DSL where your IP address can change almost by the hour depending on your provider. Exactly what do you think you need a static IP for...most residential folks do not.

postfixalgo

join:2011-08-12
My cams are servers. If the modem's IP changes I can no longer "see" them from the internet.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
Then a static IP would help but you still cannot bridge a modem that has no router capabilities built in. Bridging is the process of disabling the router so that a combo unit can be used as a stand alone modem. The modem your talking about is a stand alone modem by design.

postfixalgo

TTT, thanks for understanding. I think I get it now. There's nothing to bridge, or disable, in the, shall we say, primitive 2203 cable box. Whatever one hooks up to the Ethernet connector of a 2203 gets an IP address assigned by BHN.
So, if getting a never changing IP address, I can indeed simply plug my existing "$29" router into the 2203 box, disable my router's dynamic DNS tracking feature, and access my LAN nodes from the internet as usual after changing access software's hostname into the static IP address.

I guess I'm doing much the same as 'vpnavp' describes for a Foscam camera in another thread today and which BHNtechXpert calls EASY stuff. 'vpnavp' got a BHN uBee modem but it would be great if BHNtechXpert had similar easy stuff to share for a 2203 modem setup. I don't suppose BHN will give me uBee modem.

Cheers,

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
It just depends what your subscribing to. If your getting RR lightning with phone, odds are high that is what you will get (and will need to bridge). If your getting turbo or standard (20/2-10/1) without wireless then you may get what you listed or an arris (or possibly a ubee with the wifi disabled). Its hard to say but if whatever you get has a router built in, it will need bridged (if you want to use your own router). If what you get DOES NOT have a wireless router in it, then it wont need bridged.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to postfixalgo
said by postfixalgo:

TTT, thanks for understanding. I think I get it now. There's nothing to bridge, or disable, in the, shall we say, primitive 2203 cable box. Whatever one hooks up to the Ethernet connector of a 2203 gets an IP address assigned by BHN.
So, if getting a never changing IP address, I can indeed simply plug my existing "$29" router into the 2203 box, disable my router's dynamic DNS tracking feature, and access my LAN nodes from the internet as usual after changing access software's hostname into the static IP address.

I guess I'm doing much the same as 'vpnavp' describes for a Foscam camera in another thread today and which BHNtechXpert calls EASY stuff. 'vpnavp' got a BHN uBee modem but it would be great if BHNtechXpert had similar easy stuff to share for a 2203 modem setup. I don't suppose BHN will give me uBee modem.

Cheers,

What $29.00 router are you talking about and when were ya gonna talk about the cameras?

If you're talking about the Westel...no...that is a DSL/Router/Modem combination and it will not work with our service...please explain.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

postfixalgo

Ok, my current $29 router is a D-Link's DIR-601 (now $18.38 at amazon.com) and the cams are D-Link DCS-930L.
Forget about the Westell. I'll hand it back to Verizon when I cancel the service.