join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

I Love Welding + sunburn

I saved myself a bit of money.
I love MIG welding, but I am not great at it.

Overview

The flexible bit in my front exhaust pipe was cracked and leaking, and rather than spend a zillion dollars on a new one, I ordered a bellows from Rock Auto and welded it in.
From "universal parts and tools"
»www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf···=2578488
Cost for the part was less than $10.00. The gaskets and hardware cost more.

Carnage

Newness

I haven't welded anything in 8 years, and if that isn't enough, I have no training either. I expect this will do the job though.

I cheaped out and used a pair of goggles with dark glass for eye protection. I don't recommend this, as the rest of my face got sunburned from the arc. I will buy a solar type auto darkening faceshield for my next fix.

Anyone else have welding stories or tips?
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

That will hold up fine enough for an exhaust system. In my opinion if you don't do much welding, the auto darkening shields are a waste of money. Use that money to get a better quality standard helmet instead.

I just recently started welding via training at work. I've done stick, mig, and tig. Mig is by far the easiest for me, and is what I want to get proficient at for doing various stuff in my home shop. I don't do much welding on the job, the most I would be expected to do is mock up a temporary bracket or something like that. And in many cases I can braze something up, which I am very proficient at doing. But it is a nice qualification to have in my line of work. I forgot to take a picture of my ugly tig welding, but here's a couple of my ugly beginner welds.

Mig

Stick (7018)

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

said by Lurch77:

I just recently started welding via training at work.

I was thinking about signing up for a class at a community college. That would be fun...

Edit:
Those welds don't look too bad either!

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Cho Baka

I remember in school seeing welding students with raccoon eyes from wearing goggles when welding. My bad habit was gas welding and brazing without any goggles.

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Cho Baka

I know as a profession its one that skilled workers can make good money in.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ
reply to Cho Baka

weld burn sucks!!! I always wear a full face helmet and a tillman jacket/gloves at work.

I have had weld burn from wearing a t-shirt in the summer a few times. not NEARLY as bad as flash burning your eyes though. I did that once or twice when I first started stick welding---I kept striking an arc before flipping my helmet down trying to line the electrode up. now it's auto-darkening helmets only for me LOL.

nothing like waking up at 3am with sunburn on your eyeballs..........

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to Cho Baka

Arc rays are many times worse than being in the sun, there is no OZone blocking some of the rays.

You would not want to go lay in the sun in Antarctica where there is a hole in the OZone would you? So why would you expose your skin to arc rays?

This is fine for occasional use:

»www.harborfreight.com/adjustable···092.html

Hella cheaper than getting treatment for skin cancer.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

chucky5150
Divers do it Deeper

join:2001-11-03
New Iberia, LA

I have that same welding face shield from harbor freight. It's the same face shield that Home Depot has only that one has lincoln welders sticker on it. Home Depot also wanted twice as much for it.
--
Member of the US Air Force since May 7th, 2002 To March 29th, 2005

"You sneak up behind yourself and remove your pants before you realize what's going on." KOL