spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

@charter.com
reply to CoolPirate

Re: [HSI] Charter Monthly Bandwidth Limits

Hi, how does charter inform users of over usage? I have the 30mbps package, and I think I will exceed the 250gb limit this month, but I an unsure if I am in trouble. I dont have a charter username or email from them, so how would they tell me I going over their limit? I rather know and stop myself from losing my service honestly then not knowing any warnings.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
I think they'll send you a letter if you make the $hit list.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to guest
said by guest :

Hi, how does charter inform users of over usage? I have the 30mbps package, and I think I will exceed the 250gb limit this month, but I an unsure if I am in trouble. I dont have a charter username or email from them, so how would they tell me I going over their limit? I rather know and stop myself from losing my service honestly then not knowing any warnings.

As I'm sure has already been stated some where here in this topic, you have to go over 3 consecutive months and then will only receive a warning in the mail. Charter HAS NOT been enforcing them as of yet though.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

iwinrar

join:2010-03-18
reply to CoolPirate
You have to go over a good ammount and they will prob call you like they did me one month when i was getting all my online backups back. I never even got a call when I used a TB in a month. That came mostly from redownloading all my steam games.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to anhisr
said by anhisr:

what legal grounds could you use to sue. "They have to let me use it all the time" I do not see a judge going for it.

If I had the money, I would sue any ISP with caps who also offers video services under the Sherman Anti-trust Act.
I would argue that:
#1) the "bandwidth crunch" isn't real. It isn't, BTW.
Once that's been established,
#2) the real reason bandwidth caps are in place is to keep subscribers from using alternative video services such as Netflix, Vudu, Amazon, Google TV, Apple TV, Roku, etc...

We all know that this is what BW caps are really all about.

The Sherman act isn't just about monopolies, it's about using your prevalent place in the market to stifle competition. That's exactly what the cable companies, AT&T, and Verizon are doing. They want to keep that captive customer base tuning in to their video services. Think of it as video "cock-blocking".
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
I'm sure any decent lawyer would do it for free provided they thought they could win and provided they get their cut if you were to win.

So, give it a shot. Call up a lawyer and see what your chances are. Make sure to record that call so we can hear how loud that lawyer laughs at you!!
--
The Firefox alternative.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
I don't think it will be as funny as your think. I'm pretty sure this is the route Netflix and Google will take when they finally sue.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to CoolPirate
As many large transfers as I do in and outbound it shocked me to find out I was under the 150 gb threshold. Since being forced to 30 I pretty much use it as I see fit and haven't even heard a peep out of Charter. I don't meter or monitor it either - seems if you're going to charge for metering you're going to have to provide the meter and as far as I know they do not have one and none are in the works.

As far as them coming to my house - plenty of times. The reason for that is they will never admit when it is a mainline issue. Each time the issue was the main line it took no less than four home visits before they would even consider calling a line tech even though each and every tech who came out found nothing at all wrong to the tap. Not once. So instead of rolling a line tech the issue goes on for weeks, one visit after another and usually after the fourth or fifth visit they find the issue outside, fix it and we're good. If they would only listen to their customers or even the techs they send out it would save them so much in labor costs.

Anon3528672

@charter.com
reply to guest
They will be forced to raise their bandwidth caps and soon. I've been beta testing several cheap devices that have yet to come out in stores, they all have vudu, netflix, but most importantly all of them but one have free cloud DVR functions built in which requires a constant upload of data when watching local channels, this is required for features such as pause/rewind/etc and there is no way to turn this feature off.

I guess their strategy is if a greater number of people are using more bandwidth, providers will be forced to increase them. I think the idea of bandwidth caps are for the birds personally, there is no magical bandwidth mine where bandwidth is a scarcity, as someone said, there is no bandwidth crunch. They're fighting a losing war and once these devices are out in stores, that 250gb cap? out the window, the one I was testing was capable of 3 times that and I had to turn it off before I too passed my cap. It will be interesting to watch all hell break loose once it's in stores and one of them already is

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
said by Anon3528672 :

They will be forced to raise their bandwidth caps and soon. I've been beta testing several cheap devices that have yet to come out in stores, they all have vudu, netflix, but most importantly all of them but one have free cloud DVR functions built in which requires a constant upload of data when watching local channels, this is required for features such as pause/rewind/etc and there is no way to turn this feature off.

I guess their strategy is if a greater number of people are using more bandwidth, providers will be forced to increase them. I think the idea of bandwidth caps are for the birds personally, there is no magical bandwidth mine where bandwidth is a scarcity, as someone said, there is no bandwidth crunch. They're fighting a losing war and once these devices are out in stores, that 250gb cap? out the window, the one I was testing was capable of 3 times that and I had to turn it off before I too passed my cap. It will be interesting to watch all hell break loose once it's in stores and one of them already is

don;t hold your breath waiting for the caps to increase - the more likely senario is for the end user to be more attentive of what they are doing

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

I don't think it will be as funny as your think. I'm pretty sure this is the route Netflix and Google will take when they finally sue.

If they thought it was a viable option what are they waiting for?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to CoolPirate
said by CoolPirate :

Okay, 30MB connection allows for 250GBs per month. Charter bitches if you go over your limit and threatens cancellation of service. If i used the full 30-megs of allotted download speed (without regard to upload use) continuously, then I reach my "limit" of use in 2 hours and 22 minutes. Why hasn't Charter been sued for this practice where they advertise the HIGH speeds of their service, but then threaten you when you use the service even remotely to its potential?

I bought a box of cereal the other day. To my horror, upon opening the box, it was only three-quarters full! Damn them! I want the full potential of the box packed in! Scumbags!!!

With the fast speed they advertise, offer, and sell, you can literally use the allowable amount of service for the month in a little over two hours! Yet, they are willing and happy to take your money for the service, so long as you don't use much of it. Any comments, people?

They are selling speed, not quantity. Just as cereal is sold by weight, not volume.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

cork1958
Cork
Premium
said by nunya:

I'd have to think if Netflix was going to do anything, they'd have gotten the ball rolling already? If Google were to jump on that ship, money definitely would not be an issue. So, what do you think they're waiting for? Christmas, maybe!!

said by NormanS:

said by CoolPirate :

Okay, 30MB connection allows for 250GBs per month. Charter bitches if you go over your limit and threatens cancellation of service. If i used the full 30-megs of allotted download speed (without regard to upload use) continuously, then I reach my "limit" of use in 2 hours and 22 minutes. Why hasn't Charter been sued for this practice where they advertise the HIGH speeds of their service, but then threaten you when you use the service even remotely to its potential?

I bought a box of cereal the other day. To my horror, upon opening the box, it was only three-quarters full! Damn them! I want the full potential of the box packed in! Scumbags!!!

With the fast speed they advertise, offer, and sell, you can literally use the allowable amount of service for the month in a little over two hours! Yet, they are willing and happy to take your money for the service, so long as you don't use much of it. Any comments, people?

They are selling speed, not quantity. Just as cereal is sold by weight, not volume.

Right on, Norman!!
--
The Firefox alternative.

PFH
Bully For You

join:2003-06-26
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Anon3528672
They will be forced to raise their bandwidth caps and soon. I've been beta testing several cheap devices ....

Nonsense. Charter has no incentive whatsoever to raise or eliminate caps in light of newer bandwidth-consumptive gadgetry. They have zero competition forcing them to do so. FTTH? Puny installed base. DSL? Please, don't make me laugh. Any Charter customer serious about streamed video knows they have nowhere else to go.

You say you need a higher cap? Then, customer, let me introduce you to our nifty business-class pricing tier. End of story.

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
said by PFH:

They will be forced to raise their bandwidth caps and soon. I've been beta testing several cheap devices ....

Nonsense. Charter has no incentive whatsoever to raise or eliminate caps in light of newer bandwidth-consumptive gadgetry. They have zero competition forcing them to do so. FTTH? Puny installed base. DSL? Please, don't make me laugh. Any Charter customer serious about streamed video knows they have nowhere else to go.

You say you need a higher cap? Then, customer, let me introduce you to our nifty business-class pricing tier. End of story.

No competition? In this area there are two other providers that can be chosen for broadband access at the residential level, three if you want to add hughes net

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
Well some of us are limited to one alternative, AT&T DSL... no thanks.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by msmisfit:

Well some of us are limited to one alternative, AT&T DSL...

Which is also capped; and their traditional ADSL service has a 150 GB cap. So not exactly useful competition.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

pinky321

join:2002-06-05
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

The Sherman act isn't just about monopolies, it's about using your prevalent place in the market to stifle competition. That's exactly what the cable companies, AT&T, and Verizon are doing. They want to keep that captive customer base tuning in to their video services. Think of it as video "cock-blocking".

Not Verizon as Verizon FiOS has no cap and video service.

Da Nuther 1

@charter.com
reply to grayem
You pay $50.......a MONTH?
Oh, You must be a long time valued customer; which is why they charge you $20 more (not including tax) a month than me.

Isn't it swell that while many businesses competing for your CONTINUED patronage offer rewards, bonuses and specials; ISP, cable. satellite, and cell phone companies, (just to mention a few) reward their customers with mandatory price increases, smooshing virtual bun kissing and a accidental over billing. (Those dumb computers can never seem to add numbers correctly)

I was packing up a couple of "Dish" receivers yesterday(into the return boxes Dish sent me) and each box contained a flyer(small poster) exclaiming, " What do we have to do to get you back?"
....hmmmmm?
Cancelling them was more of a hassle than..........

Who's fault is it?
All them darn persistent consumers that made it very well known that, This is what we want...and.... This is how much$ we want it!

Supply and demand equals mo$