Expand your moderator at work

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to Corehhi

Re: [WIN8] With Sinofsky Gone, Start Menu Could Return to Window

I wouldn't say Windows 8 presents a huge number of required tricks to be remembered but I get your point. I don't know how old you are, but if you are old enough to remember WordPerfect 4.x and 5.0, your point is well made. Those were programs which worked in an effective 2000 pixel palette, with each pixel being a possible different shape. They were limited. Whether you used Wordstar, WordPerfect or even Quicken in a DOS environment, you were required to know dozens of keyboard shortcuts. There were no other options. I'll never forget sitting down in front of Wordperfect the first time. I could make no more use of it then I could a Boing 747 now. I had to learn a lot to perform the most basic functions.

When you install Windows 8, the first thing Microsoft wants to tell you during the install is how the the within the corners of your screen are hidden functions. I think that alone speaks volumes. It's no big deal though, because it is all completely ignorable.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Kramer

said by Kramer:

Right clicking an object to obtain and modify its properties goes back to Windows 3 at least. Once you have remembered that little "trick" you have learned how to perform thousands of different tasks on different objects. It is a "trick" with a big pay-off, which tends to help people to remember them. Even then, I doubt more then 50% of daily computer users even know what a right click does, Start Button or not. Good gracious I don't want to start an Apple v. PC war, but it is something that Apple had to be dragged kicking and screaming to embrace.

Those people doesn't even know how to uninstall software as I have to do it for them almost daily. They also ask me to put icons on their desktop. Some even come by with formatted Windows XP/Vista/7 machines with no drivers installed asking me why they can't get on the Internet or why their computer feels slow (no video drivers). It's all $$ to me though! *grin*

I know what you mean but an average computer user wouldn't be going to Control Panel every single day. They just want to get on Internet. And they will do it no problem with Windows 8.

sholling
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA
kudos:1
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

False. Something new is not a trick. Something different is not a trick.

Obviously you have little experience supporting users. If you have to learn a new non-obvious way of doing something it's a trick.

said by darcilicious:

and anything that cannot be seamlessly accessed via a mouse useless to most users.

Opinion.

Fact based on decades of supporting users.
--
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
--FREDERIC BASTIAT--
Expand your moderator at work

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
Reviews:
·Hargray Cable
reply to Kramer

Re: [WIN8] With Sinofsky Gone, Start Menu Could Return to Window

said by Kramer:

I don't know how old you are, but if you are old enough to remember WordPerfect 4.x and 5.0, your point is well made.

Oh ya I remember WordPerfect.