Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cinergi

join:2012-11-18
Canada

[Internet] Using my own router with Bell Fibe

Hello,

I'm having Bell Fibe phone, Internet and TV services installed at my house in the Montreal area tomorrow. My area is FTTN (not FTTH). I'd like to continue using my existing router for Internet access instead of the one that will be provided by Bell, because my router runs DD-WRT firmware and has some advanced features I'd like to keep.

My questions are the following:

- Is it still possible to set up a PPPoE session on my own router? I've read conflicting posts about this on DSLReports, with some saying it is no longer possible to have dual PPPoE sessions after November 19th (I believe).

- If dual PPPoE sessions are no longer supported, can I disable the PPPoE on the Bell router and set it up on my own router without any problems? What is the procedure to do this? Would my Fibe TV PVR apps stop working, for example (I can live with this but would prefer to have full functionality)?

- If dual PPPoE sessions are still supported, is there any configuration required on the Bell router, or can I simply plug my own router's WAN port into one of the Bell router's LAN ports and set up my router with the Bell PPPoE login information? Again, there seem be be conflicting opinions about this, with some members stating that the Bell modem/router must be hard-reset and others simply connecting their router without any resets.

Thanks and Best Regards,
cinergi

Max_War

join:2002-11-30
Scarborough, ON

1) Not sure about Bell blocking dual PPPoE logins, however it can be done. Both my Asus router and Bell modem are doing PPPoE logins without any issues. I disabled wireless and DHCP on the Bell modem.

2) I've read if you are using Fibe TV, you'll need to let the Bell modem do PPPoE login. Otherwise some features may not work. Another option would be to turn off PPPoE login on your router. Since it is running DD-WRT, you should be able to change from PPPoE to either static/direct IP mode, and from router to gateway.

3) Just plug your router wan port to Bell modem's lan port.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to cinergi

said by cinergi:

Hello,

I'm having Bell Fibe phone, Internet and TV services installed at my house in the Montreal area tomorrow. My area is FTTN (not FTTH). I'd like to continue using my existing router for Internet access instead of the one that will be provided by Bell, because my router runs DD-WRT firmware and has some advanced features I'd like to keep.

My questions are the following:

- Is it still possible to set up a PPPoE session on my own router? I've read conflicting posts about this on DSLReports, with some saying it is no longer possible to have dual PPPoE sessions after November 19th (I believe).

- If dual PPPoE sessions are no longer supported, can I disable the PPPoE on the Bell router and set it up on my own router without any problems? What is the procedure to do this? Would my Fibe TV PVR apps stop working, for example (I can live with this but would prefer to have full functionality)?

- If dual PPPoE sessions are still supported, is there any configuration required on the Bell router, or can I simply plug my own router's WAN port into one of the Bell router's LAN ports and set up my router with the Bell PPPoE login information? Again, there seem be be conflicting opinions about this, with some members stating that the Bell modem/router must be hard-reset and others simply connecting their router without any resets.

Thanks and Best Regards,
cinergi

Bell did stop the multiple PPPOE session.

All you need to do is factory reset your Bell modem and it will have a login ID of it's own (not yours). You probably want to turn off the wireless of it. And then plug your router, enter your Bell ID... you should be good to go.

dhcp

@bellmobilite.ca

Do not use multiple PPPoE clients.

Configure the PPPoE client in the modem.

Once that connection is up, configure your DD-WRT router's WAN connection to be DHCP.

Next, configure the modem to put your router in its DMZ (no firewall) so that you don't have double-NAT problems.

That does it...

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

i know primus does not allow more than one pppoe, cus ppl were putting it in the rouder and it and the modemz were losing synch. as for bell? i am not sure but just leaveit as is and plug the devicei n and let the modem give ur device a dhcp ip address, there is no technical reason for the pppoe unless your using one of those older modems like the speed stream or tompson 515 or speed touch any more, those days are gone.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!