Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

Re: [WIN8] With Sinofsky Gone, Start Menu Could Return to Window

Click for full size
I have windows 8 on my lenovo. at first i was really annoyed but with this app (not sure where i got it) it's not half bad. It's alright. Not going back to windows 7 right now since the machine speed is the same.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

I use classicshell on my touch based Windows 8 system and it's almost like the real thing (and it's free) - »classicshell.sourceforge.net/

After reading the topic's article I find it ironic that I'm using a third party application on a touch based system to undo exactly what this guy sold on Jobs.
said by OZO:

Did they offer an option for Office programs to return back from ribbon to conventional menu for those, who'd better use it?

On this topic I was steadfastly against the change or moreso I was against a forced change without an option to re-enable the menu until I'd read a programmer's blog that said all the options are there, they're just more visible there, and challenged people to prove him wrong.

After reading that and 'suffering' for 3 months, I came to agree with Microsoft...

But this is entirely different, you're clicking a button to go to an entirely different screen where you have to move your mouse around to see everything. It's grossly inefficient. At least the ribbon is in the same area as the menu they removed.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

The new desktop becomes the ribbon, don't you think?
And BTW, it's the same "forced change without an option to re-enable the menu"...
OZO

OZO to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

all the options are there, they're just more visible there, and challenged people to prove him wrong.

When we deal with information, the main problem is not to have it all in one place. The problem is to filter it and have only info, that you need, when you need it. Otherwise you'll be overwhelmed with amount of information presented to you...

The same principle applies to ribbon vs menu consideration. It's not useful at all to have all options taking all screen space at all times. It's useful to get only those items, that you need and, again, only when you need it.

Here is example form my computer maintenance practice. I remove all unnecessary items from context menu in WE, that many programs try to foist in my computers when they get installed. Now my context menu is very useful to what I need. And "New" menu item contains only file types, that I actually need to create. I even have BAT file, that removes all unnecessary trash, that every Office update pushes on my computers... It's the very same principle - I don't want to get buried with useless information and I try to remove unnecessary and organize the rest.