JJV
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

JJV

Premium Member

30 foot mast?

Click for full size
I have a temporary antenna set up on a 3 story roof top.
The set up is a radiowavex G5RV with a light bulb / painter pole to hold it up. The base is a water filled non penetrating roof mount.
This has survived 2 years through some serious storms.

Im looking for a more professional looking mast in the 30 foot range to replace the painter pole. I would rather not use guy wires.

Any ideas?

Im looking at this or similar.

»www.3starinc.com/rohn_h3 ··· ast.html
OregonBob
join:2008-10-14
Klamath Falls, OR

OregonBob

I got a 30 gallon oil drum from the Oil Can Henrys, the place that changes your cars oil. Free

3 bags of premix concrete at Home Depot, and a 22 foot top rail for chain link fence. About $20.

Just put the rail in the oil drum, ad the premix and water and let it set.

You have a portable mast that's pretty cheap.

Make two for your dipole.

Good Luck,
Bob

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim to JJV

MVM

to JJV
The Rohn masts need guys or they'll bend up with a high wind.

OregonBob's suggestion is pretty good, but I'm not sure you'd need *quite* that much concrete!
JJV
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

JJV

Premium Member

I don't mind spending money for a professional product.

This 38 footer might work. I use the antenna in a inverted V position so the ends are only up about a foot.

»www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass ··· htm#38ft

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim

MVM

I've bought quite a few things from Max Gain Systems, and I've been very satisfied with their products.

I'm sure that mast would be excellent quality.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

1 edit

Hank to JJV

Premium Member

to JJV
Are your masts tied to building ground??

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to JJV

to JJV

That 38 foot push-up requires guying as well.
JJV
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

JJV to Hank

Premium Member

to Hank
Not yet

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to JJV

to JJV
I think that anything that tall (and thin) needs guying. I could be wrong but that's been my experience.
JJV
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

JJV

Premium Member

The pole in the picture is extended to 26 feet. that seems to work well. Its just not pretty.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

Since you don't want to acknowledge the posts telling you that any *long* pole needs to be guyed, then quite frankly you need to decide which way you want it, and you can't have both.

Short mast = no guys

Tall mast = guys.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Fire marshal inspection and no building ground equals no mast - that's that short and long of it.
JJV
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

JJV

Premium Member

I'm considering ordering 2 more of those water filled non penetrating roof mounts and just going with a 10 foot or so mast. Height = hassle.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

Well you're already 3 stories up, so its just a matter of getting the signal off the roof and you're all set.
tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

tobicat to JJV

Premium Member

to JJV
Reference grounding. i am gonna bet that that the access head that you have all the coax coming thru is grounded. So all you need to do is ground to that. Not that it will matter for a direct hit.
JJV
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

JJV

Premium Member

The conduit is grounded to a huge piece of copper down stairs. I have no idea where that copper runs but it likely finds earth somewhere.
The amp radio and tuner are electrically grounded in the radio room.
What would I ground to from the conduit upstairs? The mast will likely end up being fiberglass.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to JJV

to JJV
said by JJV:

Im looking for a more professional looking mast in the 30 foot range to replace the painter pole. I would rather not use guy wires.

Lots of low center of gravity non-pen mounts to select from here, most you just set in-place and add blocks.

»www.solidsignal.com/sear ··· 1&cart=1

As for a pole you can use a Channel Master 40 foot pushup to about 25 feet unguyed without a problem.