join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to curBe

Re: [speed/latency] Speed Decrease

Let's focus on the upstream end of the line first before we start messing with the speed. Your upstream is looking awful. If your line is really 13,300ft out it's pretty impressive that you are holding nearly the full 10Mbps sync.

None the less, you have a problem on the upstream. Connect your modem to your NID, bypassing all of your home's wiring and see if you can get some better statistics out there. If your sync rate isn't hitting ~12Mbps down, 1Mbps up, get Verizon out to repair your line. That upstream attenuation should be at least half of where it's at now, and it should also get potentially lower.

curBe

join:2012-11-17
Ithaca, NY
Thanks for the responses!

In the process of checking cables I think the problem has been solved. Although I am not sure what the specific problem was.

I unplugged the line between the modem and phone jack to try a different cable. There was no improvement with the other cable so I replaced the older cable and I am back to normal speeds.

Speedtest:

Transceiver:

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 11742 1113
Margin (dB) 10.9 11.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 21.5 9.6
Transmit Power (dBm) 0.0 11.0

I am guessing it was a loose cord? Or maybe the jack/cable contact is bad?

Thanks again!

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
glad you got it fixed. now those stats look a lot better than the first ones. i would say it's probably an issue with the wall jack, as if it was just a loose cable, the second cable you tried would've fixed the issue. i would just recommend replacing the wall jack, as they can be picked up for only a couple bucks.

curBe

join:2012-11-17
Ithaca, NY
I am going to pull the jack out and look at the wiring. Maybe something obvious will pop out.

Thanks for the advice!