spc
Search similar:

uniqs
simon726
join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON

simon726

HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop won't start - black screen

I have a friend of mine whose laptop failed to start up and it's been almost 2 years since this had happened.

My friend's laptop is an HP Pavilion dv2000. The precise (and technically precise) model was a dv2412ca. Whenever I tried to turn on the system, I see that nothing shows up on the screen. I've tried running with and without the battery, but it doesn't work.

In an odd twist, when I plugged in the AC adapter for the laptop, the computer suddenly turned on by itself. I've tried opening and closing the CD/DVD tray, but no dice.

I also removed the hard drive and re-seated the RAM modules, but still the problem persisted.

From what I had heard from my colleagues, this particular laptop in question was the most problematic systems that HP has made.

My only last hope is to get a replacement motherboard for that laptop - problem is - it is often hard to find because of the model and most importantly - the price to have it shipped from outside a foreign country.

Has anyone got this particular laptop have similar stories? What are your particular suggestions to this situation?

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3

I also had a friend that gave me a non-functional DV2000. In this case, bad HDD. I replaced the HDD and gave the laptop to my daughter. It lasted about 2 months, then would not power on. After reading about all the problems with this model, I threw it out and got her a used Dell D630. That laptop has been a real trooper, has worked flawlessly for her for 2 years now.

I never want to deal with an HP Pavilion machine again. Too many people I've met have had too many issues with them. Elitebook, maybe, but never again will I deal with Pavilions.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to simon726

Premium Member

to simon726
Sounds like a bad board based on what you've mentioned.

Grab the motherboard part number and hit Google/Froogle, Amazon, Ebay, or even HP's parts site. (partsurfer.hp.com). Partsurfer will be more expensive usually but there is some comfort knowing you are getting the exact right part. Other vendors can be a gamble. Warranty may be a factor too.

HP motherboard part numbers will typically be under the memory module access door on a label on the frame of the system. Or use Partsurfer to find it using the system info.

Once you are armed with the actual motherboard part number you can start browsing. The DDV2412CA likely model came in a variety of customizations - the board could be unique enough that you want to make sure you buy the right one. Don't rely on pictures, many vendors use stock photos, it may be the actual part.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy to simon726

to simon726
Is your battery on the recall list?
»bpr.hpordercenter.com/hb ··· t.aspx#1

shrug
simon726
join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON

simon726

I've checked just now and it's NOT on the particular recall list in question.