uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

The point of Overclocking

Can someone tell me what is the point of Overclocking your CPU?
I mean come on it only will make CPU run faster by %2.

Smoove910
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Nampa, ID
wow, really?? 2%?? I've overclocked up to 30% faster (or more). Sounds like you just don't have the knowledge to OC correctly.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 edit
said by Smoove910:

wow, really?? 2%?? I've overclocked up to 30% faster (or more). Sounds like you just don't have the knowledge to OC correctly.

I have to Admit, I do not know much about OC. But anyway i rather buy a better CPU than taking a chance of frying the CPU.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Oleg
Can anybody tell me what the point is in deliberately posting a thread in the wrong forum, knowingly?

Oleg, there IS a forum for that.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to Oleg
said by Oleg:

said by Smoove910:

I have to Admit, I do not know much about OC. But anyway i rather by a better CPU than taking a chance of frying the CPU.

And other people like to overclock. There is no right or wrong answer. And it's been answered by both the pro and con sides, just ask google
--
♬ Music is life ♬

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg
Overclocking started way back in the days. Even in the pentium 1 33/66/100 mhz days. It was easy just by changing a jumper on the mainboard. lol. Celeron was also a recommended cpu to overclock back in the days.

Now, days people overclock it to get that speed. If a $300 chip could overclock to a $400 chip speed. You save $100.

Example: Lets pretend for a sec. There is a i5-3330k that cost $300, and there is also i5-3570k for.... $500. And not care about the gpu that it has.. We just care about the Ghz in this case. The 3330k only have 3.2Ghz. While 3570k have 3.8Ghz. If you could overclock your 3330k to 3.8ghz, you just saved $200. That was the point of overclocking. Saving money by overclocking. Also, in this case both have the same Cache memory on the cpu. So, an overclock vs the 3570k is better much the same when you bench it.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
True. But in my opinion i rather get a faster or better CPU. As for the CPU frequency going from 3.2Ghz up to 3.8Ghz i do not see a point of OC. And as far as i5 and i7 goes you are not going to see a big difference.

Relkin

join:2006-03-05
nightmare
I have a 2600k running at 4.5ghz, please show me a comparable stock intel chip that I can use instead. You can't. That is why we overclock.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to signmeuptoo
said by signmeuptoo:

Can anybody tell me what the point is in deliberately posting a thread in the wrong forum, knowingly?

Oleg, there IS a forum for that.

Par for his course.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Oleg
said by Oleg:

True. But in my opinion i rather get a faster or better CPU. As for the CPU frequency going from 3.2Ghz up to 3.8Ghz i do not see a point of OC. And as far as i5 and i7 goes you are not going to see a big difference.

so you posted with your opinion set.

Let me ask a question--I bought a 2.66 GHz quad core for $300. The 3.33 GHz was $1000.

Should I have spent the extra $700, or just OC'd my way there (BTW I have overclocked the $300 chip to 3.6 GHz stable).

I'm sorry, but your opinion is invalid.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Oleg:

so you posted with your opinion set.

Let me ask a question--I bought a 2.66 GHz quad core for $300. The 3.33 GHz was $1000.

Should I have spent the extra $700, or just OC'd my way there (BTW I have overclocked the $300 chip to 3.6 GHz stable).

I'm sorry, but your opinion is invalid.

Has to be the Q6600 vs the extreme edition.

=D

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
i7-920 :-D