how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jh20001
TheSaint

join:2012-11-18
Las Vegas, NV

[NV] Cox speed vs competition vs cost (Cox is slow)

I am starting to get concerned. I have always paid top dollar for Cox because they did what it could to stay ahead of the competition. However, now even my cell phone moves quicker than cox at less than half the cost.

Cox: $65/month for 20mbit/s and a 2mbit/s upload

AT&T: $30/month for 30+mbit/s (depending on where I am) and 11+mbit/s upload on average

Almost everything you do now relies on your upload speed just as much as your download. Gaming, video phone calls and the sort. Just about everything has video now for chat....computers, tablets, gaming systems and now even my TV has a camera in it if I wanted to skype someone. I make a skype call on my phone to another phone...great streaming video. I make a skype call from my phone to any of my PC's on cox....or PC to PC on cox.....delay, lag, jittery image coming from the other party (while my image streams great if from my phone).

So let's look at upload.....$65 for 2....or $30 for 11+. Cox has not only fallen behind, but they have been smoked (and by wireless networks of all things........a giant fiber-backed network....smoked by cell towers)

What happened? Cox is slow for the price. If they want to dominate, they need to move the 20/2 connection to the essential package.

With Cox, $39.99/month gets you 3mbits/s and 768k up? and that's STILL more than the $30/month 30/11+.....what on earth.

Prove to us Cox that you are the dominating member of the party of competitors. Don't even give competition a reason to pick up customers. Or do you prefer to make the extra money not by growing rapidly but instead by cutting costs and shipping jobs? Don't be what America has grown to hate and will soon uprise against. Else you will find yourself next to Hostess at the unemployment line.

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ
try using more than 5gb of data on your AT&T connection and let me how that works out for you price wise..

I pay $90/mo for 50mbps/5mbps to cox. I don't have any of the problems you mention. I would call out a tech, check signal levels, remove/replace any 'routers'.. Ranting on here without any information on your connection is pointless.

I pay $350/month to verizon for 3 phones on 4g and a 4g mifi with 10gb of data. The 4g has never out performed my cox connection.

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV
I think I have stated myself quite clearly.

I have unlimited data with att and use however many gigs I want for $29.99

Cox cable I have the $65/month 20/2 account.......

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV
you make some very good points

i have wondered this myself why are so many wireless networks starting to out perform our internet connections at home???

a lot of isp's across the nation have already made drastic speed increases

the only market which cox has made any changes too is the Rhode Island market where the ultimate tier has been moved from 50/5 to 100/20 and the premier tier has been up too 36/10

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
reply to jh20001
to OP: can tell me what's difference latency on the cox between and AT&T wireless what'd you are getting?

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV
said by ikyuaoki:

to OP: can tell me what's difference latency on the cox between and AT&T wireless what'd you are getting?

My ping to LA on cox varies between 20 and 80 on average, with AT&T higher at around 80-110. AT&T is higher although still great.

Another great thing about AT&T is there is none of that temp little boost. Cox's boost has turned into a tease more than anything anymore. AT&T's speed stays steady.

Don't get me wrong. For the most part, Cox's downstream is usable. It's just that 1) the upstream is severely outdated and 2) The speed to price ratio is outdated. So I feel cheated on the upstream and cheated on the price now.

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
oh well, that's pretty high latency but if that works for you then it's great. in my case, i'm gamer and i'd cares about latency that's more important to the gamers is latency anyway.

thanks for tell me what'd difference.

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV
said by ikyuaoki:

oh well, that's pretty high latency but if that works for you then it's great. in my case, i'm gamer and i'd cares about latency that's more important to the gamers is latency anyway.

thanks for tell me what'd difference.

I agree. What I am referring to being pretty good is the fact that it is better than it has been in the past. I remember when I got about 300 on cox. So to get around 80 even on a cellular connection is pretty good. Especially as it only get's better.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to jh20001
Apparently AT&T throttles you after consuming between 3-5GB, so that's something to keep in mind.

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to jh20001
It's relative to where you live.

In my area in OK, I can get Cox (currently premier for 62.99, 35 down, ~5 up), or AT&T basic DSL (3 down, 768k up) for 40 bucks. Between those two, Cox wins hands down.

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV
said by bchandler02:

It's relative to where you live.

In my area in OK, I can get Cox (currently premier for 62.99, 35 down, ~5 up), or AT&T basic DSL (3 down, 768k up) for 40 bucks. Between those two, Cox wins hands down.

Cox should be running at around 50/10 at least (in my opinion) for the premier tier. Their essential tier is a joke just like AT&T DSL in your area is a joke.

As for Oedipus, I haven't been throttled so I don't know. I have heard rumors about that as well and if it were to happen, I would rebel very hard about that since it's not something they mention when you sign up for it (when they tell you unlimited access to highspeeed 4g lte....throttled means limited access). Thankfully I haven't run into the problem. The most I have done on this phone is 8GB, previous phone tethers without requiring their tether plan and I used god knows how many GBs. Speed has been stable for the most part without throttle.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jh20001
AT&T LTE isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It's $30 for 3GB and if you are grandfathered unlimited at that price they traffic shape the crap out of you after 3GB bringing your connection to a crawl. My AT&T iPhone 4 and 5 was/is lucky to see 200kbps after getting throttled at 3GB. I ended up ditching it for Sprint.

So if you don't use any data, AT&T is great...want to use them and they blow goat.

For unlimited wireless I use Clear WiMax which is great in the 3 places I can find connectivity (8-13Mb true unlimited 50-60ms latency).

spanglo
Premium
join:2004-05-17
San Diego, CA
reply to jh20001
I know what you mean. It's kinda pathetic that my verizon wireless has twice the upload speed of my Cox Ultimate home connection.

You would expect the top tier cable connection to easily best anything wireless has to offer.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
+1

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to jh20001
It was once explained to me that DOCSIS 3.0 upstream had not lived up to its stated theoretical potential due to the unrealistic idealistic testing and standard setting at CableLabs. At the recent Cable Show, Motorola and Cisco both gave sobering presentations indicating they had given up trying to make D3 upstream work to its stated potential. The real world physical plant environments were much worse than CableLabs had tested for. The presentations basically were a prelude to the need for DOCSIS 3.1 or an even more radical DOCSIS 4.0. The other option is for HFC to be replaced by FTTH or FTTP. The HFC systems were never designed or built to do what they are being asked to do in upstream. Transitioning to an all digital cable operation has been costly for cable system operators. The analog mandate only recently expired and the final transition to all digital is going to take a few more years. The take rate for the 50/5 tier does not seem to be high enough for Cox to significantly offer the 50/10, 105/10, and 105/20 levels offered by Comcast. Cox's insistence on offering the "Starter" and "Essential" speed tiers for the prices they do is the result of little real competition in most of the markets they serve. In my area, if AT&T had utilized VDSL the way they should have, Cox would not be offering such limited tiers for such high prices.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
speed upgrades for the las vegas valley are coming soon its that time of year that they usually do it

i have no idea the exact date however it must me soon

kboxvegas

@cox.net
Yeah but it is also usually coupled with a price increase across multiple services

Just over three years ago I decided to get ahead of the game by swapping out my four HD/DVR boxes and digital cable outlets by going with two cable cards with Ceton tuners in a WMC center enviroment. I dropped my bill by $45 a month but now with no changes to my service Cox has crept the bill back up to where it used to be before I made the equipment cut by yearly price increases. There is no winning with this greedy company, Vegas needs a FTTH co-op badly.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
fiber to the home would be amazing but with the advancements in docsis 3.1 coming in the next few years i would not expect to see any fiber to the home unless century link got bought out

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV
reply to jh20001
If they up my price, I promise I will drop *all* other services with Cox in exchange for it as well as vote to drop it at the office all together (I assure you, my vote won't be challenged). I am finished playing with Cox if this is how they are going to play ball. So if they increase my price, great...they will lose everything else.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
yeah it seems that not only are annual speed increase present but same with annual price increases (not picking on Cox here a lot of isp's do this)

seems every year Americas internet gets slightly better but more expensive

for the prices we pay our services should be 50x better

seems google has the right idea with their google fiber project
no caps
1000mbps up
1000mbps down
tablet pc as your remote
cable boxes also wifi hot spots
low prices very low

only down side you have to pay install fee but its worth it if you ask me

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV
said by bryant313:

yeah it seems that not only are annual speed increase present but same with annual price increases (not picking on Cox here a lot of isp's do this)

no caps
1000mbps up
1000mbps down
tablet pc as your remote
low prices very low

Install fee is more than worth it. I'd be all over that.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to bryant313
said by bryant313:

fiber to the home would be amazing but with the advancements in docsis 3.1 coming in the next few years i would not expect to see any fiber to the home unless century link got bought out

if you're in a centurystink area, DON'T look for better speeds. be happy with what cox is giving you.
--
Despises any post with strings.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to jh20001
said by jh20001:

said by bryant313:

no caps
1000mbps up
1000mbps down
tablet pc as your remote
low prices very low

Install fee is more than worth it. I'd be all over that.

only downside is 99.99999999999% of areas cant get google fibre so its a m00t point.
--

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV
Just got the confirmation that Cox is raising prices on the 15th. As if the price of "too much" wasn't enough as it is. I'm definitely dropping TV for cox. I'm out....and as soon as I find a competitive offer for internet, I am out of that as well.

Also, no guarantee of speed upgrades....just a price hike.

Needleinthha

join:2009-11-30
said by jh20001:

and as soon as I find a competitive offer for internet, I am out of that as well.

Riiight. Good luck with that. Let's see, you can go with CenturyLink and get maybe 6mbps down/1mbps up if youre lucky or you can go with LTE and get a whopping 3 gigs/month included and get charged $10/gig after that (or if like you said you're grandfathered into "unlimited" then after 3gigs your connection grinds to a crawl). I like how you're so angry and going to drop them but dont seem to mention any good actual viable, practical alternatives....

I agree there are alternatives to TV...Hell, I have a roku with netflix, hulu, bit torrent, OTA antenna and then stream sports over the internet and I really dont miss cable at all or the $80/month-ish bill. But as for internet, there really arent any options to Cox that don't have major problems

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV
Your argument has no wait to me. Just because there isn't a good competitor *yet* in Vegas, doesn't mean it fully justifies Cox's actions of ripping people off. I used to swear by them when they were fair and always pushing ahead. Now they don't care...they squat and it keep increasing the price even though they are already making a fortune with their over-priced services.

Also, once again I have yet to be throttled in any way on my cellphone. I am constantly streaming both audio and video all the time and have gone over 3gigs a number of times thus far and haven't had my connection throttled.

I hear nothing but excuses. As a people we fight more among each other than against the cause. Just like the government. We spend more time arguing and bickering with each other about something we don't agree with than we do actually doing something about. I personally would rather do something about it. Take action.

So therefore, instead of simply complaining about what I don't agree with, I am also taking action. I have voiced my opinion and have started to drop service. After discussing it with my brother he has done the same both for his house and is canceling TV at the office (going with online services instead). My parents are talking about canceling at their house as well since they mostly watch movies and rarely TV, so there is no point for them to pay more than top dollar for something they don't hardly use. So far a friend has also considered it and I am sure there will be more.

If you mistreat your customers, you will lose customers. As for you, if you prefer to spend all your time debating me in their defense, well then more power to you. You are nothing more than a mere tool to the system and obviously have no issue with giving away everything you earn for little value and have little care towards standing up for yourself. (no offense is intended...simply trying to point out reality).

Nothing will ever be cone about anything unless everyone stands together and says "enough".

SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Southeast
reply to jh20001
So your main gripe w/Cox is upload speed? I'll agree with that. A 10:1 down/up ratio is a joke.

It's currently impossible in my area to get anything higher than 5.5mbps uploads, and that would cost you a little over $100/mo after fees and taxes. The odd part is to get 5.0(max) upload on a business plan would run about $400/mo, and you can't even get 5.5 with business plans at all.

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV
To be honest, just for having the nerve to ask for more, I think they should be forced into an upgrade. Not only that but penalized and forced to offer a 2-1 ratio instead of a 10-1.

If enough people stand up to them something could be done about it. The question comes down to what is the best way of doing it? Petitions won't get us anywhere.......so mass cancellation....class action even if enough data can be acquired (...classifying the their practices as acts of corporate-level extortion). With enough mind power, a solution can be found.

Enough of milking the consumers. How are we to ever evolve at the speed we are capable of if we allow the headliners of such technology to drag the process for as long as possible so that they can maximize profits despite the outcome. Meanwhile we fall behind and contribute to an unbalanced economy. At this rate...*mediocre* cable will only be available to those who can afford an expensive kick.

We also really need more competition. More companies like Google who are willing to put a fork in the madness and force businesses to move ahead with the times.

blackstar257

@cox.net
I agree! I would love to see a poll between ISP's in USA based on their cost per MB for upload speed

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to jh20001
'Tis the season to drop services to keep my bill under $200.
with the nfl season winding down it makes it really easy to cut the cord.
--