Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jh20001
TheSaint

join:2012-11-18
Las Vegas, NV
reply to bryant313

Re: [NV] Cox speed vs competition vs cost (Cox is slow)

said by bryant313:

yeah it seems that not only are annual speed increase present but same with annual price increases (not picking on Cox here a lot of isp's do this)

seems every year Americas internet gets slightly better but more expensive

for the prices we pay our services should be 50x better

seems google has the right idea with their google fiber project
no caps
1000mbps up
1000mbps down
tablet pc as your remote
cable boxes also wifi hot spots
low prices very low

only down side you have to pay install fee but its worth it if you ask me

Install fee is more than worth it. I'd be all over that.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to bryant313

said by bryant313:

fiber to the home would be amazing but with the advancements in docsis 3.1 coming in the next few years i would not expect to see any fiber to the home unless century link got bought out

if you're in a centurystink area, DON'T look for better speeds. be happy with what cox is giving you.
--
Despises any post with strings.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to jh20001

said by jh20001:

said by bryant313:

yeah it seems that not only are annual speed increase present but same with annual price increases (not picking on Cox here a lot of isp's do this)

seems every year Americas internet gets slightly better but more expensive

for the prices we pay our services should be 50x better

seems google has the right idea with their google fiber project
no caps
1000mbps up
1000mbps down
tablet pc as your remote
cable boxes also wifi hot spots
low prices very low

only down side you have to pay install fee but its worth it if you ask me

Install fee is more than worth it. I'd be all over that.

only downside is 99.99999999999% of areas cant get google fibre so its a m00t point.
--

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV

Just got the confirmation that Cox is raising prices on the 15th. As if the price of "too much" wasn't enough as it is. I'm definitely dropping TV for cox. I'm out....and as soon as I find a competitive offer for internet, I am out of that as well.

Also, no guarantee of speed upgrades....just a price hike.

Needleinthha

join:2009-11-30

said by jh20001:

and as soon as I find a competitive offer for internet, I am out of that as well.

Riiight. Good luck with that. Let's see, you can go with CenturyLink and get maybe 6mbps down/1mbps up if youre lucky or you can go with LTE and get a whopping 3 gigs/month included and get charged $10/gig after that (or if like you said you're grandfathered into "unlimited" then after 3gigs your connection grinds to a crawl). I like how you're so angry and going to drop them but dont seem to mention any good actual viable, practical alternatives....

I agree there are alternatives to TV...Hell, I have a roku with netflix, hulu, bit torrent, OTA antenna and then stream sports over the internet and I really dont miss cable at all or the $80/month-ish bill. But as for internet, there really arent any options to Cox that don't have major problems

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV

Your argument has no wait to me. Just because there isn't a good competitor *yet* in Vegas, doesn't mean it fully justifies Cox's actions of ripping people off. I used to swear by them when they were fair and always pushing ahead. Now they don't care...they squat and it keep increasing the price even though they are already making a fortune with their over-priced services.

Also, once again I have yet to be throttled in any way on my cellphone. I am constantly streaming both audio and video all the time and have gone over 3gigs a number of times thus far and haven't had my connection throttled.

I hear nothing but excuses. As a people we fight more among each other than against the cause. Just like the government. We spend more time arguing and bickering with each other about something we don't agree with than we do actually doing something about. I personally would rather do something about it. Take action.

So therefore, instead of simply complaining about what I don't agree with, I am also taking action. I have voiced my opinion and have started to drop service. After discussing it with my brother he has done the same both for his house and is canceling TV at the office (going with online services instead). My parents are talking about canceling at their house as well since they mostly watch movies and rarely TV, so there is no point for them to pay more than top dollar for something they don't hardly use. So far a friend has also considered it and I am sure there will be more.

If you mistreat your customers, you will lose customers. As for you, if you prefer to spend all your time debating me in their defense, well then more power to you. You are nothing more than a mere tool to the system and obviously have no issue with giving away everything you earn for little value and have little care towards standing up for yourself. (no offense is intended...simply trying to point out reality).

Nothing will ever be cone about anything unless everyone stands together and says "enough".

SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Southeast
reply to jh20001

So your main gripe w/Cox is upload speed? I'll agree with that. A 10:1 down/up ratio is a joke.

It's currently impossible in my area to get anything higher than 5.5mbps uploads, and that would cost you a little over $100/mo after fees and taxes. The odd part is to get 5.0(max) upload on a business plan would run about $400/mo, and you can't even get 5.5 with business plans at all.

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV

To be honest, just for having the nerve to ask for more, I think they should be forced into an upgrade. Not only that but penalized and forced to offer a 2-1 ratio instead of a 10-1.

If enough people stand up to them something could be done about it. The question comes down to what is the best way of doing it? Petitions won't get us anywhere.......so mass cancellation....class action even if enough data can be acquired (...classifying the their practices as acts of corporate-level extortion). With enough mind power, a solution can be found.

Enough of milking the consumers. How are we to ever evolve at the speed we are capable of if we allow the headliners of such technology to drag the process for as long as possible so that they can maximize profits despite the outcome. Meanwhile we fall behind and contribute to an unbalanced economy. At this rate...*mediocre* cable will only be available to those who can afford an expensive kick.

We also really need more competition. More companies like Google who are willing to put a fork in the madness and force businesses to move ahead with the times.

blackstar257

@cox.net

I agree! I would love to see a poll between ISP's in USA based on their cost per MB for upload speed

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to jh20001

'Tis the season to drop services to keep my bill under $200.
with the nfl season winding down it makes it really easy to cut the cord.
--

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV

It's official. The prices have been raised. Given only by 3-4 dollars (as far as I can see at the moment), but in exchange they have lost more. It's time someone does something about it. So far I've canceled TV at home as well as my parents house (they had no problem jumping on board). My brother canceled TV as well with Cox as well as two friends who canceled their TV as well. TV has also been canceled at the office as well as plans to move connectivity to Cox. More people are talking about canceling TV but I have no updates on them at the moment so I don't know yet if they went through with it. I do have one other specific friend who just purchased a home and immediately threw up an antenna because they didn't want to deal with it (they have Cox at their old place). They already gave up on Cox before hand though as it was a few months ago.

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

I'm doing something!
I just added 2 hd-dvr to power my new 80" Sharp tv and my old 55" plasma.. Going to add another ultimate cable modem service because 50mbps sux and I'm impatient.

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV

lol...that's not doing anything. I just spoke with a number of other family members cutting back here and there on their services. Also someone wrote to one of our politicians and had a bunch of people sign it.

nickphx

Phoenix, AZ

Sure it is. I will use the additional bandwidth to make even more money to offset COX raising the rates by $4.

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV

Maybe I misunderstand, but it sounds like your trying to counter the increase in cost by buying additional services (unless of course the HD-DVR's are third party and you don't have Cox running to those sets...but then it would render the DVR's useless and you'd be better off having a roku box in place of cox).

kboxvegas4

join:2001-11-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:1

Just got off the phone with Cox about my node issues, looks like the speed upgrades are hitting Jan 31st. Premiere is going to 50/10 and ultimate is going to 150/20

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV

I finally just got someone to say something as well and similar but they claimed premiere is going to 50/20 (which I would approve of as 50/10 is still a 5-1 ratio which is horrible). Sounds as though Cox also suffers from proper internal communication. 50 is an acceptable upgrade for downstream. Upstream at 10 though is still very poorly outdated compared to what we are capable of doing "today" in technology. Which means they would still be trying to milk it as much as possible.

50 is great...but anything today that requires interaction via connectivity also relies on upstream just as much.

Examples:
- video communication (especially including multiple parties)
- video surveillance (both individual and full grid monitoring)
- upcoming technologies in gaming with this years new Xbox and PS
- upcoming technologies in video resolution...including 4K and eventually 8K (which requires a LOT more bandwidth than 50mbit/s based on the latest demonstration one of the companies did of it claiming it required a 380mbit downstream for 8k streaming)
- continuously increasing popularity in cloud activity (especially data backups)
- constant enhancements to online streaming (the size of the stream to bring better quality to both picture and sound)

And of course, multi-tasking between any of the above while performing your already everyday online activities throughout your house (web browsing, netflix, pandora, whatever).

Every day we dive deeper into the digital age, and the depth of the dive increases each time as we move quicker and quicker through the technological evolution. We have to be able to keep up with that when it comes to the mutual technology that is required (and already fully possible to accomplish with todays level of capabilities in that mutual tech) to take advantage of any of the rest.

Naturally the examples I gave are just a fraction of things available today and things to come (shortly).

Either companies like Cox who like to squat to make extra cash are going to tough up and catch up, or more pro-tomorrow companies like Google are going to steal the spotlight and those other (as I mentioned in my initial post) companies (ie Cox) will find them a nice cozy spot next to companies like Hostess in the unemployment lines.

If we want to accomplish great things in our life time, constantly pushing to accomplish greater as each day goes by, we need to push for tomorrow. Else the technological evolution will be dragged out by a handful of companies which will only weigh done the process of others who really try to reach for the limits, and our lifetime-evolution will be minimal and we will be stealing the experience from our next of kin.

kboxvegas4

Las Vegas, NV

Agreed Cox needs to step it up or bring their pricing inline with their service offering, but without competition to force their hand I dont think we will see much. On the other hand 10mb up is much better than the crappy 2mb we currently have.

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV

Yes but it's the people's willingness to just give up and accept it as "it is what it is" that does nothing but feed their intentions.

Same thing goes for politics. The people have so much more power than they think but they allow politicians to step all over them either because they don't know they can do something about it or because they simply just take it (as "it is what it is" and fighting it requires effort).

Yes 10 is better than 2 but what is 10 when we have the tech that makes 10 look like entry level dsl. Heck, we have the tech that makes 10 look like dial-up AOL or slower...but at the moment it isn't feasible to demand as it would require a massive upgrade in Cox's system (requiring a lot of money as well as special privileges from authorities in some cases).

Web/Internet 2.0 used mostly by military dominates the current speeds we see today and they are already working on the conceptual drafts of 3.0 where they said data and processing speeds will allow technology to discover things we could only dream about...before we can even plan for it as humans. From the many discoveries in quantum computing to the recent research of data teleportation. We have so many future technologies brewing and we have barely touched what we already have available to us.

kboxvegas4

Las Vegas, NV

Honestly, even the speed increase that they told me about does not do me any damn good with this low ball cap, just means I will hit the cap that much faster.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2

I give slightly better than a 51% chance the caps go up at the same time as those significant speed increases, for the customers on those tiers.

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV

I just want to see a free internet one day where there isn't a restriction on speed or capped data. Where all you pay for is a connection to join the web. Like Xbox live...it's just a way in and you have everything. You can play to your hearts content and you will never be kicked.

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA

There will ALWAYS be an overall data transfer limitation within a certain time frame, maybe the billing cycle, from any ISP. It may be extremely large. 99.99999% of the subscribers may not exceed it during that time frame. But some subscribers will. These things are based on the limitations of the equipment used by the ISP. Technological advances may keep the percentage of subscribers exceeding the limit, in any one time period, under 0.000001%. The question is how the ISP handles that. A wise ISP will use a series of increasing communications and then sanctions to persuade the subscriber to use the shared resource in a wiser more frugal manner.

As for the speed issue. Even if they are 100% successful, the people doing some of the the Internet 2 projects, which involve increasing the number of usable fiber optic light colors by a factor of 33, will hit a limitation on data transfer rates. So you, as an ISP subscriber, will have a limitation on data transfer rates. As good as Google Fiber in KCKS and KCMO will be, there is a speed limitation.

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV
reply to jh20001

I'm still pushing for 50/20. If the upstream isn't 20 then I'm cutting back on whatever else I can. I know there will be many more people wanting to cut TV and downgrade their packages for internet for the same reason. Way pay so much more when you're hardly getting a difference on your upstream. You pay more to handle more digital/tech traffic in your house...but the requirement goes both ways. 50mbit downstream...yes, that is a positive upgrade. Barely touching the upstream as always...not a good move. We need a major bump in upstream.

We have already rounded up a good number of people who are dropping Cox like flies. Now we have a few more interested in Henderson area. One of which was offered a really good deal through centrylink (I know...I know......Centurylink...bleh....but they have a buddy there that makes the price vs comparison to what they have now hard to say no if they make the switch).

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA

50/20 would be nice. A coworker, who use to design networks, told me that one possible problem with large upload to download speed ratios is that they can lead to a lot of unnecessary packet resend requests. So the ISP, by not keeping the ratio of download to upload speed at approximately 3 or less, is creating unnecessary and avoidable network traffic.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to jh20001

I left and swapped to CenturyLink at the new place, i have the 20/5 package, and i get a solid 19.5 down/4.6 up.. For less than what i was paying for 18/5 with Cox. I may not have "Power Boost" anymore, but i found it to be a joke anyway.

I just wish i could get the 40/20 connection again like i was able to get a few years ago when it was Qwest, Oh well i still am quite happy with my ~20ms ping time im getting, especially for the price (got it locked in at $35/mo for a year, then $60 thereafter but of course there's always negotiation)

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV

Cox is 19/2.5. You don't get 5 unless you have ultimate at the moment. So if you want a 5 for upstream, you have to pay double lol. Biggest load of crap ever. If Vegas had better competition, Cox would be laughed at by their competitors just as much as they are their customers right now.

nickphx

Phoenix, AZ

1 edit
reply to davidhoffman

I think your co-worker was confused... The usage patterns of the common household are heavy on the download.. Netflix , facebook, youtube, streaming audio.. Out bound connection requests are very small, so small in fact that your upstream limit could be 1/10th of the downstream limit and still not cause problems...

Also the cable modem handles the bandwidth limitation. So there's really no "unnecessary" network traffic because of the rate limiting. When you've hit your QoS that's set by the configuration file on the modem, the modem simply "delays" that traffic until it can fit it within the allowed limits. Your traffic doesn't make it past the cable modem to the rest of the network until the modem allows it.