uniqs
share rss forum feed

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to kboxvegas4

Re: [NV] Cox speed vs competition vs cost (Cox is slow)

I give slightly better than a 51% chance the caps go up at the same time as those significant speed increases, for the customers on those tiers.

jh20001
TheSaint

join:2012-11-18
Las Vegas, NV

I just want to see a free internet one day where there isn't a restriction on speed or capped data. Where all you pay for is a connection to join the web. Like Xbox live...it's just a way in and you have everything. You can play to your hearts content and you will never be kicked.

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA

There will ALWAYS be an overall data transfer limitation within a certain time frame, maybe the billing cycle, from any ISP. It may be extremely large. 99.99999% of the subscribers may not exceed it during that time frame. But some subscribers will. These things are based on the limitations of the equipment used by the ISP. Technological advances may keep the percentage of subscribers exceeding the limit, in any one time period, under 0.000001%. The question is how the ISP handles that. A wise ISP will use a series of increasing communications and then sanctions to persuade the subscriber to use the shared resource in a wiser more frugal manner.

As for the speed issue. Even if they are 100% successful, the people doing some of the the Internet 2 projects, which involve increasing the number of usable fiber optic light colors by a factor of 33, will hit a limitation on data transfer rates. So you, as an ISP subscriber, will have a limitation on data transfer rates. As good as Google Fiber in KCKS and KCMO will be, there is a speed limitation.

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV
reply to jh20001

I'm still pushing for 50/20. If the upstream isn't 20 then I'm cutting back on whatever else I can. I know there will be many more people wanting to cut TV and downgrade their packages for internet for the same reason. Way pay so much more when you're hardly getting a difference on your upstream. You pay more to handle more digital/tech traffic in your house...but the requirement goes both ways. 50mbit downstream...yes, that is a positive upgrade. Barely touching the upstream as always...not a good move. We need a major bump in upstream.

We have already rounded up a good number of people who are dropping Cox like flies. Now we have a few more interested in Henderson area. One of which was offered a really good deal through centrylink (I know...I know......Centurylink...bleh....but they have a buddy there that makes the price vs comparison to what they have now hard to say no if they make the switch).

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA

50/20 would be nice. A coworker, who use to design networks, told me that one possible problem with large upload to download speed ratios is that they can lead to a lot of unnecessary packet resend requests. So the ISP, by not keeping the ratio of download to upload speed at approximately 3 or less, is creating unnecessary and avoidable network traffic.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to jh20001

I left and swapped to CenturyLink at the new place, i have the 20/5 package, and i get a solid 19.5 down/4.6 up.. For less than what i was paying for 18/5 with Cox. I may not have "Power Boost" anymore, but i found it to be a joke anyway.

I just wish i could get the 40/20 connection again like i was able to get a few years ago when it was Qwest, Oh well i still am quite happy with my ~20ms ping time im getting, especially for the price (got it locked in at $35/mo for a year, then $60 thereafter but of course there's always negotiation)

jh20001
TheSaint

Las Vegas, NV

Cox is 19/2.5. You don't get 5 unless you have ultimate at the moment. So if you want a 5 for upstream, you have to pay double lol. Biggest load of crap ever. If Vegas had better competition, Cox would be laughed at by their competitors just as much as they are their customers right now.

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit
reply to davidhoffman

I think your co-worker was confused... The usage patterns of the common household are heavy on the download.. Netflix , facebook, youtube, streaming audio.. Out bound connection requests are very small, so small in fact that your upstream limit could be 1/10th of the downstream limit and still not cause problems...

Also the cable modem handles the bandwidth limitation. So there's really no "unnecessary" network traffic because of the rate limiting. When you've hit your QoS that's set by the configuration file on the modem, the modem simply "delays" that traffic until it can fit it within the allowed limits. Your traffic doesn't make it past the cable modem to the rest of the network until the modem allows it.