Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Joker
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-24
Oceanside, CA

Question on Sound Quality from AV Receiver

I purchased a new surround sound Yamaha RX-V4367 AV/receiver. I need help setting this up, I want to get the best sound quality out of the receiver. Should I use Red, Blue, Green component cable or Red, White, Yellow Analog? I have a DirecTV box with the HDMI running into my TV and Red, White and yellow cables going into the receiver. I have a DVD player with the HDMI running into my TV and Red, White and Yellow going into the receiver.
--
Blind as a Bat

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
That receiver has four HDMI inputs -- any reason you're not using HDMI from each device (DirecTV box and DVD player) and then one HDMI cable to the TV?
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Joker
Component (red/blue/green RCA) are analog video. Composite (yellow RCA) is the lowest quality analog video that you can choose. Neither of which have anything to do with sound quality.

Just as an FYI for video quality, from worse to best:
1) composite (yellow RCA) VHS quality 320x240 res
2) coax cable 320x240
3) S-Video 640x480
4) component (red/blue/green) 720P and some 1080P
5) DVI HD 720P/1080P
6) HDMI HD 720P/1080P

For the "best" sound quality, you will want to use digital inputs. In this case, that would be HDMI, optical, or coaxial. And for true surround audio transfer, those are your only choices. You can use the standard analog inputs (red/white RCA), but those are only stereo.

With all of that said, the speakers used will have a bigger impact on sound quality than the input type (analog or digital). The only real reason to choose one over the other is for the type or audio that is needed (ie: stereo or 5.1 surround).

The new style AVRs are designed to have everything connected directly to them, and then a single output to the TV. And always connect with the highest quality methods available on the hardware in question.
--
Google is your Friend

Joker
Premium,MVM
Oceanside, CA
reply to darcilicious
My DirecTV box which is a HR21 only has one HDMI, one Composite and one Component.
--
Blind as a Bat

Joker
Premium,MVM
Oceanside, CA
reply to Dogg
Thanks, your info really helped.
--
Blind as a Bat

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Joker
said by Joker:

My DirecTV box which is a HR21 only has one HDMI, one Composite and one Component.

That's fine (and pretty much the standard)

All your (playback) devices should connect HDMI out to one of the four HDMI inputs on the receiver.

Then a single HDMI out from the receiver to HDMI input on the TV.

You will get sound and video from all you devices to your TV by switching the inputs on the receiver with the receiver remote control.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Joker
Premium,MVM
Oceanside, CA
If I plug the HDMI from my DVD player into my AV receiver, where do I get my picture from? I have composite cables running from the DVD to the AV. My AV receiver is not directly plugged into my TV.
--
Blind as a Bat

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
HDMI will do both audio and video.

Your AV receiver should be plugged directly into your TV, that's the whole point. You use one HDMI cable in between your AVR and the TV.

You plug your HR21 into the receiver using HDMI.
You plug your DVD player into the receiver using HDMI.

Then you select which you want to use (HR21 or DVD player) by selecting the right input on the receiver with the receiver remote control. Whichever input you select on the receiver will show up on the TV.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
And then get ready for a substantial change in sound quality! It sounds like you are running pure analog stereo right now. Get those devices connected to the receiver via HDMI so you can get some real surround sound!

Joker
Premium,MVM
Oceanside, CA
reply to darcilicious
thanks

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to Joker
In addition: Once you make this change, doublecheck settings on all your devices (DirecTV box, DVD player, etc..) and make sure the audio is set properly for multichanneel audio. You'll have to do the research on this but it should not be too hard to figure out.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Joker
said by Joker:

I purchased a new surround sound Yamaha RX-V4367 AV/receiver.

Did you mean RX-V467? Did you look at the manual? There are detailed diagrams and instructions for connections to external components beginning on page 14.