urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband

Re: Outbound mail server Spoofed.

Even with SPF turned on, you still have servers on the internet firing off spam in your name and there's nothing you can do to stop it. SPF doesn't stop people from sending, it bounces back from the servers that support SPF that lookup your domain and even then, much of the internet doesn't even support SPF.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

I know that it would do nothing. It was the fact the HostGator's answer was to fix the problem-- turn on domain keys (which is used for incoming mail) and SPF. None which would really correct the problem.

After rebuilding the server and changing the IP that was assigned to it, the SPAM did stop, but the fact is, i pay them the manage the server and all, and nothing was done but passing the buck.

Then I asked- would anyone consider changing hosts after they refused to help and just kept passing the buck. I've debated about putting it back on my own T1 in house again.

izy
MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
ProCurve (HP) V1810-24g
SonicWALL TZ215
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

izy

MVM

said by TBBroadband:

Then I asked- would anyone consider changing hosts after they refused to help and just kept passing the buck. I've debated about putting it back on my own T1 in house again.

Best idea in this thread so far. Host your own email and use a 3rd party to filter spam.

Still, nothing you can do to prevent spammers from using a return address on your domain other than SPF.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

the spammers were actually sending through the mail server. But yet still claim that since it was a shared server they're unable to implement any security on the POP/IMAP/STMP server as it would "break" the internet and their servers.