Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Markie
INTJ

join:2009-07-11
Canada

GSP! GSP! GSP!

A relentless Georges St-Pierre celebrated his comeback by winning a five-round decision over Carlos (Natural Born Killer) Condit to unify the welterweight title in a bloody battle at UFC 154 on Saturday night.

It was a high-tempo, take-no-prisoners fight with St-Pierre pushing the pace. The first two rounds went to GSP but Condit threatened briefly in the third. St-Pierre consolidated his lead with takedowns as the fight wore on.

Ultimately GSP's wrestling skills and ability to resist Condit's submission attempts on the ground won the day in what was an entertaining fight. St-Pierre controlled the contest.

The two battered fighters shook hands and embraced when the fight ended. The judges scored it almost a shutout for St-Pierre: 49-46, 50-45, 50-45.

St-Pierre had not fought since April 2011 as the result of reconstructive knee surgery following an injury suffered in training. Condit won the interim title during his absence, defeating Nick Diaz in February.

There were questions going into the fight. Would it be business as usual for St-Pierre in his seventh title defence? Or was the returning 170-pound champ ripe for the taking from a difficult opponent who seemed to be peaking at the right time.

St-Pierre (23-2) proved willing and able.

"People talk about ring rust. I definitely know what it is now," said St-Pierre. "Credit to Carlos, he definitely gave me my toughest fight."

»www.cbc.ca/sports/mma/story/2012 ··· 117.html

It goes on about how the super bout between he and Anderson Silva is likely a go, it seems inevitable now and Silva can't make many more excuses lest he leave the this one question unanswered: Can he beat GSP?

I might even PPV for the first time in my life to watch that fight, I know one of Silvas concerns is the $$$ from such a spectacle and I can't say I blame him for not wanting Dana to scatter some crumbs in the ring post fight as compensation...this is going to be for boxing type payouts otherwise I can see Silva being stubborn enough to walk away.
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
I don't think GSP and Silva will happen, mostly because of the rules that are rumoured to be around it like a catch weight of 177/178. Silva walks around at 230 and cuts to 185, so he could cut a bit further and bounce back with little effort. GSP walks around at about 195, so he'd be giving up about 25 pounds to Silva as a starting point, likely more.

I'd rather see Silva take on Jon Jones, but I doubt he'll do that as then Silva would be on the losing end of the weight battle and he'd be at a major disadvantage in terms of reach.

Silva sent out a notice recently that he was on leave until some time in late 2013, so who knows how things are going to go.

Now, about the bout last night..........WOW! GSP looked great and like he'd put on even more muscle, especially the upper part of his legs which now look more like an Olympic cyclist than a typical MMA fighter. He was quick and focused, and while that high leg kick caught him square and knocked him down, he certainly wasn't out of it and survived that round with aggression of his own at the end of it. He did make one comment after the fight that he got a blow/finger in the eye that had made his vision a bit cloudy on that side and he didn't see the kick coming. He did look good though. I have to give Condit credit too, as he was probably the best opponent GSP has met in a while, and did his best on a number of occasions to gain the upper hand in the match.

If either GSP/Silva or Jones/Silva happen, I'd see both fighters wanting major money for it to happen as they are putting their legacy on the line and one of them has to lose.

......and I was really happy to see Cote get the win as a result of the DQ to Sakara for the blows to the back of the head. I was watching with friends and we were all calling for the ref to step in after the 2nd of the 7 that were delivered, and thought it would be ruled no contest not a DQ.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

Robert
Premium
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL
reply to Markie
I thought with your title, that a garmin or tom tom saved your butt while traveling or something. Meh...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

I don't think GSP and Silva will happen, mostly because of the rules that are rumoured to be around it like a catch weight of 177/178. Silva walks around at 230 and cuts to 185, so he could cut a bit further and bounce back with little effort. GSP walks around at about 195, so he'd be giving up about 25 pounds to Silva as a starting point, likely more.

Yeah, Silva is just that much bigger, and GSP just got back in the game, he doesn't need the risk of injury.

The only way the fight would be fair, if both fighters would agree on a weight, say 190, and both would be monitored every day for a week and on fight day as well. No bullshit cutting weight...

IMO that's still the biggest joke with the weight classes... What the hell is the point?
--

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON
reply to Robert
said by Robert:

I thought with your title, that a garmin or tom tom saved your butt while traveling or something. Meh...

GSP is not the same as GPS

And if you dont like the topic, why comment?
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by BigSensFan:

said by Robert:

What!! You mean we can only post if we like a topic. What kind of BS is that. Ring time!! Seriously, this thread is a joke. This sport is joke (on civilization). I am not saying that these guys are not amazingly in shape, because they obviously are, drug enhanced or not, but there is no redeaming value in the sport. Just my opinion and I am sure it will be refuted with mature and rationale arguments.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

buttaknife

join:2007-06-01
reply to Markie
@Anav

No redeeming* value? Have you seen the impact it has had for children/kids/adults of varying ages? It's been keeping many active in life and not just rotting away in front of the TV or games. It's given a positive outlet for many of them, including the troubled who now are better people for it. There is a method to the "madness" and the discipline it can instill for most is life-changing.

I'm not going to say it's for the feint of heart, especially when it comes to the professional levels of competition, but it's as safe if not safer than many other sports out there, including but not limited to: boxing, football.

You're free to your opinion but it's painful obvious while you sarcastically make a call for maturity and rationality, all while hypocritically dispensing your own [(of note: really? you have issue with not being told you're not able to post because it would be unfavourable yet you deem this thread a joke... is it not posted under the same privilege as your post?)]; you clearly have no understanding or knowledge of this sport and art form. Maybe had you spent some doing some research (but hey, that's too much work right? It's much easier to just ignorantly write a few irrelevant sentences and hit the "Troll Now" button), with the advent of the internet.

Request granted.

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON
reply to Anav
said by Anav:

said by BigSensFan:

said by Robert:

What!! You mean we can only post if we like a topic. What kind of BS is that. Ring time!! Seriously, this thread is a joke. This sport is joke (on civilization). I am not saying that these guys are not amazingly in shape, because they obviously are, drug enhanced or not, but there is no redeaming value in the sport. Just my opinion and I am sure it will be refuted with mature and rationale arguments.

His response was MEH

Is that adding to discussion? Yours at least gives reasoning and argumentation of why you dont like the sport.
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

buttaknife

said by BigSensFan:

His response was MEH

Is that adding to discussion? Yours at least gives reasoning and argumentation of why you dont like the sport.

Quite frankly, I disagree on the latter part. Anav gave no actual reason or argument why he disliked the sport. No redeeming value -- it's sort of like me saying, as example, "I don't like Hockey because it doesn't make sense". It's a cheap, blanket statement without any supporting facts.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to buttaknife
said by buttaknife:

@Anav

No redeeming* value? Have you seen the impact it has had for children/kids/adults of varying ages? It's been keeping many active in life and not just rotting away in front of the TV or games. It's given a positive outlet for many of them, including the troubled who now are better people for it. There is a method to the "madness" and the discipline it can instill for most is life-changing.

I'm not going to say it's for the feint of heart, especially when it comes to the professional levels of competition, but it's as safe if not safer than many other sports out there, including but not limited to: boxing, football.

Well we disagree on many facets of the activity. Personally aspiring to hitting people and inflicting injuries, knocking them out etc, is not for my kids. In fact any parent that does should have their children removed from their care. Again just my opinion. Discipline, fitness, nutrition and instrinsic motivation are all excellent qualities no argument but UF is not an ultimate panacea and there are far better ways to achieve the common goals we seek (such as avoiding vegetative WII kids). To state however that UF somehow rescues people is a bit far fetched. I think you have Rocky on the Brain. What could have helped Rocky is support from all to actually go to school and get an education.
--
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

buttaknife

said by Anav:

said by buttaknife:

@Anav

Well we disagree on many facets of the activity. Personally aspiring to hitting people and inflicting injuries, knocking them out etc, is not for my kids. In fact any parent that does should have their children removed from their care. Again just my opinion. Discipline, fitness, nutrition and instrinsic motivation are all excellent qualities no argument but UF is not an ultimate panacea and there are far better ways to achieve the common goals we seek (such as avoiding vegetative WII kids). To state however that UF somehow rescues people is a bit far fetched. I think you have Rocky on the Brain. What could have helped Rocky is support from all to actually go to school and get an education.

Again your ignorance is at the forefront. Judging by your usage of UF(c) tells us you are another person who is associates UFC/Ultimate Fighting (as per your usage)=MMA. While the UFC's base is essentially MMA, it does not necessarily represent it as a whole. It's like saying NFL=Football, no if and/or buts. There's also the CFL and I'm sure many other leagues of football.

Using that same example, you're suggesting that any kids and/or parents who involve them in a sport that has physical activity is wrong. With Hockey and Football, there is a lot of physical contact involved; subsequently, even the minor and under 18 leagues (eg. High School) of the aforementioned sports has their contact. Truth to be told, they usually have stricter rule sets but a lot of the sport mechanics still apply and occur with or without intention.

So what you are saying that these parents should be held accountable and essentially have their children removed from them. Yes? No? If not, why? Because what you are describing is the same, regardless of method of contact. Practicing mixed martial arts does not equate to competing in mixed martials. Hell, kids have been training in one martial art or another for a long time. Karate, Tae Kwan Do... the list goes on, unless you've been under a rock for the last few decades.

So your attack on kids practicing the arts as a combined form vs a singular, being essentially humanely irresponsible, is absurd. Do you see organizations like the UFC or Strikeforce allowed children to fight it out on Pay-Per-View? No. If that was a case you'd have a valid argument.

Listen, no one is telling you what to do with your kids but I don't think you have any ground to stand on versus kids and kids turned adults who've professed and stood prime example to how mixed martials arts has changed their life from the depths of the gutter to becoming productive and good persons of society. Also, not sure where "Rocky on the brain" stands in this all -- that was a movie.

As far as the professional levels of competition, nobody is asking you to watch or agree. But aside from a couple bad apples here and there (happens in every sport), you see two adults show their ability under the rules and regulations of, eg, the UFC and the relative comission of the Province/State. And at the end of the competition, you almost always see one thing that truly shines forward -- that is, both competitors acknowledging each other in respect for the bout, win, lose or draw.

Again, you don't have to watch or like it. But if you are going to criticize it publicly, be prepared to bring some relevant facts or experiences. Otherwise you are just teetering on you-know-which-line.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Anav
said by Anav:

Personally aspiring to hitting people and inflicting injuries, knocking them out etc, is not for my kids.

Most of the top level fighters look to a submission achieved through tactical means as opposed to pummelling their opponent.

Obviously your knowledge of, and opinion of the actual sport, is based on ignorance. Your post is misinformed dribble.

On a side note people: I saw an interesting piece on the "warrior gene" in which MMA fighters were compared to Buddhist Monks. Guess what group predominantly had more of the aggressive gene?

WNGFAN 1

join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON
reply to Markie
Didn't see the PPV part of the event but looked like a real war judging by the cuts and bruises on GSP. Was lucky enough to attend UFC 152 in Toronto on Sept 22 and was amazed at the show they put on. Will be going again for sure. Anav if this sport is a joke why is it growing so fast world wide?

Tikker_LoS

join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

The only way the fight would be fair, if both fighters would agree on a weight, say 190, and both would be monitored every day for a week and on fight day as well.

this makes no sense to me

catch weight would be between the weight classes they fight at

177/178 should be where it's at. GSP walks around at 185ish I think, not 195 (but I wouldn't bet a donut on that)

WNGFAN 1

join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Markie
People got on Jon Jones for turning down a fight with Chael Sonnen on only 8 days notice. I think Anderson Silva saying he won't fight Bones Jones but willing to take on a smaller GSP reeks of fear of losing his perfect unbeaten streak. Dana White needs to step in and stop letting these guys pick their own opponents. GSP vs Johnny Hendricks who deserves a title shot would be a much better match.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
said by WNGFAN 1:

People got on Jon Jones for turning down a fight with Chael Sonnen on only 8 days notice. I think Anderson Silva saying he won't fight Bones Jones but willing to take on a smaller GSP reeks of fear of losing his perfect unbeaten streak. Dana White needs to step in and stop letting these guys pick their own opponents. GSP vs Johnny Hendricks who deserves a title shot would be a much better match.

Well said.

I think Dana wants to see GSP vs Spider rather than Jones vs Silva as it's two established champions while Jones is still relatively new at holding a belt (or being in UFC at all, compared to the other two) so they are more established in their legacy and have a larger following.

Overall, I don't like the idea of a "superfight" as it means people like Hendricks have to wait for a shot at a title while the titleholders get ready for something else, and then recover from it and start training for a title defense. There may not be anyone for Silva, but who is there for Jones right now? GSP has Hendricks and/or Diaz (if Hendricks doesn't meet Diaz first) that could be seen as legitimate contenders for the belt.

Bottom line: the 'lighter fighter' is at a disadvantage in any of these catch weight fights, so put Silva at the disadvantage and see if he wants to go or not.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to HiVolt
Recall the UFC when there were no weight divisions and Royce Gracie ruled the UFC.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to Markie
Old George "toilet flush" St. Pierre? George added a bit more bulk but his reflexes are slower not that they were all there in the first place. Anderson "spider web" Silva will clean his clock. Simply put George's reflexes are far too slow.

Robert
Premium
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL

1 recommendation

reply to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

said by Robert:

Relax guy, you seem a tad touchy. I found it was humorous that my brain flipped GSP into GPS. It is not like I came in and railed against MMA.
--
It's one thing to listen to an idiot talk. As soon as you respond, there are now 2 idiots having a conversation.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

1 recommendation

reply to Markie
Railed??, I was trying to KO the barbaric practice.
All one has to do is look at the low brow posting of the pin-up MMA girl who seems to have an over abundance of plastic surgery to understand the neanderthal crowd following the sad spectacle. Oh and of course its gaining in popularity, much the very same way the Tea Party is in the states. The world and the economy is falling into a shithole and the mindless masses need their diversions. Why not throw some lions into the ring too.
--

LlamaWorks Equipment

daeron

join:2012-05-11
Ottawa
Obvious troll is obvious. Try harder?

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
reply to ChuckcZar
said by ChuckcZar :

Recall the UFC when there were no weight divisions and Royce Gracie ruled the UFC.

Yea those were the days. I say let whoever fight whoever at whatever weight like it used to be. If the guy thinks he could beat him all the more power to him. Remember some big upsets in old ufc when the bigger guys lost bigtime.

Weight means nothing. Skill will beat weight.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by Riplin:

Weight means nothing. Skill will beat weight.

Except they are all now well rounded skill wise so unless there is a substantial skill deficiency weight is still a factor.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
reply to Markie
Exactly. Back in the day, it would have been a wrestler vs a specialist in judo/ju-jistu/karate/boxer, not someone with four of these skills against someone who has a different combination of four of them.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
Kimo vs Royce is a perfect example.