Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to hudiat

Re: Walking dead unwatchable

said by hudiat:

I don't even have a choice. It's WOW or uverse. Uverse wants $30 more a month for less, won't work with tivo, slower internet speeds, etc.

My neighbor has time warner, but they say I can't get it. I really really hope google's interest in Fiber/TV/Cellular pans out well over the next few years. They are actually innovating. Their Fiber network for TV/1Gbps internet is less than my current wow bill. A provider that financially benefits from users actually using the service rather than being subscribed is a fantastic thing for consumers. The more you use your connection the more they make, it is in their best interest to have everyone have a reliable solid fast connection.

If they partner with dish and offer unlimited LTE and dish TV at a reasonable cost, that would be game changing for the industry. My current LTE from ATT I get 35 down 10up with a 60ping at home, as compared to 30down 3up with a 30ish ping from WOW. Google has the money/experience/geniuses working there, that I bet they could drastically improve upon what current carriers offer in both speed and reliability. They already have the infrastructure to handle massive amounts of data moving through their network at once.

Yeah, it sucks that most of us have to get our home Internet service from either a phone company or cable company that has a vested interest in capping and/or overcharging for the connections (can't have folks using VoIP or streaming video services that compete with their own phone or TV services).

And cellular Internet is just insanely priced and isn't a viable alternative to cable or DSL.

Maybe it's best if we just started to become more "amish" and just start weaning ourselves "off the grid" before the US Postal service disappears, newspapers disappear (I heard on the news tonight that the Cleveland Pee Dee may start cutting back on their printed editions), etc.

ghgard

@wideopenwest.com
reply to kpossible

I agree, I've been having picture issues for several weeks along with audio cut outs. I'm almost to the point of switching providers, when I try to call in I wait 45 minutes just to be told to reset all the receivers. I like the value of WOW, but I also want quality.

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
reply to slyphoxj

Cellular isn't viable now. But as far as performance goes it close to cable. If a company were to build a complete LTE network from the ground up it could compete. Financially it isn't viable for almost an company but google. Google has existing rock solid world wide data infrastructure that very few if any other companies can come close too. Then on the financial front they are pretty much the only company that would benefit from you using the service, rather than just paying monthly. Sure they would have to build towers as a huge upfront expense, but again one of the few companies that could actually afford to do it.

Now lets say 2014-2015 rolls around and a hypothetical google ISP comes to town and they will give you an LTE connection with download speeds between 30-70 down and 10-20 up, and the downside over other alternatives is your ping is 45 instead of 20. You have no data limits to worry about and you get dish tv service. Bundled at $75/month. I would jump on that in a second.

But really the key is any company or technology, I just want an ISP like in googles case, benefits from users actually using the service. With that in place it is in their best interest to make sure you have a consistent reliable connection.

Wow goes out for a few hours one night they make the same amount of money as if it didn't. However in the ideal case, users not having service means less money for them, it is in their best interest to fix it ASAP AND properly maintain everything so it doesn't go out in the first place.

Ghost34tu

@wideopenwest.com

Internet is crap too. Getting 3-5 on speed tests not 30.

boop

@wideopenwest.com

Started experiencing channel loss last night as well. Seemed pretty random. Now it looks like the first half of the 200's are gone. Not good.

Internet has been fine the whole time though.

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
reply to hudiat

AMC last night was pixelated every 15-20 minutes. Lasted a good 10 seconds each time.

My wife said to me this has been going on all week even though I just saw it for the first time last night.

I thought it was from downloading some torrents while watching TV. The hundreds of connections I thought was screwing up my TV viewing but I guess others are having the same issue.

boopin

join:2011-08-25

said by Body Count:

AMC last night was pixelated every 15-20 minutes. Lasted a good 10 seconds each time.

My wife said to me this has been going on all week even though I just saw it for the first time last night.

I thought it was from downloading some torrents while watching TV. The hundreds of connections I thought was screwing up my TV viewing but I guess others are having the same issue.

Someone with WOW on another Columbus-specific forum I visit said they spent almost 2 hours getting through to customer service last night and they said they were told there was an update that went wrong and there's a big break in the fiber line somewhere that needs to be fixed.

Just glad my internet has been fine through all of this so far.

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..

My Internet has worked the whole time but is slow. I'm on 30 and am getting 7-8 on speed tests today. Slower last night. My DVR of the 1 or 2 am replay of walking dead looked much better but I only watched a few minutes. But internet is still slow.

This would be so much of a nonissue for a temporary thing, but the video is on going and just a brief interruption that shouldn't be a big deal at all is just the icing on the cake. Add to it you can't even get through to phone support. Have to come to a forum to hear rumors of a cleveland outage, then a Columbus outage. Why isn't on their home page, or tweeting updates, just leaving the customers in the dark unable to call or read official updates anywhere.

Am I the only one who's internet is effected? How do I know other than talking to people on an unofficial forum. If they would just say there is a wide spread issue and they working on it great, but instead I have to guess, then decide if its worth waiting on hold forever or giving it a few days, who knows.

kpossible
Premium
join:2003-09-11
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Hi -

My internet 50 / 5 is perfect right now, and probably will be until perhaps 8 or 9 in the evening, when it will drop to between 17 and 35 down, depending. Last night I was running around 20 down, give or take.

I seem to be strictly a nighttime "bandwidth diminisher" - not by any of my own doing.

boopin

reply to hudiat

My 50/5 runs at 50/5 all the time and has through this as well. Hopefully your issue isn't an overloaded node issue. Had to deal with that a lot on my old ISP. My 15mbps service was almost always at around 3mbps with 200+ ping between about 7pm-midnight every night.

kpossible
Premium
reply to slyphoxj

Is anyone fixed?

We're still having problems. Our boxes are arbitrarily rebooting, the pictures are totally freezing and it seems to be spreading to new channels.

hudiat

Mine has been on and off all day. Working fine, the issues, them some channels gone completely, then working fine again.

kpossible
Premium
reply to hudiat

Actually, even when we do have a "steady" video stream, the quality is bad. I'm hoping that that is just another side effect of this problem.

boopin

reply to hudiat

Came back and was working fine in the middle of the day. Back to most channels just being gone with the "This channel is not currently being broadcast, or there is a problem with receiving the signal" thing.

chitown7777

join:2012-06-25
Naperville, IL
reply to hudiat

Did they ever fix it?

Are you using Ultra TV?

That's is exactly what has happened to me twice in the last few months...once due to a service outage, once (well, now, actually) due to their billing system. Both times required a visit. It's like they are unable to re-establish service to those channels remotely once they drop. For me it also comes with weird internet issues, where the ping flies off the charts every few seconds.

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..

Fixed being subjective here, then yes, it eventually resolved to what it normal is. However I wouldn't call the normal state fixed. Still random pixelization, it's just watchable know, not too bad, bit worse than it should be. No I don't have ultra, and still have random Internet slowdowns and high pings. This has been the normal state for months now.