silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to DrStrangLov

Premium Member

to DrStrangLov

Re: 2012 Popular Science Best of What's New Award

When it comes to loading webpages, Exede does a pretty good job. But there are countless things that AccelNet cannot help with. VPNs might function okay on Exede, depending on what you do with them. But I know every high latency connection I have used, be it satellite or an extremely congested DSL/cable line, connecting remotely to a machine does not work so well. Especially when you do something particularly graphic intensive on the other end.

The project I am working on now and on and off for the foreseeable future performs optimally on at least 5mbps connection with a latency of ~60ms or lower. Anything that doesn't meet both of those requirements will still work, but productivity takes a hit. I don't have a connection at home that meets those requirements. It is not only noticeable, it is downright annoying.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by silbaco:

graphic intensive on the other end...performs optimally on at least 5mbps connection with a latency of ~60ms or lower.

Linux performs much better than MicroSlow...

Chances are, many of these VPN like programs are fat bandwidth hogs that have not been dieting, like Linux does.

In other words, these programers have taken the easy path, which bloats programs, and pigs out on bandwidth.

Since programmers have no mandate to conserve bytes, then most all could care less about how much is transmitted over internet.