spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gmaildotcom

@mchsi.com

Preservation

I have a few photos that I want to make sure are preserved with an additional criteria of being a bit premium quality for storage. I first considered an Apple iPad with Retina to load the photos into, however, that's not a long term solution due to lacking of ability to replace the battery or even finding a battery replacement. So not sure that an electronic device, without a replacement battery, is ideal. I then considered having some physical prints in a nice portfolio that isn't a Walmart 19.99 product.

Any suggestions on either idea?

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

hard drive? DVD?

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

3 recommendations

reply to gmaildotcom

In as many places as possible. Hard drives, flash memory devices, DVDs, etc in different locations (ie not just your house).

Chuck22
Premium
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:5
reply to gmaildotcom

For quality archival storage, save images on an M-Disc. (Requires an M-Disc Blu-Ray drive/burner.) No potential data loss problems as with a CD or DVD.
--
amicitia sine fraude

gmaildotcom

@mchsi.com
reply to gmaildotcom

I've got them on different digital media, though I'll have to look at M-Discs, but I should have been more specific to state I was looking at something a little more physical or easier to view from.

Since it took hours to get this thread approved, I was able to do a lot more research and found Adorama and that they offer a leather covered book and quality prints. I'm thinking that may be my plan. But I still welcome suggestions!

Chuck22
Premium
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:5

Yes, Adorama is good. You might also want to check Shutterfly's offerings and options.
--
amicitia sine fraude

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
reply to gmaildotcom

Print them!

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to gmaildotcom

If you're doing electronic storage, be sure they're saved in common data formats used across operating systems. (JPG, TIFF, etc) Common mistakes are to save documents in proprietary formats. When the software and/or operating systems to work with them goes extinct, they're unrecoverable.

Also, review the availability for media readers. I had customers who archived data on 5" diskettes using Wordstar and Tinycalc on WIN 3.1 machines. It wasn't pretty finding ways to recover that stuff.

--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.