Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Raphion

Premium Member

to Raphion

Re: Another Edition of "What's Wrong With This Picture?&quo

said by Raphion:

If that's a safety "major", my fingernails could be deadly some days.

The cut 'tails' on Ty-wraps will cut like a knife... My arms are covered in small scars from all the cuts I've received climbing through cable racks over the years... It is a safety hazard.

As for using twine on power cable, that's standard practice in telco... I'll snap some pics of 500 and 750 mcm cable laced in tray when I'm at work tomorrow.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

John Galt6

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
This is the battery room for an OC192 POP that we built for Sprint in 2005. It took 5 JWs 60 days total to build this from empty room to test and commission. In 2007 we went back and took it all apart, packed it up and shipped the gear some place else.

Total time in operation: zero hours

But I digress...

You can see the waxed linen lashing on the conductors.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

The cut 'tails' on Ty-wraps will cut like a knife... My arms are covered in small scars from all the cuts I've received climbing through cable racks over the years... It is a safety hazard.

A cig lighter (yes, your house and the whole neighborhood will burn Chicago style if you do this) will quickly blunt the tip if it is a problem. If there is a flame, blow it out. You can do the same thing thing to stop certain plastic ropes from unraveling when knots are unfeasible.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by patcat88:

A cig lighter (yes, your house and the whole neighborhood will burn Chicago style if you do this) will quickly blunt the tip if it is a problem. If there is a flame, blow it out. You can do the same thing thing to stop certain plastic ropes from unraveling when knots are unfeasible.

Your average CO/Headend/Data centre manager may frown upon this practice, given how sensitive the smoke detection systems are...

If you just use the proper tools and techniques in the FIRST place, it's a non-issue down the road...
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

said by LazMan:

Your average CO/Headend/Data centre manager may frown upon this practice, given how sensitive the smoke detection systems are...

He can turn on test mode in the control panel.