spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mattnews22
join:2008-07-16
Fairfield, TX

mattnews22

[Equipment] Setup Wizard again out of nowhere

This more of a polite inquiry than a real problem, but the strangest thing happened just now.

As I tried to follow a link on YouTube, it was coming back with errors and such. A few other links did the same.

I then logged into the modem (Sagemcom1704) and everything seemed peachy-keen. So I went to SpeedTest.net and after a few beats the Modem SetUp Wizard came up.

I filled it out and reconnected fine...I am just curious why this happened. I can think of a few things that it might be.
1. Hardware on the fritz (relatively new modem...doubtful)
2. WS updated the firmware remotely (near midnight not a horrible time to do such a thing, cant confirm as I dont know what it was on to begin with)
3. TermsOfService change that is being pushed through forcing you to setup and agree again.
4. Some other problem in the chain that required modems to re-establish connections

I am in Fairfield, TX to narrow it down.

I'm not freaking out or anything, just curious. I know there is a firmware update or two for the 1704 and that mine definitely did not have it. I mess with them a lot at work and know an update is required for them to behave in bridge mode. And the ToS thing makes a lot of sense too. Any insight?
mattnews22

mattnews22

Had a couple 4200's at 2 of our businesses do the same thing today, and behave as though they had been reset. These locations run in bridge mode with Sonicwall routers. One work fine after going into bridge mode. However, I could never get the other one to work in bridged. I let it handle the PPPOE and changed the router to DHCP and everything was kosher. Not the hugest deal, but felt it was noteworthy.

And on a related note, the service out this way has been getting crappier at times other than 'prime'. Its getting harder to be a cord cutter in the boonies.