share rss forum feed

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to vue666

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

said by vue666:

In my day the automatic downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear on the highway by depressing the gas pedal was called "passing gear"

quote:
Passing gear

An automatic transmission gear that shifts a vehicle into a lower gear for a short burst of extra power to pass other cars on the highway. The gear is engaged by sharply depressing the gas pedal. When the pedal is released, the vehicle returns to normal to normal driving gear.

»www.motorera.com/dictionary/pa.htm

I remember this!! As a younger person driving my parents 1992 Ford Tempo...I4....2.3L engine apparently with a WHOPPING 98hp!!! That would explain why when I pulled off this manuever on some road trips that the car didn't really speed up that much lol.

Anywho, that being said, nitz has jumped into the small car market with a 2008 VW City Jetta...I know I know, I have the MK4 with some hideous front end, but I like it...its spacious for a tall guy like me and gets way better gas mileage than my pig 2007 Ford Freestyle...and with some personal changes in my life I don't need the CUV type space anymore, as well I get to go back to $55-$60 fillups and get more distance out of that tank now than I did before filling up for $80+ and getting around 550-600km in the city.

Anywho, gas prices hover around 126.9 in these parts...

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by nitzguy:

I remember this!! As a younger person driving my parents 1992 Ford Tempo...I4....2.3L engine apparently with a WHOPPING 98hp!!! That would explain why when I pulled off this manuever on some road trips that the car didn't really speed up that much lol.

I had a 1992 Topaz with the 3L Vulcan V6. Being a light car to begin with, it went zoom a lot better when you floored it than the I4s did.