how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mich

join:2008-08-30
reply to ds5v50

Re: Hard drives or raid card? Update!

Of course ata2 is one of the HDDs, yet this still doesn't tell you what exactly is wrong.

If you are already looking for some reason to upgrade your HDDs and/or SATA controller, go ahead. However, your problem may likely be caused by bent cable (SATA hates this), connector going loose, RF interference or similar issues.

ds5v50

join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH
I have swapped out the cables. I have not seen the error yet. But the error is not a normal thing. I might go 2 weeks without seeing it. I have my fingers crossed that the cable swaps fix it. If not I'll just have to remedy the issue.

Thanks.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
I would strongly recommend doing what DeHackEd See Profile recommended (preferably with smartmontools 6.0, not something older, and using -x not -a). Getting SMART attributes from the drive will allow me to do a quick review/analysis of the drive and tell you what to look for.

If you're using the FastTrak 378's native RAID functionality, that may explain why you don't have a /dev/sdX entry for the drive (that controller is extremely old and probably doesn't offer passthrough capability, so you would have to pull the disk off the controller and hook it up to a non-RAID controller temporarily).

"Swapping cables" sometimes helps only temporarily, when there is things like dust/debris in the SATA connectors or bad plating contacts on the SATA data port connector on the drive PCB itself -- but that problem manifests itself in a specific way (in SMART), so you have to have familarity with how to read the attributes to know what the problem may be. I've seen people report cable-swapping "solves their problem!!!" only to see a follow-up a week later complaining that it's still happening, where the root cause turned out to be excessive interference/noise inside of a case combined with not-so-well-shielded cables.

--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.