share rss forum feed

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit
reply to Lurch77

Re: reset light

said by Lurch77:

Yes, if the problem is not corrected the light will return. If it has been corrected you can do what Beezel said. Or you can wait and the light will reset itself after a certain amount of time or engine starts. If you are in an area that does emission testing, be aware that some states will fail a vehicle if they see a resent reset. Most cars will store a code showing that the light was reset within the last 50 engine starts.

Yea I think a recent reset should not make a difference. If it is off and working normally when testing then it should be passed. Here in Vegas you only need for it to be off while testing.

But if it fails you have to have a "qualified" listed repair shop correct it. You aren't allowed to do it yourself. Which is BS, I am qualified to repair it myself but I have to have a certificate from the county licensing me. Just a way for the county to make money. I know my stuff will pass before I have to go in. Since I have the right equipment and knowledge to check it.

pmohr
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN
So your county doesn't fail for all of the readiness monitors showing incomplete on an OBD-II vehicle?

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to Beezel
said by Beezel:

Yea I think a recent reset should not make a difference. If it is off and working normally when testing then it should be passed. Here in Vegas you only need for it to be off while testing.

All the computer monitors need to be back online for a proper check. You cannot check the system if they are not. Some cars require a number of starts, some require run time or mileage for the computer to go through the entire check. If your locality just checks to see if the light is out, then they are not really doing a proper emission test. Most likely a way to get money instead. If you only need it to be off, disconnect the wire from the light and you are done.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
said by Lurch77:

said by Beezel:

All the computer monitors need to be back online for a proper check. You cannot check the system if they are not. Some cars require a number of starts, some require run time or mileage for the computer to go through the entire check. If your locality just checks to see if the light is out, then they are not really doing a proper emission test. Most likely a way to get money instead. If you only need it to be off, disconnect the wire from the light and you are done.

No they do the full computer check (ODB 2, and sniffer for other vehicles) even look under hood to make sure nothing has been tampered with. I am not talking about doing it in the parking lot before inspection. More like a couple days before with normal daily driving. Should have everything back and ready with light off. Not talking about what date and time the last reset was.