Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pfak

Re: Smoke-proofing and sound-proofing from neighbours in condo

Just WOW! Does that even meet fire code? I thought that a rated fire wall was required between units? Also thought Canada had a code for sound attenuation between units?

While the Low Voltage box may be letting smoke through, it is also very possible that other electrical boxes are leaking.

Another very common place for air leaks is the under the bottom 2x4 that supports the framing in the wall. This is laid and nailed down on plywood and is seldom sealed to the floor. Air can pass under this 2x4 very easily since it is a long run. It is one of the first places a home inspector looks when they do an energy audit with a blower door test. This can be sealed with a calk gun if you can get to the area. It may require lifting the carpet to get to the gap between the sheetrock and the flooring.

However if you want to really soundproof, you will need to remove the sheet rock, add studs on your side that are setback an inch or so from the neighbors wall to break the mechanical connection between you, calk the heck out of every place where sheetrock touches studs, add good soundproofing material, and then finish the wall on your side.

Not a really big job, but it will be messy.

Tim
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
said by pende_tim:

Just WOW! Does that even meet fire code? I thought that a rated fire wall was required between units? Also thought Canada had a code for sound attenuation between units?

While the Low Voltage box may be letting smoke through, it is also very possible that other electrical boxes are leaking.

There's an RJ11 jack and 2 power outlets on the wall. The 2 power outlets have metal boxes, but I can also detect leakage from the bottom by the molding. So I assume you're totally correct!

As for it being up to code, as far as I can tell it is -- since we have sprinklers, the drywall just needs to be rated for 30 minutes of fire.
--
The more I C, the less I see.