spc
uniqs

new user
@tmodns.net

new user to bds85466

Anon

to bds85466

Re: ZyXEL PK5001Z Modem dropping exactly every 15 minutes

This modem is a cheap product (made in China). I paid $40 for this version had the same problems you describe above, and CL told me they would charge $100 plus the service fee.

No thank you Century Link. I wen to T-Mobile and got a "hot spot" for far less than another modem from you.
bds85466
join:2012-11-17
Waconia, MN

bds85466

Well if it's a known problem with the router that they provide, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't replace it with a different one....

As for being a cheap product, you may be right, but I'm not sure if it's the hardware construction so much as the firmware. Where was that made?

Another thing I noticed while tooling around in the firmware is the IPv4 timer resets at exactly 15 minutes.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Take a look at the board and and see the number of folks who have issues with the ZyXEL PK5001Z.

Swap it out for another one and I'll bet your problem is history.
bds85466
Waconia, MN

bds85466

Thanks for the response.

Yes I was noticing that.

Will CL comply with a modem change out request?

Should I try to get a new model all together or simply a new PK5001Z?

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Get another vendor besides ZyXEL.

I have seen a mixed bag with CL on MODEM swaps. Tell them your issue and say it is a MODEM problem. See what they say.
bds85466
Waconia, MN

bds85466

Thanks for the advice.

If they won't, I suppose I could purchase one and prove it to be the modem -- and return it.
bds85466

bds85466 to Irish Shark

to Irish Shark
I've been bopping around in the ZyXEL hardware forum looking for answers to this problem.

I think that before I try the new modem angle, I may see what happens when I set the modem to a static IP address (though I'm not sure how to do this yet).

My logic is, it appears that the modem is going out and requesting to the DHCP server every 15 minutes or so. The DHCP server is what dictates the lease duration time, but I don't know if there's any way to know if it's giving it a 15 minute lease, or if my modem simply requests a new one every 15 minutes.

I'm wondering if setting the modem to a static IP versus dynamic would shut down this routine?...

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

• Renewing a DHCP lease will not cause the line to drop.

• If what it is doing is a release & renew, then yes the line will drop.

• You can see what the lease time is by doing an ipconfig /all

• Look at your system logs and it should tell you which one it is doing.
bds85466
Waconia, MN

2 edits

bds85466

said by Irish Shark:

• You can see what the lease time is by doing an ipconfig /all

Thanks for the advice. Could you please elaborate on how to perform this?

Go to the c prompt and:

C:>ipconfig /all

???