spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tscs000
join:2012-10-11
New London, OH

tscs000

[DSL] Comtrend 5631 Bonded DSL

This modem/router seems to have trouble providing consistent internet access and gets "bogged down", plus the wifi signal is pretty weak. I was looking for instructions on how to config this router so that it basically passes traffic onto a 2nd router which puts out a much better wifi signal. I put the router in bridged mode and successfully connected to the internet through the 2nd router, but download speeds were cut in half.
NekoSaur
join:2011-08-03
Jackson, MI

NekoSaur

I had the same issue with this modem when I had It set up. Terrible speeds on wifi, congested traffic, slow pings, etc. I decided within a day to turn on bridge mode and pass the raw traffic to my Apple AirPort Extreme. I saw speed increases immediately, but also noticed certain web traffic was taking way, way too long.

After troubleshooting for a few days I ended up choosing the default DNS addresses supplied from the Frontier modem (these are passed through the line from the DSLAM equiptment on the road I believe.)

Amazing difference in speed. I was able to connect and download at a solid 12Mbps on several sites.

Long story short - you probably are using Google DNS, OpenDNS or some other "enhanced" DNS servers. They don't seem to play well with Frontier. Change all of the DNS settings to default on your 2nd router and on your local devices if necessary. This worked for me.
tscs000
join:2012-10-11
New London, OH

tscs000

NekoSaur, thanks for your reply. I do believe the 2nd router is using OpenDNS. I'll try the default DNS provided by Frontier and see how it runs.

Thanks again

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to NekoSaur

MVM

to NekoSaur
Interesting that you say that. I use Level3 DNS on my Frontier connection and despite the fact that the service is sending all of that data to Ashburn, VA I do get better response and performance overall from the non-Frontier DNS.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Same here, better performance and response from off Frontier network DNS.
gonewthedsm
join:2009-12-07
Bruceton Mills, WV

gonewthedsm to tscs000

to tscs000
I am interested in trying this as during the afternoon and evening hours I see high ping times and slow connection speeds. How do you find other DNS to enter into the modem?

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

There's a "rule of thumb" list I keep handy of:

Those are Level3 and Google DNS. Easiest to remember and are pretty reliable.
gonewthedsm
join:2009-12-07
Bruceton Mills, WV

gonewthedsm

Smith, Thank you. Will I see less of a slow down with these DNS over the Frontier?

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

I've not had a problem with them. If your problem is with congestion locally and not due to DNS then changing DNS servers won't really help too much. It's worth a shot though!