sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

recently purchased used car, less maintenance records

2001 Nissan Maxima SE. Pretty clean, with 125K miles. Replaced an air filter ('cause I could), and had the oil changed. Went with the fossil type, mainly due to a total lack of *any* kind of documentation on what was done and when. Bought a new battery as well.

With the background of the total lack of knowledge regarding prior maintenance, my question, with apologies in advance for stirring up any kind of controversy, is what are the recommendations for the automatic transmission.

Is there a way to determine what (if any) preventive maintenance had been done on it already?

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
One thing I would check are the date codes on the tires. If they are more than 6 years old, I'd change them, as they may not be in the best structural integrity shape.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by Gordo74:

One thing I would check are the date codes on the tires. If they are more than 6 years old, I'd change them, as they may not be in the best structural integrity shape.

That really is not a big issue (blown way out of reality) and completely fails to answer the OP's transmission question.

OP change the Fluid and Filter (if used) and then again at another 60K to 100K (verify fluid type and change interval in the Owners Manual).
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
reply to sfogliatelle
I'd change the fluid. It most likely has never been changed before.

wishera

join:2000-12-12
Everett, WA
reply to sfogliatelle
you might check with your local Nissan dealer to see if there is a service history based on the VIN. It is probably due for a new timing chain at that mileage.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by wishera:

you might check with your local Nissan dealer to see if there is a service history based on the VIN. It is probably due for a new timing chain at that mileage.

Timing belt yes as they are 60K to 100K wear items, but a timing chain at 125K is incorrect, not even near time for repair as they are designed to go twice to three times that mileage.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Gordo74
After looking at cars for the better part of two weeks, I was pleasantly surprised to not only find all four tires on the '01 Maxima I bought of the same brand/model, but with about 40K miles left of treadwear on them. Relatively new semi-name brand touring radials which can't be more than a year old.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to wishera
Good idea about checking with the dealer on any service advisories, etc., wishera See Profile. Thanks!

Not to sound contradictory, and I might be mistaken, but I think Nissan Maxima timing chains are made to last longer than 125K.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to sfogliatelle
Did the car at least come with the owners manual? (It's stupid that dealers often throw them away when "cleaning" a used car. Ugh!) If so, that should list a recommended mileage for servicing the trans. On my '05 Honda, I was surprised to find that they don't recommend an ATF change until 110K miles.

One other thing to check is the coolant hoses. If they're original then I'd recommend to change them. When a hose splits open then you're likely to be stranded somewhere on the side of the road. (And it always seems to happen on the most miserably hot summer day). You can typically replace the rad and heater hoses for $50 or so if you DIY. I look at it as cheap peace of mind.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
There was an owner's manual in an original black Nissan vinyl binder in the glove box. Based on the one I'd had in an Amazon shopping cart that's a $25 + S&H savings!

What surprised me was that there wasn't even a window decal indicating a previous oil change.

I plan on getting all the belts and hoses looked at and replaced if necessary. An ounce of prevention.

What I'm unsure of is all I'd heard about transmissions: with 125K on the odometer and no indicators of what had been done and when, I keep remembering the old wives tale about not stirring up a potential hornet's nest by messing with the filter and fluid if it hadn't been done (or documented) before.

All of the above with expedient timeliness. I just noticed the Service Engine light is now lit. Got my fingers crossed!

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

said by Gordo74:

That really is not a big issue (blown way out of reality) and completely fails to answer the OP's transmission question.

OP change the Fluid and Filter (if used) and then again at another 60K to 100K (verify fluid type and change interval in the Owners Manual).

Funny... I seem to see there being one more question at the end of the post

quote:
Is there a way to determine what (if any) preventive maintenance had been done on it already?
To the OP, I am glad you checked. I have personally seen tires be in pretty bad shape from age on used cars

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to sfogliatelle
Speaking of the belt... When I install a new belt, I like to keep the old one in the vehicle somewhere as an emergency spare. I've had fairly new belts shred without warning and having a spare under the seat (and a few tools) meant that I was only inconvenienced for a few minutes. (I also now pay a few bucks extra for a brand name belt, like Goodyear or Gates.)

wishera

join:2000-12-12
Everett, WA
reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds See Profile
Timing belt yes as they are 60K to 100K wear items, but a timing chain at 125K is incorrect, not even near time for repair as they are designed to go twice to three times that mileage.

:

Doh! My brain was thinking one thing, and my fingers were typing another. lol

Although if you are going to have to change any of the more common wear items like tensioners, water pump, etc, you might as well do the chain too, but you are right, who knows when that will be..
--
Douglas Adams: "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

pmohr
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN
reply to sfogliatelle
Only thing I'd like to add is that I'd recommend using actual Nissan Matic-D in that trans (which I believe has been superceded to Matic-S now). They're decently reliable with good fluid and a clean filter.

If you do have it serviced, note that they don't have a conventional 'filter', it's just a mesh screen; no need to be replaced unless it's damaged, just needs to be sprayed off.

There is no interval for the timing chain, they fail extremely rarely. I've got two VQs, one at ~330k and another at ~260k both with OE timing sets. You may get some timing chain noise from a bad tensioner, but that's a quick and easy replacement.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sfogliatelle
Here is what I did in a similar situation.

This is a few years back but bought a 2002 F150 around this time of the year in 2008, with 107k miles. Of course no service documentation, other than a Carfax supplied by the Dealer. Carfax pretty much supported it being a 1 owner vehicle. But it did have the Owner's Manual.

1st - took it to my Mechanic for a quick looksee. Based on his recommendations completed transaction, as Dealer was selling it for much less than comparable vehicles.

2nd - When had more time, took it back to my Mechanic and paid for an extensive inspection of all components. He charged around $100 for that. From that report developed my priority of items that needed maintenance soon and those for future repairs [tires, brakes, shocks, etc.].

Also went to Ford and was able to get the build sheet, but no maintenance records from them. Build sheet was useful as to all the options that can be thrown on a PU.

So far, 4 years,and 36k later, there have been no surprises.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to Gordo74
said by Gordo74:

To the OP, I am glad you checked. I have personally seen tires be in pretty bad shape from age on used cars

or those shady lots that hide an abused car with 45$ chinese tires with names like "goodride"

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
One of the few cars on those lots I walked which was marginally acceptable had a set of tires that had DEFinitely seen better days. One in particular, on the front passenger side, had the plies of the belt visible. On remarking on the condition of it the salesman promised that it would be replaced.