Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

pnh102

Premium Member

Ugh The Whining

quote:
The photo to the right shows the copper feeders just chopped off and capped, raising questions on how this impacts any CLECs that may have been using that infrastructure for access.
People whine and complain about Verizon NOT replacing copper with something better... and when they do... they complain about these lamer CLECs who never built out their own network in the first place?

Sucks to be them. Shrug.

Alex J
@sunwave.com.br

Alex J

Anon

Who's whining? I'd like to know what happens to those CLECs? Verizon doesn't share access to FiOS facilities as far as I know. What happens to the existing business relationships with CLECs?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

said by Alex J :

Who's whining? I'd like to know what happens to those CLECs? Verizon doesn't share access to FiOS facilities as far as I know. What happens to the existing business relationships with CLECs?

I wouldn't be surprised if the contracts have some clause that lets VZ say "too bad" in case of plant destruction or other "conditions beyond [their] control."
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to pnh102

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

quote:
The photo to the right shows the copper feeders just chopped off and capped, raising questions on how this impacts any CLECs that may have been using that infrastructure for access.
People whine and complain about Verizon NOT replacing copper with something better... and when they do... they complain about these lamer CLECs who never built out their own network in the first place?

Sucks to be them. Shrug.

You do realize that version used federal money to build the network in the first place right? So I bet replacing the copper lines with fiber would still have the same strings attached. Since they would be replacing the federal governments lines.

Alex J
@secureserver.net

Alex J

Anon

So I bet replacing the copper lines with fiber would still have the same strings attached. Since they would be replacing the federal governments lines.

Verizon has spent years gutting any sharing regulations, so are you sure about this?

davoice
join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

1 recommendation

davoice to Alex J

to Alex J
Verizon does offer wholesale access to FiOS on an unregulated "competitive basis". I have clients on connections using it. Problem is Verizon charges a butt load to the CLEC for the cross connect (i.e. more than a residential customer pays for their whole FiOS bill!). There's also a new group inside Verizon that's working just on FiOS wholesale. So hopefully things will get better quickly as CLECs in NY want to sell it (or have to sell it to keep their customer).

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to pnh102

to pnh102
You mean CLECs that don't have super deep pockets to fight the ILECs that continually try and crush them via the FCC and their deep pocket campaign contributions?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to majortom1029

MVM

to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

You do realize that version used federal money to build the network in the first place right?

As in money transferred from the Treasury? I don't think so. I am aware that the ILECs got significant tax breaks; but until the money is in Federal hands, it isn't "Federal Money".

anonanon
@cloud9.net

anonanon to davoice

Anon

to davoice
said by davoice:

Verizon does offer wholesale access to FiOS on an unregulated "competitive basis". I have clients on connections using it.

This was discontinued around 2007 and isn't coming back. There are rumors of Verizon Business offering enterprise metro Ethernet over the FIOS plant (not using FIOS electronics, just the cables) but no concrete plans. And that is just for Ethernet, not T1, DSL, or anything like what CLECs generally do with copper now.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

The Ethernet Wholesale was added to the Wholesale Group at the end of last week. But it's not ready to go yet.

And that is true, CLECs are not given access to FiOS nor are other ISPs.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to majortom1029

to majortom1029
Not totally true. As I pointed out before, AT&T under Ed in the Ameritech region did just that in some areas under Project Lighspeed to test FTTH. The copper is GONE and no CLECs nor other ISPs are allowed on it. You get FTTH U-Verse at U-Verse VDSL speeds and that's it. No other options available unless you want to pay a CLEC to build out a T1 for you, which is not really an option with cost. Monroe County Michigan is one area that has FTTH that was gutted copper, and Wisconsin has a couple as well. The pilot wasn't expanded very far.