All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« baloneyInsurance Money »
This is a sub-selection from Conspiracy?

Alex J

@sunwave.com.br
reply to cdru

Re: Conspiracy?

It doesn't claim conspiracy. It simply asks what happens to the CLECs who shared that infrastructure, which is a legitimate question. Do you have the answer?

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Equipment maybe. These are access trunks. It doesn't change out the POP and VZ still has contracts with CLECs. The DSL DSLAMs are still owned by Verizon, and they will need to replace if they are damaged.

I don't know what VZ runs in NYC (probably ATM), so they just upgrade the line cards to optical.

What happened to Earthlink when Time Warner moved to HFC? Nothing, except better speeds and quality.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
quote:
Equipment maybe. These are access trunks. It doesn't change out the POP and VZ still has contracts with CLECs. The DSL DSLAMs are still owned by Verizon, and they will need to replace if they are damaged.

The DSLAMS are not being repaired in NY. The Verizon customers are being migrated to FIOS instead.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Alex J
said by Alex J :

It doesn't claim conspiracy. It simply asks what happens to the CLECs who shared that infrastructure, which is a legitimate question. Do you have the answer?

It was a joke, hence the fine print comment about my tin foil hat. That is, unless you really think Verizon has that much clout that it can conjurer up a hurricane.

Alex J

@speakeasy.net
reply to CXM_Splicer
Thanks for the info. So, yes, there are real questions to be asked here about what happens next for CLECs. Readers yelling that asking a question about this is "conspiracy" apparently need hobbies.

Alex J

@secureserver.net
reply to cdru
In other words, you don't know.

Suggesting someone's claiming conspiracy by simply asking what happens now to CLECs doesn't seem like a joke, it seems like you were just being a jerk. Nobody thinks Verizon conjured a hurricane. But they do have an undisputed track record of crushing CLECs, so I'm curious what happens to companies riding that copper now? Are they SOL?

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to elefante72
said by elefante72:

Verizon doesn't own CLEC DSLAMs. Earthlink is a good example - Earthlink resells both CLEC DSL via Covad, and ILEC DSL using Verizon's DSLAMs. Verizon can figure out some sort of fiber fed solution for customers on their own DSLAMs, but what will happen to Covad's lines?
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY
reply to CXM_Splicer
Just curious...what if a building landlord refuses to allow Verizon to install FiOS in their building? Do the tenants have any recourse?

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC

1 edit
Not really, no. It is common for owners of large buildings to be approached by Time Warner who gets an exclusivity contract in exchange for $$$. Unfortunately, you are at the mercy of the building owner.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to bhan261
No. Landlords can pretty much say who can and can't enter their buildings. I

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to djrobx
"Verizon doesn't own CLEC DSLAMs" no but they own the last mile copper that runs from the CO to the Customer. It's this copper that's being cut that's in question.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to djrobx
Actually its MegaPath right now and to answer the question on what they are doing. Karl should contact them. My company represents MegaPath and I will contact the PR department and find out. Currently we're being told they're repairing and bringing on lines as power comes back on in commercial buildings. Nothing has been said about copper being cut.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to djrobx
I'm assuming that the CLECs get fibre line cards if fibre routes to the DSLAM. Or if it's a ring, maybe nothing. Good points though...

I was also reading that on the VZ owned side they are just pulling fiber to the prem and converting to FIOS.

That can be a problem if the existing customer is contract DSL, but OMG I'm sure if I were getting FIOS, I'd be happy. Of course this comes at a premium price, but that part of town definately is not the low rent district so I'm sure uptake rate will be acceptable.

Nobody has mentioned how cable (TWC) is operating in this situation.
Any news? I don't know how much HFC they have in lower Manhattan.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to bhan261
said by bhan261:

Just curious...what if a building landlord refuses to allow Verizon to install FiOS in their building? Do the tenants have any recourse?

What Verizon needs to do is what AT&T does in my area. AT&T runs fiber out of their switch to area "hubs/nodes" which then run POTS copper for the "last mile". They run POTS, ADSL, and VDSL on these.

This would save Verizon a lot of time as they would not have to replace all the good copper just before and inside buildings.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified