how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

Hey

What I don't get is why are the capping the copper stubs. I would think they would of drug out the cable and slid fiber back in the same hole. Plus gotten some scrap value in the copper to help deal with helping CLECs get back up, since this is clearly outside VZs control what happened. I'd like to know why they are leaving that copper behind vs scrapping it.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

If it's profitable to extract it, they will. If not, it makes sense to leave it. I know that seems messy and wasteful but customers certainly don't want to pay to extract it unless it's necessary or profitable.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

Well the assumption on here is that whatever costs they are incurring is being covered by insurance or some government assistance. I would just think it would make sense that once whatever facilities that cable pair was switched over to, that copper then gets yanked out to be scrapped, freeing up more space that could then let the CLECs run their own fiber, since I get the impression the FCC might make VZ either install fiber to restore the CLECs or put new copper for the CLECs once enough CLECs start bitchin about VZ abandoning the copper and moving it all to fiber.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Will insurance pay for removing it if it's not required to repair it? I agree if to run fiber, copper must be removed. However, fiber will require a lot less room than copper. That means they won't need to remove all of it. Insurance is only going to fund what's necessary to restore service.

It really depends on how much effort is required to remove it. If it's relatively easy to pull out of the existing conduits (i.e. the insulation has not swelled with moisture and made it impossible to remove), they probably will.

As an example, I've owned two different houses and at each the cable company ran a new drop. They didn't bother to remove the old one because it would have been a PITA, damaged the lawn and most definitely had a negative return.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
reply to OSUGoose

Yes they will eventually want the conduit space, but leaving the cable in place prevents it from collapsing /being crushed by other work or "accidentally" being connected to a water/waste line.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
reply to OSUGoose

dup post