join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

[Business] Main electric being changed to underground conduit ..

My main electric supply will be switched in the near future, from overhead wires (200 amp) to underground conduit (400 amp). A spare conduit for the electric utility has been run, and a conduit for Comcast and AT&T have also been run (we don't use AT&T, but ran conduit as one day someone else may own this home and want their service).

Anyway, with respect to Comcast, as the meter is moving, and we have inspected and approved (by our town) conduit, after the new meter is energized, do I call Comcast? Is there a charge for them to run the new cable? Should I just snake and run new cable myself?
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

Re: [Business] Main electric being changed to underground condui

Just as an after thought, did you run a conduit for Comcast and a conduit for AT&T? I have heard many times in the past that they will not use the same conduit for their cables.

I know it wasn't what you were asking but just thought I would throw it in there for future consideration.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by ropeguru:

Just as an after thought, did you run a conduit for Comcast and a conduit for AT&T? I have heard many times in the past that they will not use the same conduit for their cables.

I know it wasn't what you were asking but just thought I would throw it in there for future consideration.

Four conduit lines were run, 1 for the electric utility, a recommended spare for the electric utility (as it will be under an 85 foot long paved driveway) and 2 conduits, one for Comcast one for AT&T.

We haven't used AT&T in years, but will likely contact them to assure that service is continued to the home, though we won't be using it. As for Comcast, I'm uncertain what the process is to switch from overhead to conduit cable.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

flwpwr

@comcast.net

Call 1-800-COMCAST, tell them your utilities have been moved to underground and you need them to move their drop, and that's conduit already exists. They will send someone out and you can take it from there, as long as the cable runs to the same general location it did before for the power meter area , its a simple switch. If you moved where the power meter is on the house then you have a more complex task ahead. Also, one that will likley require you paying to move the point of distribution.

IE if it used to be on the garage side of the house and it stayed going to the garage side of the house [maybe a few foot of change, but nothing that could not be covered by placement of ground block where it comes up and a feet feet of cable from the ground block to .the splitter then its going to be pretty simple. IF, however, you moved it to another location like around to the back door or to a detached garage instead of the one that is part of the house, you made things a whole lot more complex, and you can expect to pay to cover the new requirements of providing service to your house.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to pandora

You said the meter is moving... how far from current location to new location?
Typically Comcast is going to want to bond to power. So if Comcast comes and replaces the overhead with an underground drop, they are going to want to ground it at the meters location. What also may have to move is where the cable currently enters the home. A line may need to be run from the new meter location to where the line entered before.
Assuming the the conduit was run smartly, and assuming that the tap is located at the same pole as where your conduit terminates it should be an easy switch.
I wouldnt expect there to be a charge for a new drop. Comcast typically handles that as their responsibility. If a tree or storm took down the drop, they would replace it at no charge. If your drop was damaged or removed somehow when poco does their work the new drop should be free.

Without seeing it, and assuming everything goes easy, it should be pretty easy swap.

^^^^^^ what he said... someone is a faster typer

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to pandora

Question, did you leave a pull rope in each unused conduit?

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by jack b:

Question, did you leave a pull rope in each unused conduit?

I don't think so. The conduit was run by my electrician and approved by the town. My understanding is next Tuesday (a week from today) the new electric cable will be run by the utility to a new meter and my 400 amp conduit service will replace my current 200 amp wires in the air service.

I guess after that, I'll call Comcast. The old meter, service, eventually the old circuit breaker panels are all going. The electrician has set up a high voltage and low voltage area in the back wall of my garage. My understanding is he'll handle all internal distribution of low voltage (Comcast and what not). Another electrician is handling other low voltage (various alarm and monitoring systems).
--

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod

If there is no pull rope, don't count on the utility to deploy one. There is a chance they'll walk away if there isn't a suitable rope to use. Better check on that!

Cable can't be pushed very far down a duct, certainly not 85 feet.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

Lino

@cox.net

Nothing a fishtape, vacuum (providing no cracks!), or compressed air couldn't fix

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod

I know several tried and true ways of getting a pull rope down through a pipe, the 64-dollar question is: will the utility do it?
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
reply to pandora

From the point of view of an AT&T (now retired) foreman, if there is customer owned conduit, the customer must also provide a pull string/rope for use in pulling the new drop, or cable. Essentially, if there was no pull rope, then no installation.

The normal installation technician does not have the equipment (vacuum, or air compressor to install a pull string/rope.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

I know what you are saying as I had 37 years with Bell/AT&T both craft and management, but I think it depends on the situation and location.
In craft I always carried 2 100 foot fish tapes. When in management I required all techs to do the same. We were being paid by the hour so it didn't really matter we were doing, plus it was good PR.
A 85 foot run is nothing unless you get some knuckle head electrician that puts in 90s instead of sweeps.

Austinloop

Austin, TX

I would agree with the use of fish tapes when the technician is doing time and materials work, however, a new install is not a time and materials job.

With the current environment of "numbers", no installer is going to make his numbers using fish tapes, etc. In all likelihood, the install will be jeopardied to the customer, and the installer will move on to the next job.

I am not saying this is right, that is just the way it is today.

Wayne99021
Premium
Mead, WA

I agree. Things have changed since retiring in 2003.

Austinloop

Austin, TX

You beat me out the door by 4 years. I left in June 2007.

As one of my previous bosses said, you left at the right time. I still keep in touch with a couple of managers and a couple of my techs who are still working and they agreed that I am not missing anything.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to Wayne99021

said by Wayne99021:

A 85 foot run is nothing unless you get some knuckle head electrician that puts in 90s instead of sweeps.

So true, also the idiot who pours a ton of concrete on the conduit and bends/pinches it flat.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to pandora

Comcast won't do it without a pull rope/string/tape/etc.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

Make that comcast wont do it in your area. Pretty routine for comcast to do it around here. No need for a pull string around here.

beachintech
Premium

said by rody_44:

Make that comcast wont do it in your area. Pretty routine for comcast to do it around here. No need for a pull string around here.

You must be in the only area that does.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

ski93

join:2005-02-14
Northwood, NH
reply to pandora

Once the conduit is buried and local inspector has approved it's installation, use your shop vac to suck through bailing twine or heavy duty string or rope..You never know what tech you will get on installation day, the guy who will be helpful or the guy who's a douche and won't do shit...So don't chance it...Call Comcast and simply tell them you want to schedule a DROP WORK/ SRO (service request order) That costs you nothing...Not a relocate / re-install drop, they will charge 49.99 if you use those terms...If they ask why you need the drop replaced, make something up, like a tree came down on the drop and your services have been effected..Use your imagination...lol
Push for a time frame and not an open ended order..That way you know it will not get pushed off by any tech that ends up with the job..When he arrives offer to help pull the cable through the pipe , this keeps the installer in a good mood and he wont change the order to a chargible call on you...
Let Comcast provide the coaxial cable, because they will use if they do it correctly armor plated or plenum underground cable...If coaxial drop is under 125 feet RG-6u will be fine...Anything over that urge the tech to use rg-11u just to make sure signal is not marginal...Every Comcast region is different when it comes to signal out of the tap at the street..You follow these steps and you will make the installation process smooth...Post your results let us all know how it goes...

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to beachintech

So beach what does comcast do in your area if a house was built and only has conduit? I can see a inhouse tech refusing to do it but really comcast has construction and surely doesnt just abandon the conduit. Lets go one step further and say nothing was ever placed on a existing house. Its not like comcast can require a sub to run his own underground. FWIW Ive literly done thousands of underground pulls for comcast in no less than 12 different comcast systems. So it surely isnt the only one. Underground pulls pay by the foot. No way i walk away from that for a string which takes no more than ten minutes to suck thru.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to ski93

said by ski93:

Call Comcast and simply tell them you want to schedule a DROP WORK/ SRO (service request order) That costs you nothing...Not a relocate / re-install drop, they will charge 49.99 if you use those terms...If they ask why you need the drop replaced, make something up, like a tree came down on the drop and your services have been effected..Use your imagination...lol

This is a prime example of why so many service providers have an adversarial attitude toward their customers.

said by ski93:

When he arrives offer to help pull the cable through the pipe , this keeps the installer in a good mood and he wont change the order to a chargible call on you...

Of course, if you hadn't lied to him in the first place, the installer might not be in a bad mood.

said by ski93:

Let Comcast provide the coaxial cable, because they will use if they do it correctly armor plated or plenum underground cable...If coaxial drop is under 125 feet RG-6u will be fine...Anything over that urge the tech to use rg-11u just to make sure signal is not marginal...

Just what every tech loves...a customer who tries to tell him how to do his job.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

Not to mention does anyone actually use armour plated cable anymore. Armour plated is crap and plenum WTF would you need plenum cable in conduit for? Do they even make underground plenum cable? Armour plated was for direct bury and sucks.

Wayne99021
Premium
Mead, WA

My thought exactly about the plenum cable.
I have used miles of that stuff all in air return ceilings, but damn sure not in a conduit.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to jack b

From experience time and time again Comcast will probably do it with a little bitching. AT&T will cite some union rule and walk away.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Austinloop

Austin, TX

It isn't a union rule that AT&T will cite, it is company policy.

battleop

It's what ever it takes to get out of doing the job at hand... I had one 3 weeks ago that refused to pull fiber through a 40' conduit because it didn't have mule tape in the conduit. I've also had them refuse a pull because a ground was not in place yet. Our LATA has some (not all) techs that do what it takes to get out of work.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Austinloop

Austin, TX

Just for your information, when the initial site visit is made with engineering and construction folks with the people that ordered the service, the customer is told that the pull string must be in place for the work to be completed.

You LATA has some technicians that are flirting with their jobs, or at least discipline. Should a supervisor catch them not following policy, they could get into trouble.

As for the ground, again that is covered on the initial (or should be) site visit. At least it was when I was the fiber equipment installation foreman. No ground, no installation.

battleop

I've done a few dozen metro E circuits this year and maybe 3 of them have been grounded when a ground was provided. Half the time the BIC Engineer will visit the site and completely ignore the notes that say to contact me or my office prior to the visit so we rarely get to meet with the BIC.
--

beachintech
Premium

1 edit
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

So beach what does comcast do in your area if a house was built and only has conduit? I can see a inhouse tech refusing to do it but really comcast has construction and surely doesnt just abandon the conduit. Lets go one step further and say nothing was ever placed on a existing house. Its not like comcast can require a sub to run his own underground. FWIW Ive literly done thousands of underground pulls for comcast in no less than 12 different comcast systems. So it surely isnt the only one. Underground pulls pay by the foot. No way i walk away from that for a string which takes no more than ten minutes to suck thru.

*Big note: You are a contractor correct? You have no idea what comcast's actual tech policies are.

The few we had where conduit was present, the builders were smart enough to leave strings / mule tape in there for us. Otherwise, we leave a temp on the ground and our contractor either burries it or uses the conduit, whatever they have time for.

My advice, leave a pull string. Tech's don't get time allotted on a new install or service call to be messing around with empty conduit.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.