join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

1 edit

dellsweig to itguy05

MVM

to itguy05

Re: Win8 - Disappointing usability

said by itguy05:

Makes sense to me - the Windows 8 UI is horrible from a usability perspective. Garish colors, over the top huge fonts, a dual environment that look nothing like each other. It's a really BAD paradigm that is not good or easy to use.

Take live tiles. Sounds great but what happens when you want to see what you missed? Oops, you can't scroll that. What happens if you don't want to be distracted by things scrolling (think Facebook updates), oops, can't disable that.

I did notice a lot of PC laptop returns at Best Buy the other day. Hopefully consumers are realizing that this new Windows is really really bad.

I would suggest a Mac to your friend. Not the cheapest but competitive and the OS is actually easy to use and IMHO you can be more productive on OS X than Windows (any version).

Just heard back from my friend - she said there were at least 6 pther returns being handled by the BB sales folks for windows 8 laptops. Once she got done with the return the sale guy told her they are getting close to 60% ( 6 out of 10 are coming back BECAUSE of windows 8) returns on windows 8.

She ended up with a MacBook Air - good choice. The best buy guy set it all up for her.....

It isnt just Best Buy..

»www.engadget.com/2012/11 ··· es-OEMs/

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur

Premium Member

A few returns do not a trend make, especially when the price premium for Apple is 30-50% more than Windows. It's a lot of extra money to pay for being unable or unwilling to spend 15 minutes learning a few mouse clicks or keyboard shortcuts on Windows 8.

Given Apple's 7% global market share for desktops, most people aren't going to flock to OS X and its variants.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by digitalfutur:

A few returns do not a trend make, especially when the price premium for Apple is 30-50% more than Windows. It's a lot of extra money to pay for being unable or unwilling to spend 15 minutes learning a few mouse clicks or keyboard shortcuts on Windows 8.

Given Apple's 7% global market share for desktops, most people aren't going to flock to OS X and its variants.

1st off the price "premium" for a Mac is not 30-50%. The issue is Apple doesn't compete in the bargain basement space. And that's a good thing as the sub $700 machines are generally crap. And if you have not noticed, Apple's market share of the PC pie is slowly climbing, so they are doing something right. In fact it has been climbing for years now.

2nd, it's more than a couple mouse clicks. Imagine if you got into your car this morning and your steering wheel was in the passenger side, your key went in the glove box, the radio was in the console, etc. That's what MS has done with Windows 8. It's not a simple change, like from Office 2007 to 2010 but a radical and poor change. Things need to make sense and few things in Windows 8 make sense. Change for change's sake is not progress.

3rd, the great thing is with iOS, Android, and OS X people now feel they have a good alternative to Microsoft and Windows. And that is bad for MS as typically once people have an alternative to MS they don't buy MS any more.
Expand your moderator at work
itguy05

itguy05

said by 67845017:

I thought Apple wasn't about the stats?

It's not but when you throw the price premium BS around you need to compare similar machines.

It's why a Camry is less expensive than a Lexus GS even though they are the same basic car underneath.

Or why everyone doesn't buy $10k Nissan Versas. After all every car on the road gets you from point A to B. I wouldn't compare a Versa to a Mustang so you shouldn't do the same with computers.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

Developers aren't either. Microsoft is even giving cash prize drawings for those who will submit apps for it.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by itguy05:

For me the higher res screen, gigabit, and better life more than make up for more $$.

• I actually prefer the lower res screen
• The Toshiba has NVIDIA graphics available for a few hundred bucks extra (the HD 4000 graphics will be fine and generate less heat)
• The Intel chipset has gigabit so it might have that and the specs are wrong (I always use wireless so I don't care)
• Bigger batteries are available (I always have it plugged in so I don't care)
• As far has build quality is concerned, my old Toshiba laptop is 7 years old and still working. A co-worker has a Macbook and he said his case cracked easily.

So you can get these upgrades from Toshiba and still have enough money left over to buy a second laptop.