Click for full size
Canon PowerShot G3
28mm 1/125th F3

Original
Click for full size
Canon PowerShot G3
28mm 1/125th F3

Modified
Here is an image that used the lens blur function in Photoshop. The first shows the original and the second the modified version. I'm not sure I'm there yet but still trying.

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2
I am not sure where you wanted this thread to go. Your title suggests you are interested in other input other than just learning how to blur a photo. We can and do use blur in different ways, sometimes just for fun, and I do that once in a while. I think the best use of blur is to get rid of a distracting background or things that do not fit in the overall story. Just blurring an image just because doesn’t always make a photo better. The last image you posted, the lily is the brightest and has the most contrast, so we instantly know it is the subject. The lily pads and water are all part of the story, I don’t see a necessary need to blur the photo.

I used blur in the popcorn ball photo to keep the canisters from taking over the photo, they are a lighter color than the popcorn balls. The photo I just posted in the gallery is blurred to give me a place to put the message.

What are your reasons for blur?

Premium
join:2005-03-29
kudos:3
I think I've already answered your question. Sometimes I would like to emulate fast lenses and since I don't have any for my DSLR I'm trying to do it via software. The aim is to try to make some images have shallow DOF and hopefully some bokeh as well. It's really more than just blur, since the process allows for blur gradients, number of aperture blades etc, which I've tried to do in the images I 've posted.
Your Thanksgiving image is OK, but to my eyes doesn't really look like shallow DOF and good bokeh. All that sharp foreground is just distracting.

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2

1 recommendation

The photo I posted in the gallery is not a special photo, it is just a photo to put a message on and that is the reason for the blur. The room to play with is only a few inches, so of course you won't have the blur that you would have with lots of space behind the subject. My point is that I think one should have a reason to use blur, neither image that you have posted here need blur.

Premium
join:2005-03-29
kudos:3
Actually I think that both images are better for the blur, but, like all things, each to his own. Happy Thanksgiving!