uniqs
share rss forum feed

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

[iPhone] Downgrade iOS

Someone in a business forum I follow posted the following question. I tried Googling it and didn't find anything short of jailbreaking. I suggested she tried a hard reboot of the iPhone. Any ideas?

How can I downgrade my iPhone, back to iOS 6.0, or, even better, back to iOS 5?

Ever since I upgraded my 4S to the 6.0.1, I've been unable to send docs/pics from my iPhone. My boss & one of my other execs is having the same problem.

So I want to downgrade the iOS & see if things go back to working. If so, easy fix (although, annoying). If not, at least I tried.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net

Once Apple closes the signing window for previous versions of iOS, you cannot install them because they can't be authenticated. The 6.0 signing window is closed, so 6.0.1 is the only one that can currently be installed.

I recommend the original poster back in the business forum head to an apple store to get it checked out.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH

Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm sure she doesn't want to try jailbreaking, so I'll suggest a trip to the Apple store. She's in NYC, so she's got a few options.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

The first thing the store will most likely do is a reset/restore (to iOS 6.0.1) -- she can do this at home herself and see if that helps before making a trip to the store.

This articles pretty much covers what the Apple Genius person will do:

»support.apple.com/kb/HT1414
--
♬ Music is life ♬

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH

She's already tried restoring the iPhone to the factory settings, which still installs 6.0.1. I did get a little more information. I wonder if the issue might be with their Exchange configuration. I've asked what happens when they try sending the emails. Do they not show up, or do they arrive without the attachment?

"The problem is not with the phone, itself. If I attach a picture to my GMAIL email, it sends without an issue. The problem is exclusively with pictures going out via Exchange/Outlook. So, of course, this is a massive problem for my President & my Managing Director, who are off-site, working at the building that's untenantable after Sandy."
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

She/they may want to try deleting and recreating the Exchange accounts...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH

I suggested that when I asked about what happens when a message with the photo attachment is sent. We'll see what she says.
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to bjf123

This, Caching Apple's Signature Server, will allow you to downgrade (and without jailbreaking).

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

No, not exactly.

You need to have your SHSH Blobs on file from previously jailbreaking the phone or actively storing them in the caching server using TinyUmbrella.

On top of that, many newer devices cannot be downgraded even with the SHSH Blobs. More information in the first two posts here:
»blog.iphone-dev.org
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH

She tried deleting and recreating the Exchange account to no avail. She spoke to someone at Apple and they confirmed it's a known issue between Exchange and iOS 6.0.1. It only affects emails with attachments, though it must be only certain installations / versions of Exchange or the problem would be a much bigger news story.
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Thinkdiff

I thought you had to have uploaded the blobs for the device previously, but when I re-read it, it didn't make that clear (or I missed it).

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to bjf123

I'm sure Apple will have it fixed soon. A work around for the time being would be to use a public folder on Dropbox or Skydrive for Docs & Pics. Not ideal but easier than reverting to an older IOS.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

TryIMAP

@pnap.net

Or use/enable IMAP on the Exhange server and configure the iOS mail client to treat the Exhange server as an IMAP server.