Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

The direction for Ubuntu 13.04

said by »theravingrick.blogspot.c ··· 404.html :

The same Ubuntu will be on you phone, your tablet, your netbook, your laptop, your workstation, you cloud server hosts, and the instances powering workloads in your public and private clouds.
By 14.04 expand Ubuntu to include mobile form factors, such as phones and tablets
In 13.04 we will change our full testing cadence from testing at each Alpha or Beta milestone, to doing full test runs every 2 weeks. This is about a 3 times increase in the rate of manual community testing. Furthermore, we will test more broadly, more deeply, and more rigorously, so that we will have a more complete view of the quality of Ubuntu during the development release.
Finally, after 13.04 ships, we will start doing updates in a new way. After 13.04 is a stable release, updates to that release will not be delivered to all users when available. Rather, updates will go out to a small number of users, and the system will automatically monitory whoopsie-daisy to ensure that users aren't experiencing issues due to the update before releasing the update to yet more users. We call this "phased updates".
Only when a package is built succesffull along with all of it's dependencies are the packages copied into the release pocket and go out to the wider development release. This means that there will be no more breakages due to out of sync packages when you update. Compiz and Nux will always be built together before they are copied over. The whole xorg stack too.
By 14.04 we expect most applications to be run in a secure manner, so that poorly written or even malicious applications will have limited opportunity to do damage to a users system. In 13.04 the Security Team is moving ahead with lots of work to enable App Armour throughout Ubuntu, in addition to isolating some common infrastructure in use today, such as online accounts, gnome-keyring, and even dbus.
Since the advent of daily quality, Ubuntu can install pretty much every day. Furthermore, we are opting for much more frequent testing than the milestones allowed. Therefore, the Alphas and Betas have limited utility, but would have continued to sap our development velocity. So, in 13.04, Ubuntu is making the bold move of skipping all Alphas, and having just a single Beta! This also allowed us to extend certain freezes, especially Feature Freeze. The new schedule has a much more time for finishing features and fixing bugs, and much less time in freezes.

anon posts
@proxad.net

anon posts

Anon

Ubuntu lovers, why not try something else?

Mint, Aptosid, Gentoo, Slackware: I dunno, just try something else.

Go back to Ubuntu later if you must. But really, do yourself a favor and try a regular Linux distro that has a more straightforward and emancipating relationship with its users.

All the best,
AP

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by anon posts :

Ubuntu lovers, why not try something else?

Mint, Aptosid, Gentoo, Slackware: I dunno, just try something else.

I'm not usually pro-Ubuntu, because I use it regularly and I'm not crazy about its direction, but why would you say this?

If I'm reading the release correctly it seems that they're changing their official updating system so that breakage becomes less common for Ubuntu users.

All in all I don't consider this a bad thing either, for obvious reasons.

Lastly if you want the blood, what stopping you from installing a repo with cutting edge releases and installing from there?

Stuff to ponder, but I feel that a stabler experience for users who want to use their computers rather than maintain them is a nice option to have, especially if you can still go all-out bleeding edge with PPAs and such.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

I would agree with his sentiment to the extent that all Linux users should do some distro and DE hopping from time to time. I have Debian running on my Raspberry Pi and FC running on my XO. I've done Gentoo and Slackware installs in a VM. All paths lead me back to Ubuntu. If I where to choose a different distro it would probably be Gentoo.
Given the amount of involvement I have had with Ubuntu I find that the lengths (and cash) that Canonical goes through to interact directly with its users is first class. They have easily dropped a couple hundred on me personally, and I'm just nobody from nowhere important.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I would distro hop, but I don't feel like reinstalling World of warcraft every time that I do.
As my HDD has limited space, installing various distros isn't an option either. Though I guess I could run them from a thumb drive, as I have a few 4GB ones laying around.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

1 recommendation

El Quintron

Premium Member

If I were in your shoes, (need WoW or something else that requires Ubuntu) I'd just run alternate OSes with a virtual machine, you get to try em out, and then dump them without re-installing.
El Quintron

El Quintron to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
said by Maxo:

I would agree with his sentiment to the extent that all Linux users should do some distro and DE hopping from time to time.

I agree that everyone should distro hop, my reply to AP, was because I felt his/her criticism of Ubuntu was unfounded in this case.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

I agree that everyone should distro hop, my reply to AP, was because I felt his/her criticism of Ubuntu was unfounded in this case.

I agree. It is completely unrelated to this thread.
Like you I am glad that there has been a sustained focus on thorough automated testing.
darthanubis
join:2010-01-05
Chesterfield, VA

1 recommendation

darthanubis to anon posts

to anon posts
PPAs, can't get enough of them. If it were not for PPAs I'd just run Debian/KDE.